Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well this is what happens when people bugger about with things they have little or no knowledge of how to do them properly.
You have no idea if any of these circuits are safe to energise, let alone use. There are good reasons why we test and why we test in the order that we do.
You can either get an electrician in to test this and make sure it's safe or continue to bugger about with it and hope you get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is what happens when people bugger about with things they have little or no knowledge of how to do things properly.
You have no idea if any of these circuits are safe to energise, let alone use. There are good reasons why we test and why we test in the order that we do.
You can either get an electrician in to test this and make sure it's safe or continue to bugger about with it and hope you get it right.

I think this is good advice,no disrespect intended but you are obviously out of your depth and literally messing with fire. Some people assume incorrectly that everything must be working ok if you don't hear a big bang..electricity is dangerous. You would be wise to let an electrician assess the installation.

Update:
I've just moved everything to RCD 1 (EXCEPT for the shower which is still on RCD 2). All seems fine now I powered up all big appliances And the shower at the same time for ab 3 mins now - no trips. Does it mean that I have reverted to my old set up where 2 RCD's have been installed and for the shower and one foe all others? How safe is this? Old CU has worked fine for the last couple of years now with all existing appliances except for the shower which I installed today hence the CU renewal...

Update:
I've just moved everything to RCD 1 (EXCEPT for the shower which is still on RCD 2). All seems fine now I powered up all big appliances And the shower at the same time for ab 3 mins now - no trips. Does it mean that I have reverted to my old set up where 2 RCD's have been installed one for the shower and one for all others? How safe is this? Old CU has worked fine for the last couple of years now with all existing appliances except for the shower which I installed today hence the CU renewal...

Update:
I've just moved everything to RCD 1 (EXCEPT for the shower which is still on RCD 2). All seems fine now I powered up all big appliances And the shower at the same time for ab 3 mins now - no trips. Does it mean that I have reverted to my old set up where 2 RCD's have been installed and for the shower and one foe all others? How safe is this? Old CU has worked fine for the last couple of years now with all existing appliances except for the shower which I installed today hence the CU renewal...
its seams now neutral its on the right place and not crossed any more and for that you not have any tripping..now carefully move all that circuits from RCD 1 to the original RCD you install before and see whats happened..but carefully check all neutrals if its on the right place..99% of this kind of tripping caused by cross neutrals if you understand whats mean '' cross neutral ''..

but the best advice its what Trev says to you..

tks for the advice spark123 just one question: if neutrals crossed before moving almost everything to rcd 1 then why small appliances (i.e. tv, pc even fridge) were working fine. only big appliances caused trips when powered up

no disrespect here but if I followed certain people's advice I'd probably need a quualified electrician to change a light bulb...
i thought this forum was intended for diy advise also...

u'r prob right tony as said before i am new to this forum i didn't know where to post this thread i'll know from now on :)

I agree with trev. This is a classic case of someone attempting electricial installation work without the knowledge or test equipment to make sure it is done safely. The only way forward I can see is for you to get an experienced electrician round with the proper test gear to find the fault for you. I know it sounds a bit harsh but would you attempt to replace the brakes on your car, and when they don't work go round to the main dealer and say to the mechanic, excuse me where have I gone wrong with fitting these brakes to my car, they would quite rightly say bring the car in and we will do it properly for you. It's the same thing.

In one of your posts you've said the old CU worked fine ...

Is there any reason you've decided to sling a 17th board in ? Or is it as it seems, and literally just for the hell of it.

Follow the testing sequence ... if you're not sure, like you quite clearly state then ring a professional. I'm all for helping DIY'ers where possible, but this isn't safe to advise online im afraid matey. Could be opening a can of worms here ... and for that reason, im out.

All the best.

tks for the advice spark123 just one question: if neutrals crossed before moving almost everything to rcd 1 then why small appliances (i.e. tv, pc even fridge) were working fine. only big appliances caused trips when powered up

as i know electronic equipment do not tripping RCD if there its a cross neutrals..why ???..i dont know ..same problems its happened to me a long time ago and when i investigate neutral connection i find one neutrals cross to other RCD..after i move them on the right place problem its sort out..in some old installations electricians who do not have access to the right neutral on the one circuits , borrow them from the other circuits..on my experiences i find this problems on old installation on lighting circuits..dont be surprised for that because on the electricians installation industry survive many cowboy electricians..

in the end of this story i can say '' the consumer unit installation '' its not DIY jobs man..or at list you have to be supervised by competent person..

Its not a diy job is it!!!

I mean you could argue that changing a light fitting or a socket could be done by anyone, but what you are attempting is daft. If you screw up said socket/light change the fuse might blow, if you screw up the db change you have nothing much to fall back on.
You're right you don't need a electrician to change a lightbulb (its a lamp) You do need one to change a disboard.

Reply to Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net