Mystery Item thread.... What am i? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Mystery Item thread.... What am i? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Arms
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] Mystery Item thread.... What am i?[ElectriciansForums.net] Mystery Item thread.... What am i? This is out of an old Russian lathe it has 4 contacts on it 2 x NC and 2 x NO it has a coil and on top it has a sealed oil filled reservoir.
What is its function!

Spoiler alert!!! Answer in post 9!!!

Last edited:
Nice work DW. Ideal for 10hp or thereabouts. If you decide to upgrade your sofa with an automatic starter we run a scheme here at the museum to convert redundant switchgear into beer. We do not presently have any manual star-delta starters at all, when I tried to salvage one from a capstan winch not long ago it got lost on site.
I.e. don't chuck it out.

Ive pinched it temp' as the motor and grinder they sold my client has zilch details so going to rig this up temp to check the motor speed etc, the owner of this wants it back for spare parts as he's several more doing Nail Grinding machines otherwise id have happily donated it to the beer conversion fund.

OK working on finger nails I can believe, I thought for one moment you were suggesting we were still manufacturing steel products in the UK which sounded a bit phony.

Nice work DW. Ideal for 10hp or thereabouts. If you decide to upgrade your sofa with an automatic starter we run a scheme here at the museum to convert redundant switchgear into beer. We do not presently have any manual star-delta starters at all, when I tried to salvage one from a capstan winch not long ago it got lost on site.
I.e. don't chuck it out.

About 15 years ago,which still seems like yesterday,I was stripping these out of an old NCB works by the bucket load
I made quite a few up with the best bits out of multiple units, they were still being used in the then factory units until the place was redeveloped
Its like many things,I could have saved as many as you could have wished for,but its not till years later that their historical value is appreciated ( I wonder if the modern spark would even know about having to swing that handle, and at the right time)

Likewise,when the coal tip near me closed,there was switchgear from years before I worked at the mine,that had to be 30s or 40s gear
Reyrolle switches that as kids we called the Robots,they were just scrapped,what a shame that is now

Reply to Mystery Item thread.... What am i? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net