Opinions please..... | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Opinions please..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Would you regard the contactor shown to be suitable for continued service (ignore the damaged tail for the moment)?
Regards.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions please.....
    IMG00039-20130111-1731.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 284
how does a copper/ grease dry out when its applyed between the connection surfaces that are tighened togeter by a bolt/nut and bolt?
copper grease doesnt "dry up" period btw the c/grease is appled to the contacting surface of the LUGS!!!

A fibre stick isn't going to clean that.

P.S. I’ve still got the contact file set I was issued with as an apprentice, along with needle files, the ex’s emery boards. None get used on anything but copper. Even got a 3/16 chisel for knocking copper blobs off contacts.

Oh yes it will, cleaned up far worse than that over the years!! You can use whatever you like on the outside, but for the actual contact surfaces, i've never used anything other than fiber sticks for cleaning and brightening contact surfaces.

Never used a contact file set, they weren't allowed by my company at that time. If the contact surface, normally contactor/relay contacts, (all were replaceable in those day's) were that badly pitted/burnt, that an excessive amount of raised contact surface needed be removed, they were replaced as a matter of course. Had some pretty big contactors at the time too. Every moving part serviceable and replaceable. Not like today's throw away stuff, some of those contactors were in service 20 plus years, when i was there!! ...lol!!

Even if use of a tool is required to access the connections ?

The OP didn't even mention an EICR, i was just stating in the event of one - i would give that a c1...and yes, even though use of a tool is required. Wouldn't you? You can't possibly tell me, that you'd leave it like that and pass it.

I agree that cleaning up and making good is the correct way to go in this situation - like i mentioned before. (but not in my original post.)

Do Not use copper grease on contacts or terminals. It dries and becomes grainy. If you must use something, use the proper Castrol electrical grease or vaseline if needs be.

There is a propriety surface conductive contact compound available, but rarely used on new clean connections. Similar to the compound used in the electronics industry to connect components to heat sinks and the like...

The OP didn't even mention an EICR, i was just stating in the event of one - i would give that a c1...and yes, even though use of a tool is required. Wouldn't you? You can't possibly tell me, that you'd leave it like that and pass it.

I agree that cleaning up and making good is the correct way to go in this situation - like i mentioned before. (but not in my original post.)

Looking back through the whole post and the picture I will put tail between legs and concede, I was a bit quick into that one apologies.

copper grease on electrical is a no no in the same way as wd40 is, if a spray lube is needed don't use wd as it is an insulator and can cause problems if it gets on contacts,think about spraying it on damp ignition leads on your car to stop them shorting.

copper grease on electrical is a no no in the same way as wd40 is, if a spray lube is needed don't use wd as it is an insulator and can cause problems if it gets on contacts,think about spraying it on damp ignition leads on your car to stop them shorting.

The principals of what you say is correct but the reason it works on damp HT leads is not because it is a insulator, it works because one of its main functions is as a moisture displacer

well perhaps forget the copper grease idea then--
i reckon the first phase has too much load on it and has overheated

Or just wasn't tight enough, that's what gets me, they bang on about using torque screwdrivers for mcb's but I get funny looks when asked why I carry a 3/8 torque wrench. I torque all lugs up, if I don't have a value to torque them too then I do it to make sure their even

Exactly, hence the name WD (Water Displacement).
Correct,actually is was called WD40 because of its water displacing properties and because it was the 40th attempt that they got the right formula.hence WD40,anyone remember the thing on tomorrows world when the stuff first came out and they sprayed it all over a drill then switched it on and dropped it in a tank of water? The drill sat on the bottom spinning away quite happily.

Reply to Opinions please..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net