Metal comduit as cpc | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Metal comduit as cpc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryan24

Hi all.

whats people's thoughts on having class 1 switches and fittings on an installation that is wired in old imperial conduit acting as the sole cpc? If there's a fly-lead from switch to back box surely this will be fine? Getting a lot of mixed anwsers on this some saying no good others saying perfectly fine? I personally think it's not a problem as conduit can be the best cpc you get. Any one else dealt with this? Thanks

The metal conduit or metal containment Zs value is not just fine it will generally knock a separate CPC value in to a cock's hat!! There is not a single CPC conductor in any of our conduit installations and this project is a good 85+% conduit install for final circuits!!
your right there, we did a a rooftop plantroom, there was that much steel iin there we barely got a reading doing R2 tests

conduit, your joking?

there is no containment in the am2 now

It's WHY you need NVQ3 these days, the essential bare bones of the real electrical industry is no longer being taught. All they want to turn out these days, are electricians able to work in the domestic sector!!

And a good many of those NVQ3 being awarded are being gained fraudulently....

It's WHY you need NVQ3 these days, the essential bare bones of the real electrical industry is no longer being taught. All they want to turn out these days, are electricians able to work in the domestic sector!!

And a good many of those NVQ3 being awarded are being gained fraudulently....

AND, ..a good deal of these under qualified are overconfidently taking their lack of knowledge and experience into the industrial and commercial sectors of our game.

Why bother about qualifications or experience when you can get a job done cheaper

The ignorant wonder why the experienced amongst us are worried!!!!

AND, ..a good deal of these under qualified are overconfidently taking their lack of knowledge and experience into the industrial and commercial sectors of our game.

Why bother about qualifications or experience when you can get a job done cheaper

The ignorant wonder why the experienced amongst us are worried!!!!

Can't see how the wannabes would survive in an industrial environment or in a fair sized commercial project without metal containment skills, which virtually none of them will possess...
The vast majority of them are sole traders masquerading as electricians, bodging around in unsuspecting peoples homes!!

Can't see how the wannabes would survive in an industrial environment or in a fair sized commercial project without metal containment skills, which virtually none of them will possess...
The vast majority of them are sole traders masquerading as electricians, bodging around in unsuspecting peoples homes!!

That's just it, it's not in fair sized projects, it's alterations in factories where I'm coming across it, and they seem to get away with it. As you say, the vast majority are just bodging around in peoples homes. A great deal of my income has come from work in small local industry over the last 30 years, maintaining and installing machines or just general installation. Some of the installation work I'm coming across, these days, is just downright pathetic......and unsafe. Can't even bend or ream conduit, some of these idiots....every bend has to be maufactured..and when it comes to circuit alterations they just couldn't care less, as long as it operates. Rubbish, believe me.

That's just it, it's not in fair sized projects, it's alterations in factories where I'm coming across it, and they seem to get away with it. As you say, the vast majority are just bodging around in peoples homes. A great deal of my income has come from work in small local industry over the last 30 years, maintaining and installing machines or just general installation. Some of the installation work I'm coming across, these days, is just downright pathetic......and unsafe. Can't even bend or ream conduit, some of these idiots....every bend has to be maufactured..and when it comes to circuit alterations they just couldn't care less, as long as it operates. Rubbish, believe me.
this will make you lol.

a pipe fitting firm is hired by main contractor to do a large job.

they then sub out all electrical, mechanical work etc and try to organise it.

sit back, feet up and lol

There's quite a few house bashers finding their way into commercial and industrial installs up my way too, just done an eicr for an engineering firm who let some house bashers loose on thier install as they were "value for money", twin and earths cable tied to trunking and conduits then open gromits used to get them into DB's or isolators, no CPC's for most circuits due to steel containment which was fine until the domestic muppets who can't work with galv pipe use plastic instead but don't take a CPC down from the trunking or fresh air out of a lidless trunking and go down the wall in plastic mini trunking. Took me ages to write up all the observations and from memory there were about 200 in total, now the engineering firm are up **** creek with their insurance company and are looking at a big bill to sort it all out

I come across loads of bodged work from house bashers and short course lads who blag thier way into a few of the chemical plants and a CHP plant I do work on too, one of the best was a lad who drilled a load of vapour proof lights to mount them with cable ties as he couldn't be arsed to mount them properly, last I heard he was a tutor at one of the local colleges

anyway getting back to the OP, nothing wrong with it if the steel pipes done right it'll put a separate CPC to shame any day of the week

There's quite a few house bashers finding their way into commercial and industrial installs up my way too, just done an eicr for an engineering firm who let some house bashers loose on thier install as they were "value for money", twin and earths cable tied to trunking and conduits then open gromits used to get them into DB's or isolators, no CPC's for most circuits due to steel containment which was fine until the domestic muppets who can't work with galv pipe use plastic instead but don't take a CPC down from the trunking or fresh air out of a lidless trunking and go down the wall in plastic mini trunking. Took me ages to write up all the observations and from memory there were about 200 in total, now the engineering firm are up **** creek with their insurance company and are looking at a big bill to sort it all out

I come across loads of bodged work from house bashers and short course lads who blag thier way into a few of the chemical plants and a CHP plant I do work on too, one of the best was a lad who drilled a load of vapour proof lights to mount them with cable ties as he couldn't be arsed to mount them properly, last I heard he was a tutor at one of the local colleges

anyway getting back to the OP, nothing wrong with it if the steel pipes done right it'll put a separate CPC to shame any day of the week
a floor in a new hospital wing in brum was done by house bashers.

the work wasnt great, everyone had finished before them and got called into help (different firm on each floor)

took one of the muppets a month to do 1 db lol

this size

[ElectriciansForums.net] Metal comduit as cpc

Tough ----, you get what you pay for.

I very much doubt that. The required insurance is prohibitive without a track record. £1M wouldn’t get you through the door.
But what do I know, I was only the company site agent.

Tough ----, you get what you pay for.

I very much doubt that. The required insurance is prohibitive without a track record. £1M wouldn’t get you through the door.
But what do I know, I was only the company site agent.

Your right there Tony it's a shame it doesn't happen to more companies that take the cheap option

Again re the insurance your right BUT these chancers end up on these sites on the books with a firm that has the required insurances in place or through an agency, in most cases they don't last much longer than a single job but a lot of damage can be done by then

Reply to Metal comduit as cpc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net