Leaving jobs before completion | Page 7 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title, anyone here got experience of leaving jobs part way through?

I've a client we've been doing some major work for that is pi$$ing me right off. Making all sorts of unreasonable demands and is now saying that the work he's been really happy with up to now is a load of crap and has taken us too long and cost him too much. All payments so far are up to date so I'm not out of pocket, but in his mind I'm being unreasonable, in my mind he's being unreasonable.

I'd rather do without the aggro so have essentially told him to find someone else to second fix the project as I'm no longer interested. Things is, if I bail, he's pretty much buggered as he'll have to find another spark to start in a weeks time which is highly unlikely.

That im not so much bothered with, but it's the bovine excrement he's likely to start spreading about me that I am.

I can go into real detail if anyone wants.

Any thoughts?

DS. I think you have dealt with it well!

I have only ever left one job, it was early days and my gut told me how it was going to pan out, again no money owed. Felt guilty but also quite liberating at the time.

and nearly another time as the spreads were plastering the walls before i first fixed, it was the builder trying to gee me up, thought that was clever so I packed up and told the chief spread to let me know when it was dry so I could come back and smash it all off.... His brow furrowed and got on the blower! They disappeared for a few hours.....

For what it's worth DS, VoltzElectrical was wound up on the back of a 'walkaway'. The company who we took the 'labour only' job on for, wanted to redraw the payment schedule two thirds of the way through, which would have left us high and dry given the way the main contractor was running the schedule of works.

We tried negotiating in the full knowledge that we intended to walk if the original payment schedule was not adhered to. We even agreed that the firm could take back over the job and we would work for them as subbies on price. When we priced out the individual components of the job, it came out as the original total so we weren't ripping them off. They wanted to slash the price of every aspect so we walked and wound up the company.

Now i work for the Local Authority which has it's own set of hassles!

Voltz.

Giving him a slap would gain me nothing. I'm satisfied enough washing my hands of him.

It would have earnt you a reputation as being a thug and a possible criminal record. If you ever have to do it, make sure it's done in private.

You're out of it now, good luck to you and good luck to him.

I've had a ping pong with a difficult client - who asked me to come back and complete - so I popped round and checked what was left .... then sent an estimate to cover the works - got an email back saying go ahead etc..

So today I get a snotty email asking to make savings (the work is worth about £160 and includes about £60 parts), blah blah blah....

so my response was

"At the end of the day if your budget is that tight how come you are still spending money on fittings and furnishings? We are still using a clothes rail in our bedroom rather than committing to any wardrobes until our issues and costs with the extension are understood."

I simply don't care if he cancels me now.

Reply to Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net