Moving from Economy 9 to one rate/day tariff has affected how my thermal store works | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Moving from Economy 9 to one rate/day tariff has affected how my thermal store works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Psych1965

DIY
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped my RTS meter (two rates-Economy 9) over to a Smart Meter as I want to be on a one rate tariff; my radiators are electric and I no longer have storage heaters; my only appliance that is currently on Economy 9 is my thermal store that heats my water. when the thermal store was installed I was on an economy 9 rate/tariff. I had two Timeguard timers installed that are connected to the thermal store; the timer on the left was my off-peak supply (till yesterday) and the red light was always on-indicating it had power supplied to it. That timer was connected to my lower (off peak) immersion, and right timer was for the boost on the 24/7 supply and that is connected to the top immersion.

When the electricity company meter guy came I explained that I want to keep my off-peak supply life but moved over to a 24/7 supply my electrician told me to tell him that I want both meter tails put on the 24/7 supply. He assured me that he done just that. however shortly after he left I went into the cupboard where the thermal store is I noticed that the red light on the left-hand timer was faded it was not on indicating that there was no power to that timer. The red light on the right hand timer (24/7 supply) was red-indicating that there was power coming into that timer.

So as far as I'm aware yesterday there was no warming up of my water from the lower immersion-the old off-peak supply. However this morning when I woke up I checked the cupboard and lo and behold the red light on the left timer was on so I thought problems solved an hour later I went into the cupboard again and saw that this light was off again indicating no power to the left timer. although I have times left the immersion doesn't kick in at those times the water wasn't warming up yesterday during the times I've set the timer or two and it hasn't been warming up this morning at the times at the time was set to. I do not know what caused the red light to come on this morning but somehow it has gone off again.

Having done my own research this morning looking at various articles online and different forums I'm questioning whether the time that I have connected to the off-peak is the right timer. I can't help but think that the answer to my issue lies somewhere in this thread, but I can't make head or tail of this:

Specifically this:

"My understanding is the e7bx you have is connected to both your normal rate daytime supply, and also your cheap rate supply, and provides the ability to manually switch immersions and give a boost function. It does not itself contain a timeswitch but relies on the meter cheap rate timeswitch. So daytime rate and night rate supplies in, and connections to the immersions out.

The proposed replacement is itself a timeswitch, and can control two immersions, but it only has one permanent supply in.

It depends on your supply and billing arrangements as to the viability of the swap. You would need to connect the new timeswitch to your normal rate supply for the clock to run all the time, so the question is - if you consume power during the cheap rate period from your full rate supply, are you charged at the lower rate? In which case you could wire the new timeswitch thus, and ensure the clock 'on' and 'off' periods are within your suppliers time periods.

Then you will have a live cheap rate supply cable that now has nowhere to go in the new timeswitch"!

My situation is this: I currently have two timers connected to my thermal store that heats my hot water. When I was on Economy 9, I had my Off Peak timer come on 2-3 times/day at the cheap rate times. I never had any need to use the Boost (top immersion-connected to the timer on the right).

Now that I'm on one rate/day-do I need two timers? I do want to retain the boost function, just in case I ever need to use it.

But I am confused as to why my left side timer (that was connected to my old/former Off Peak supply) is not getting Power (consistently) when it was supposed to be put on the 24/7 supply?

Is the timer that I have not compatible with a one rate/day tariff?

Photos are attached-one from last night when only the red light on the right timer was on, and then bizarrely, both red lights were on this morning-and not at a time that the timer was set to come on. And an hour later the red light on the left timer went off again.

If any of you have a clue as to what went wrong when my supply was moved from Economy 9 (two supplies) to one, please advise. I'm trying to get my electrician over on Monday.

Many thanks!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Moving from Economy 9 to one rate/day tariff has affected how my thermal store works

[ElectriciansForums.net] Moving from Economy 9 to one rate/day tariff has affected how my thermal store works

Last edited:

Reply to Moving from Economy 9 to one rate/day tariff has affected how my thermal store works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net