old rewireables.. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss old rewireables.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that I can carry out a eicr on an old rewireable fuseboard? No install so technically I don't need RCD protection on anything...? I'd prefer to change it to a 17th edition board but customer wants to keep costs at an all time low.
Any thoughts welcome.
Chris

Thanks for jumping down my throat.. Appreciated. I did say am I right in thinking...not I can't leave it in.
Someone said you can't leave it in to which I argued you can but made me doubt myself.
I just think it's better to have an 17th edition board for safety. But! I wouldn't tell a customer it's a necessity to change it, like I have already have him his options and he has decided to go with just the eicr for the time being

Thanks for jumping down my throat.. Appreciated. I did say am I right in thinking...not I can't leave it in.
Someone said you can't leave it in to which I argued you can but made me doubt myself.
I just think it's better to have an 17th edition board for safety. But! I wouldn't tell a customer it's a necessity to change it, like I have already have him his options and he has decided to go with just the eicr for the time being

I don't think it's how you asked, it's that you asked at all.

If you had explained the full reason for asking in the first post then perhaps we would have a greater understanding and you'd have been forgiven but your mate slated for suggesting such drivel.

Surely a C2 for no rcd on ground floor sockets unless there's a rcd socket outside. Portable equipment and all that eg lawn mower

Most garden equipment is class 2 so the RCD isn't fool proof.

C3 for me too. You can't go round classifying every installation without RCD's as C2's or C1's - that would get our profession a VERY bad name.

Most garden equipment is class 2 so the RCD isn't fool proof.

no matter it's classII. you get hold of the L, and the RCD will see an imbalance due to the leakage through your body and, hopefully, trip before it's lethal. no need for an earth on the equipment.

as long as the enclosure is in good condition, the circuits meet disconnection times, adequate earthing & bonding is in place and the correct fusewire is being used....then its OK....
if it complied with the edition it was installed on

Reply to old rewireables.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net