MFT 1710 or 1720? help me decide | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss MFT 1710 or 1720? help me decide in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just blown up my MFT1552 am I going to be disappointed with the 1710 in camparrison, or should I spend the extra £200 on the 1720?

If you want an equivalent, you'll need to look at the MFT1720.

It will give you following over the MFT1710:

1) Automatic start on continuity tests,
2) Insulation resistance test at 1000V,
3) The facility to reference a Ze result and hence automatically calculate an R1+R2 value (bad practice...),
4) Automatic RCD testing, 3 Phase RCD testing and programmable RCD testing,
5) Phase rotation test,
6) You can also measure current with an optional clamp accessory with the MFT1720.

The MFT1710 is primarily marketed as a Part P tester but without the automatic RCD test, which in my opinion would be a pain for any domestic installer!

agree with above ^^^^^. auto RCD test is a must for lazy buggers like me. but tbh, check out the repair cost of the 1552.

An MFT1710 could be great if you are trimming up for the summer, what with running up and back downstairs when RCD testing :sweatdrop:

In all seriousness though - it's great value from Megger. And you could always conduct your RCD tests at the consumer unit/distribution board.

But as Tel says, the Megger MFT1552 is an outstanding tester. A repair cost may come in far less expensive than you think, especially if you're thinking of spending between 460-660+VAT on a new MFT.

I think it's personal preference - guidance note 3 states to test at the load side of the RCD, but then again I was taught to test an RCD from a socket that is being protected by that RCD.

Most RCD testers will come supplied with a 13A plug lead, as well as 3 leads, so I assume either/or method?

Agreed, Id spend the £200 on fixing & keeping.

to be honest, I can't remember how old my 1552 is, but they had only been released when I bought it. Ive had it looked at by one of the local instrument companies and apparently several of the triple layer boards have blown. I need new leads, calibration and repair so I don't think it'll take long to run up big money on a repair. Looks like its the 1720 then :-(

to be honest, I can't remember how old my 1552 is, but they had only been released when I bought it. Ive had it looked at by one of the local instrument companies and apparently several of the triple layer boards have blown. I need new leads, calibration and repair so I don't think it'll take long to run up big money on a repair. Looks like its the 1720 then :-(

The MFT1720 is a very popular choice.

As a Forum sponsor, we can offer you a 5% discount which will bring the MFT1720 down to £627+VAT. We're expecting stock from Megger any day soon, so I should think you could have one by Thursday/Friday at the latest. If you're interested, call us on 01132 48 99 66 or you can place the order online (remember to enter the code ELECFORUM into the checkout).

If you need any further advice, please don't hesistate to contact us.

think megger have a fixed repair cost of around £300. 1552 will come back as new with calibration for a year.

I've just given Megger a quick call - Tel is correct. £289+VAT and a £10+VAT for return carriage.

This is a fixed charge irrespective of what is wrong with the tester - that's £328+VAT less expensive than a Megger MFT1720 :rockon:

Reply to MFT 1710 or 1720? help me decide in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net