Immersion fuse or MCB? | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Immersion fuse or MCB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current draw will remain the same whether it's a 13amp fuse or a 16amp mcb.
No it will not. A double socket is rated to draw 20A (it can draw 26A), yet they are are ubiquitous on rings. That is one point off a final ring. A 16A MCB, one point off a final ring, draws less than a common double socket.

No it will not. A double socket is rated to draw 20A (it can draw 26A), yet they are are ubiquitous on rings. That is one point off a final ring. A 16A MCB, one point off a final ring, draws less than a common double socket.

But that's not what you said is it John.

Any advantage, no matter how small, would make a DP superior to SP.
One advantage would be safe local isolation.
There are other advantages, but I really can't be bothered arguing about the obvious.
On the Continent all breakers in the CU are dp. It is abundantly obvious dp is superior.

If you plug a 3 amp load into a 100 amp circuit, it will draw 3 amps

If you plug the same 3 amp load into a 200 amp circuit, it will draw exactly the same.

The outlet doesn't draw anything, it's the appliance that draws the current.

If you plug a 3 amp load into a 100 amp circuit, it will draw 3 amps

If you plug the same 3 amp load into a 200 amp circuit, it will draw exactly the same.
A double socket's max load is rated to draw 20A (it can draw 26A if two 13A appliances are plugged in). On a ring that is say a 20A thru that socket and that point on the ring. As I wrote that is one point off a final ring. A 16A MCB, is one point off a final ring, drawing less than a common double socket on a ring. So to those who say a ring only takes 13A, not so. Even with no 16A MCB off a ring, far more than 16A can be drawn from one point.

Last edited:
A double socket's max load is rated to draw 20A (it can draw 26A if two 13A appliances are plugged in). On a ring that is say a 20A thru that socket and that point on the ring. As I wrote that is one point off a final ring. A 16A MCB, is one point off a final ring, drawing less than a common double socket on a ring. So to those who say a ring only takes 13A, not so. Even with no 16A MCB off a ring, far more than 16A can be drawn from one point.
Well done, some very useful information that I'm sure hardly anyone knew.

I don't think anyone on here is in any doubt that a double socket on a ring can draw more than 13 Amps. This is very basic stuff.

You do realise this is a forum for electricians right? I think you are underestimating the knowledge and experience of people considerably.

Or you're just trolling John.

I don't think anyone on here is in any doubt that a double socket on a ring can draw more than 13 Amps. This is very basic stuff.

You do realise this is a forum for electricians right? I think you are underestimating the knowledge and experience of people considerably.

Or you're just trolling John.
Some of the comments indicate a clear lack of understanding. Many think a point off a ring cannot draw more than 13A. When final rings were formulated they only had single 13A socket outlets. This is not is so, as a max' 16A appliance can be taken taken off a ring. Some here think a sp breaker has no advantage over a dp. No kidding. This thread casts doubts of the technical understanding of many contributors, although some are good.
You are confused having the wrong person.

What is evident is how many take matters to a personal level, or engage in ad hom' attacks on this forum rather than sticking to the technical issues at hand. A sign of insecurity for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion fuse or MCB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net