Is there a tool for cutting normal live T&E? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is there a tool for cutting normal live T&E? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mickey Goldmill

Recently I had a job where I had to cut a 6mm and a 2.5mm live cable and terminate into a JB. I had to strip the cable with an insulated stanly, and then separate the wires and terminate each one.

I was just wondering if there is a tool that would do this cutting job without having to separate the cables? Something like sharp ceramic snips or something of the sort that would not conduct the electricity and would allow to cut directly through a live cable?

TIA

I never said it's not againts regs? I said its against the EAWR which is statutory...regardless of what YOU refer too, the regs aren't.

Look, your idea of a tool to cut live cables in frankly ridiculous - no matter what or how, you can't guarantee the copper conductors will not make contact with one an another.

As for working 'live' ...the tangent this thread seems to be heading towards - we've all worked live, i will agree, and providing you know what you're doing it's up to you whether you take the risk - doesn't mean it's correct or that i'd condone it.

Just another thing, your little quote doesn't mention cutting through live cables.

''live work may be carried out where it is impracticable to isolate the supply'' I'm looking now for where thats stated but I'll find it Electricians can and do work live bet you have a nice set of VDE snips, screwdrivers, etc or whatever in your toolbox.

I was present when cheltenham upper hatherley Safeways was taken off a huge temporary generator the size of a artic trailer and connected up to the mains the DNA were there too live work undertaken.

I was also present at a astra zeneca chemical plant huge switch rooms where working live was under taken only by the most competant electricans there old boys who new just exactly what they were doing. Because it was ''impracticable'' not to

With respect

I never said it's not againts regs? I said its against the EAWR which is statutory...regardless of what YOU refer too, the regs aren't.

Look, your idea of a tool to cut live cables in frankly ridiculous - no matter what or how, you can't guarantee the copper conductors will not make contact with one an another.

As for working 'live' ...the tangent this thread seems to be heading towards - we've all worked live, i will agree, and providing you know what you're doing it's up to you whether you take the risk - doesn't mean it's correct or that i'd condone it.

Just another thing, your little quote doesn't mention cutting through live cables.

You are right, it doesn't, but there is enough of a grey area in the SECTA to be doing that. As far as I know, there is no guideline stating that a live cable cannot be bisected, as long as you are authorized to do so and it's all been signed off through the proper authorities. Which I always have been. Obviously, I don't broadcast this to NICEIC as all my work now is done through my local council.

Working live is against all H&S and electricity at work act....were deemed inpracable...then there is a long winded risk assessment to be followed...but in this day an age the is no reason to work live....from London underground to major construction I can not see a need to work live

This thread is rapidly straying...

i have not said you can't work live.

In cases, as tesla has pointed out - its impracticable. But, if you read part 14 of the EAWR....

Work on or near live conductors14. No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless–
(a)it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and
(b)it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and
(c)suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

And now you relate it to the OP ... i don't think the EAWR would be in your favour, it's not impracticable, it's more like be sensible and make the client find access to the below shop.

And also, back on topic - it definitley would not be in your favour if you were trying to find a way of cutting through cables live.

Working live is against all H&S and electricity at work act....were deemed inpracable...then there is a long winded risk assessment to be followed...but in this day an age the is no reason to work live....from London underground to major construction I can not see a need to work live

I think in an ideal world there is no need to work live but it is undertaken

''live work may be carried out where it is impracticable to isolate the supply'' I'm looking now for where thats stated but I'll find it Electricians can and do work live bet you have a nice set of VDE snips, screwdrivers, etc or whatever in your toolbox.

I was present when cheltenham upper hatherley Safeways was taken off a huge temporary generator the size of a artic trailer and connected up to the mains the DNA were there too live work undertaken.

I was also present at a astra zeneca chemical plant huge switch rooms where working live was under taken only by the most competant electricans there old boys who new just exactly what they were doing. Because it was ''impracticable'' not to

With respect

I assume you meant the DNO? Well, well I worked for Darsems, and we were sent to cap off supply's, the DNO's were always called, but as ALL the properties were flats, the DNO's never ever bothered coming to disconnect any supply's. All the jobs we had were where the DNO box was in boxed off place in the house, flat, etc and we couldn't gain access.

Reply to Is there a tool for cutting normal live T&E? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net