Opinions please..... | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Opinions please..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Would you regard the contactor shown to be suitable for continued service (ignore the damaged tail for the moment)?
Regards.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions please.....
    IMG00039-20130111-1731.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 284
Definitely retrievable, but i wouldn't use a file or WD40 or any other oil on the actual contact faces. Get yourself a glass fibre contact cleaning stick. For a bright metal surface without any rough contact surfaces

might have known Eng54 would be too posh for wire wool!!, you are just being pedantic, whats wrong with having brightwork that looks like its been gnawed by my dobie??

no , we're not.
ESC guides gives overheated cable insulation a code 2
so were right , you and high tower arent.
;-)

Might have known you would pick holes in it!

Fr some reason melted/scorched/burnt/singed/toasted/sunblushed cables/switches/terminals/protective devices (delete as appropriate) have never sat right with me as a code 2! but thats my opinion.

My attitude is:

Poses a immediate danger of hazard - code 1

with other events or change of circustances/ change of use/ etc would Poses a immediate danger of hazard - code 2

but as i said thats just my opinion

might have known Eng54 would be too posh for wire wool!!, you are just being pedantic, whats wrong with having brightwork that looks like its been gnawed by my dobie??

I'm not being pedantic at all, I was taught from day one never to use files on contact surfaces. A glass fibre cleaning stick will do a better job and quickly too!! I've still got several different sizes of glass fibre sticks that were issued by my first company, so the method is certainly nothing new. I'm pretty dammed sure that those here working in industry, will also be using them. Useful for a multitude of surface cleaning jobs apart from contacts etc...!!

Wire wool is no problem, but you'll be there all day long, brightening up a heavily corroded or pitted contact surface with a just bit of wire wool, you then have all the wire wool debris falling away into the guts of the unit your cleaning!! lol!!

Nothing like a bit of off topic banter then! Given that I know you guys like the full story....the property, a large domestic with a single phase supply. 10 storage heaters (on three sub boards) were being fed via the contactor, with L2 & L3 at the contactor just looped off L1 - hence the major overheating on the tail/connection. They contacted Scottish Power as the cut out "appeared to be glowing in the dark".

SP have now installed a 3 phase supply and the heaters can be distributed across all three phs - that's what I was there to look at. Like others I think the contactor is defo salvagable, but if the screw shears then who knows.

Anyone suggest a replacement contactor - current one is an Enbray 2J430 (63amp/pole). Width rather than length is going to be the problem if it has to be replaced; space is definitely at a premium.

I'm not being pedantic at all, I was taught from day one never to use files on contact surfaces. A glass fibre cleaning stick will do a better job and quickly too!! I've still got several different sizes of glass fibre sticks that were issued by my first company, so the method is certainly nothing new. I'm pretty dammed sure that those here working in industry, will also be using them. Useful for a multitude of surface cleaning jobs apart from contacts etc...!!

Wire wool is no problem, but you'll be there all day long, brightening up a heavily corroded or pitted contact surface with a just bit of wire wool, you then have all the wire wool debris falling away into the guts of the unit your cleaning!! lol!!

A fibre stick isn't going to clean that.

P.S. I’ve still got the contact file set I was issued with as an apprentice, along with needle files, the ex’s emery boards. None get used on anything but copper. Even got a 3/16 chisel for knocking copper blobs off contacts.

Reply to Opinions please..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net