Installing ceiling lights but there is no earth | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Installing ceiling lights but there is no earth in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam4466

DIY
Reaction score
I’m trying to fit a new ceiling light pendant.
the pendant has a small connector with blue,brown and green/yellow wires.

however on the ceiling , there is just one basic pendant with 2 cords attached (blue and brown) so there’s no earth.

There is no ceiling rose l,think when they installed sound proofing,the ceiling rose was covered under the sound proofing,and now there is only one pendant wire hanging out or ceiling which has blue and brown cord.

How do I proceed? can I just connect blue and brown to the new pendant with no earth?

photos attached.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Installing ceiling lights but there is no earth
    B1894BCE-6375-4818-9358-3E01397004CE.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 13
    E0C33E60-0278-4820-9F11-78B063170501.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 14
    06BD569A-FAD1-405C-A524-DEA22708C8DD.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 14
What happens if I just connect the live/neutral cords to the new connector and skip the earth as there is no earth available.

(there is possibly earth connected to the original ceiling rose which is now buried under the ceiling sound proofing with no access)

it will work but it's potentially dangerous. if a fault developes in the fitting, the metal casing will become live, without earth connected, the breaker will not trip and you could end up brown bread.

There is no ceiling rose.
I’ve attarched some pictures to my first post.
The ceiling rose was covered when they fitted sound proofing and plastered the ceiling.
Now there is just one cord hanging out of ceiling (which has live and neutral).

it will work but it's potentially dangerous. if a fault developes in the fitting, the metal casing will become live, without earth connected, the breaker will not trip and you could end up brown bread.
Is there anything I can do to reduce such risk,for example cover the metal interior of this pendant with plastic tape etc? also is it still dangerous even if original fittings in the ceiling has earth already?
sorry if all this sounds silly!
can’t believe I am limited to just one basic light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

Whoever fitted the soundproofing has contravened the electrical regs by burying the rose .
Your complaint should be aimed at them.

P.s. you don’t have to be an electrician or touch any wires to make something that was compliant, non compliant.

Whoever fitted the soundproofing has contravened the electrical regs by burying the rose .
Your complaint should be aimed at them.

P.s. you don’t have to be an electrician or touch any wires to make something that was compliant, non compliant.
it's a rented property and soundproofing was fitted by landlord.
I think I'll start looking for these double insulated lights that don't need earth it's a shame because I already bought these spotlight pendant.

I'm surprised at that. As a landlord myself I would not want a tenant changing light fittings. You never, someone may just change one for a class I fitting and leave it unearthed!
Well I'm responsible hence why asking to do it properly and safely..also these can be reversed back to original or if left modified,it's at my own expense and something added to the value of their property.
I mean a free modern spotlight bought by me vs their cheap boring single bulb hanging from ceiling.

Well I'm responsible hence why asking to do it properly and safely..also these can be reversed back to original or if left modified,it's at my own expense and something added to the value of their property.
I mean a free modern spotlight bought by me vs their cheap boring single bulb hanging from ceiling.

Well as long as you've cleared it with your landlord. But to my mind, the fact that you are asking if you can just leave the earth disconnected is quite worrying. I accept that you have asked on here for advice though, which is good.

Well as long as you've cleared it with your landlord. But to my mind, the fact that you are asking if you can just leave the earth disconnected is quite worrying. I accept that you have asked on here for advice though, which is good.
I know there are people who don't even care about earth, the landord themselves were negligent covering the ceiling rose and earth under sound proofing, but yeah I just asked, and won't do it if it's unsafe.

Reply to Installing ceiling lights but there is no earth in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net