Is testing of mobile catering vans any different to domestic/commercial | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is testing of mobile catering vans any different to domestic/commercial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

I have been offered to do testing on mobile catering vans. Is this any different to ordinary testing in domestic or commercial? I have said no on the basis I don't have any experience of this area. However the person offering is gas safe and done 2330 previously and is questioning me as to what is the difference. Some are connected to gennys and some to fixed wiring on sites. Any thoughts?

The inspection should proceed pretty much as normal, with considerations for mobile units, wiring types and methods of protection, it would be expected in most cases to be able to connect to a supply for testing purposes only.
Because the unit may be used on various supplies it should be designed to be compliant immaterial of the type of supply to which it is connected. Obviously values obtained in testing with the external supply cannot be valid for the unit itself on an ongoing basis.
Consider the possible supplies that could be connected and make allowance for them. Generally RCD protection covers most values of Ze that may be relevant.

EICR completed as normal referencing section 7. Ze/PFC recorded on cert but annotated that only valid at time of test due to this being a transportable unit.

I've done quite a few similar units in the past, trailer mounted mobile phone sites for large events that run off a genny. Nothing too untoward, main one being flexible cables should be used and not solid etc. as terminations can vibrate loose when the vehicle is moving around.

Of course my post was a joke. Didn't the the o_O face give it away?
kid-sticking-out-his-tongue.jpg

Thinking about your question Vorti, been looking at various things, come to the conclusion, that maybe ISITEE CoP the old PATesting may be your best way out of this dilema, what are peoples thought on my idea?
If you check in the CoP you may find that your trailer comes under a "transportable or Mobile item" get hold of a copy and check

You would still need to carry out all tests like IR and earth continuity to all points.
Not disputing that point Westy, just get wound up when people dispute something out of hand, I don't have a copy of the CoP so prooving of my assumptionwill be difficult, but if the person who discarded my idea out of hand, comes up with some evidence I will of course retract my statement. I was just throwing it in as an idea anyway.

I was just throwing it in as an idea anyway.
Rest easy I don't think many would do that with you. I was thinking that comes into it ISITEE, and I think generally around maintenance and testing the principles in the CoP are very transferable to a lot of electrical testing and inspection as well as maintenance.

Not disputing that point Westy, just get wound up when people dispute something out of hand, I don't have a copy of the CoP so prooving of my assumptionwill be difficult, but if the person who discarded my idea out of hand, comes up with some evidence I will of course retract my statement. I was just throwing it in as an idea anyway.
If you're going to throw around random ideas "off-hand" it seems appropriate that they should also be discarded "off-hand".

disagree.jpg
... And there's the 'disagree' with no explanation which you get so up-tight about anyone else doing. Good, double whammy... Or perhaps a 'triple whammy' if you're trying to count them at this time of day.

Quick pass the tampax 2 sparks are disagreeing lol

Reply to Is testing of mobile catering vans any different to domestic/commercial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net