maintenance electrician's role | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss maintenance electrician's role in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinh287

Got a job interview tomorrow for a hospital maintenance electrician. Just wondering roughly what the job will entail if anyone has done a similar job. So I have half a idea as to what will be expected of me and can have a think bout the sort of technical questions that might be aimed at me. I have no experience whatsoever of been a maintenence electrician just installations so any heads up would be appreciated cheers

I worked in NHS estates for 10 years in a managerial role. And what everyone else has said is pretty true. The vast majority of your work will be changing lamps, resetting MCBs, mite change the odd faulty switch. If you work in mental health you might b lucky enough to get damaged fittings and fixtures to replace. The rest of your time will be spent isolating circuits for contractors, hiding, looking busy and in meetings. If your from an installation role you will be bored!!

I'm back on the tools now, started a role 4 months ago in maintenance (pubs, hotels, restaurants) and I have never been so bored in my life. I'm looking to get back into installation.

On the positives, permenant role, hol pay, sick pay, pension, on call payments. Lazy life, easy life. Finish at 4.30 everyday or before. Only have to go to same place everyday. Maintenance appears to have been recession proof.

But don't think job for life it doesn't exist in the NHS anymore.

On the positives, permenant role, hol pay, sick pay, pension, on call payments. Lazy life, easy life. Finish at 4.30 everyday or before. Only have to go to same place everyday. Maintenance appears to have been recession proof.

But don't think job for life it doesn't exist in the NHS anymore.

Unless it's a shift position, then it's messed up sleep and feeling ill all the time... Something the majority of Managers' have no idea about.

Good job they know nothing about shift work. They could have woken me up!

Hehe, wish that had been true when I did nightshift. Was literally all-go the whole night. One night I was woken up by a fellow engineer with him hanging onto my arm...I had been perched on the end of a palletiser while he went to get a spare part and had fallen asleep, perched on the edge of the machine 12 feet up. He was terrified of waking me up in case I started and fell off :)

I have been doing maintenance in a corporate building for 10 months now, it's as good as the people you work with. I do prefer installations but this is a secure position. A lot of politics and emails having to be sent just before you can isolate a mcb. We do generator tests and yes there is always Lamping.

Reply to maintenance electrician's role in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net