Ip44 230v zone 1?! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Ip44 230v zone 1?! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

in any zone RCD protection is required. not just zone 1. IP44 is suitable for installation in zones 1 and 2.

Minimum requirements for zones 1 and 2 is IPX4. The presence of additional rcd protection does not affect this rating.

Zones 1 & 2 the equipment must be IPX4 so IP44 is fine unless you are using water jets where IPX5 is required.

Minimum requirements for zones 1 and 2 is IPX4. The presence of additional rcd protection does not affect this rating.
agreed, though any circuit within or passing through the zones required RCD protection, irrespective of it's IP rating and suitability for installation within zones. manufacturers need to get a grip and supply instructions that are compliant and not confusing.

agreed, though any circuit within or passing through the zones required RCD protection, irrespective of it's IP rating and suitability for installation within zones. manufacturers need to get a grip and supply instructions that are compliant and not confusing.
I agree but existing installations may not have additional rcd protection however you can still replace a like for like/similar light fitting as you are not altering the circuit.

in any zone RCD protection is required. not just zone 1. IP44 is suitable for installation in zones 1 and 2.
The zones are from the finished floor level what if you shower try is not on the finished floor level what if its raised up 6inches would you measure the zone from the tray or the bathroom floor

showers spray the water jets donwards. something to do with gravity.they ain't spraying up to the light unless it's a cat having a shower, then all bets are off. them pesky felines pi$$ anywhere.

The height of zone 1 and zone 2 are limited either by the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet, or the horizontal plane lying 2.25 m above the finished floor level, whichever is higher.
So it is the finished floor level you go off.

The zones are from the finished floor level what if you shower try is not on the finished floor level what if its raised up 6inches would you measure the zone from the tray or the bathroom floor
floor. that's what it sez in the magic picture book, commonly called on site guide.
;

The height of zone 1 and zone 2 are limited either by the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet, or the horizontal plane lying 2.25 m above the finished floor level, whichever is higher.
last time i experienced a horizontal plane,I was landing it. makes a right mess if you hit the runway at 45 degrees.

Can we see this fitting and where are you installing it.
I want to put it above my shower its a small shower room so the tray takes up most of the room...

From the tray to the ceiling it measures about 2.15m so the light would be just above the shower head

But from the floor to the ceiling it measures 2.4m there is a massive step into the shower

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Ip44 230v zone 1?!
    16087548787805874719257845300547.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 9
It does suprise me that a room containing a bath/shower isn't IP66 /IPX6 as minimum, purely based on the fact you can fill a cupped hand with water and throw it at the ceiling/light fitting, same with a showerhead (unless fixed spraying vertically down - Just with improved accuracy thanks to the Jetstream)

If you throw a cupped hand of water at an IPX4 rating fitting it should be protected. This rating is for splashing of liquid from any direction.
You said you would use a higher ip rated fitting but the ip44 fitting complies?

Its hard to find ipx5 or 6 or 7 lights i have been looking for ages :/

Water jets as in above a shower but still in zone 1
This is mainly aimed at water jets used for washing and cleaning that are not from a fixed source, so a standard shower head pointing downwards would not apply.

If you had one of those fancy showers with several wall mounted heads that automatically rotate and spray water everywhere, much like an automatic car wash, then you would need a better IP rating.

Although the zones do have a height limitation there's the application of common sense, what's the likelihood that the fitting will come into contact with water and in what amount? In the vast majority of applications IP44 is more than acceptable, BS7671 gives us the minimum rating to work to.

Reply to Ip44 230v zone 1?! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net