radial | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I pity the electrician that comes in after you, tracing out lighting circuits and socket circuits running up and downstairs rooms. Never heard of anything so bloody stupid. You must have picked up that little Gem of a system in the States.

It's a good job that our domestics are mostly single phase, or you'll be using the Yank multi branch circuit for lighting and sockets too!! ....lol!!
sounds like a totally crap way to wire does this eng...
i mean, why the hell would someone wire like this...then run the risk of losing both lighting and power if the OPD goes for any reason?...
here has to be a safety issue here....

i mean, why the hell would someone wire like this...then run the risk of losing both lighting and power if the OPD goes for any reason?...

It is a crap wiring system, same as he is suggesting above!! I like the quote....
''decided to adopt their practice of reliabillity and install 20 and 32 amp radials'' omitting the fact that MCB tripping curves are often horrendous, more towards a type D curve!!

Or that electrical house fires in the States far exceed those in Europe. I just hope he hasn't adopted the use of wing nuts as he's prefered means of connecting conductors together, which you'll generally see in every switch and socket back box in the States!! lol!!

ive read the OPD wrong, thought it was SEPERATE radials for lighting and power? There's nothing wrong with radials in houses, especially flats where two radials used on a split RCD board can mean that a fault will only take one side of sockets out.

It is a crap wiring system, same as he is suggesting above!! I like the quote....
''decided to adopt their practice of reliabillity and install 20 and 32 amp radials'' omitting the fact that MCB tripping curves are often horrendous, more towards a type D curve!!

Or that electrical house fires in the States far exceed those in Europe. I just hope he hasn't adopted the use of wing nuts as he's prefered means of connecting conductors together, which you'll generally see in every switch and socket back box in the States!! lol!!​
i got some of these things at last years elex show in harrogate...i didn`t like them then...but as i have a propensity to just grab stuff (if its free)..i ended up with a fistfull of them..
their still in a jar at home....and thats where they are staying n all..
horrible, nasty things they are..
made by `ideal industrys` i think....
i know they use these a lot in the states....​

You only have to look at any of the Yank wiring videos on utube to see the standards they work too!! Never seen a neat and tidy cabling arrangement into the over-sized DB's or even within the DB!!
The testing liability to an installation is almost Zero in the States. You'll not see many electricians in the States with ELI, RCD tester etc, in fact lucky if they own an IR tester, ...needless to say MFT testers don't sell too well across the pond!! lol!!

You only have to look at any of the Yank wiring videos on utube to see the standards they work too!! Never seen a neat and tidy cabling arrangement into the over-sized DB's or even within the DB!!
The testing liability to an installation is almost Zero in the States. You'll not see many electricians in the States with ELI, RCD tester etc, in fact lucky if they own an IR tester, ...needless to say MFT testers don't sell too well across the pond!! lol!!
from what recall they use this king of thing:

[ElectriciansForums.net] radialand yes...no mention of IR testing here...lolffs..
i guess they use the `bang test`..lol...or just pray the GFCI holds...lol...lol...

ive read the OPD wrong, thought it was SEPERATE radials for lighting and power? There's nothing wrong with radials in houses, especially flats where two radials used on a split RCD board can mean that a fault will only take one side of sockets out.

The OP isn't using multi branch circuits!! lol!!

What the OP is stating, (from his description) is the use of 2 single lighting circuits to serve both upstairs and downstairs rooms on one circuit, same with the radial socket circuits. Not as we would do, a separate lighting/power circuits for downstairs and a lighting/power circuits for upstairs.

Those things are actually quite good, and provide a multitude of tests including GFI testing. Only problem is, very few electricians own one!! lol!!
well...i`v got MFTs/seperates, multimeters, leakage & current clamps, voltage indicators etc coming out of my ears...lol...
nah...i dont think i`d want one of them eng...lol..
i`v got more than enough to cover what that thing is capable of doing...

I pity the electrician that comes in after you, tracing out lighting circuits and socket circuits running up and downstairs rooms. Never heard of anything so bloody stupid. You must have picked up that little Gem of a system in the States.

It's a good job that our domestics are mostly single phase, or you'll be using the Yank multi branch circuit for lighting and sockets too!! ....lol!!
Mmm, an interesting reply, i'll bet your one of these loud mouths that never shuts up about your self importance and how good you think you are when your at work, in the wholesalers, in the pub, and maybe when you're on the other job. Lol!!!

In your comment about another sparky following me with regards to a fault and having to run up and down stairs?there are still homes in the UK that still have one ring serving every outlet in the home on more than one floor. A 30/32 amp ring main, probably the most dangerous circuit that exist in the world, but yet you laugh at the Yank system?

The niccy never had a problem with my choice of selection for circuit design, in fact they were impressed that I had managed to implement a wiring system without departing from bs 7671, and at the same time improve reliabilty without putting a whole floor in darkness, in the event of a nuisance trip from a split board. And also remain competetive, the main reason why I do domestic. Most of all, they didn't think I was bloody stupid as you put it.

And yes, I would include lights and power on the same circuit if the terminals were large enough in the light switches to take 2 or more 2.5.mm conductors, and the contacts were sufficiently rated along with the lighting accessories. Without using a fuse spur. I can't see how that would constitute a departure.

Mmm, an interesting reply, i'll bet your one of these loud mouths that never shuts up about your self importance and how good you think you are when your at work, in the wholesalers, in the pub, and maybe when you're on the other job. Lol!!!

In your comment about another sparky following me with regards to a fault and having to run up and down stairs?there are still homes in the UK that still have one ring serving every outlet in the home on more than one floor. A 30/32 amp ring main, probably the most dangerous circuit that exist in the world, but yet you laugh at the Yank system?

The niccy never had a problem with my choice of selection for circuit design, in fact they were impressed that I had managed to implement a wiring system without departing from bs 7671, and at the same time improve reliabilty without putting a whole floor in darkness, in the event of a nuisance trip from a split board. And also remain competetive, the main reason why I do domestic. Most of all, they didn't think I was bloody stupid as you put it.

And yes, I would include lights and power on the same circuit if the terminals were large enough in the light switches to take 2 or more 2.5.mm conductors, and the contacts were sufficiently rated along with the lighting accessories. Without using a fuse spur. I can't see how that would constitute a departure.

Seriouslly why?

What is the actual point. Trying to make yourself look better than the 'average' spark are we. As E54 said, i pity the spark that goes into a gaff after you.

well i know i wouldn`t..lol..
so, if you lose the supply to the circuit...not only have you lost the outlets...but you wont have any lighting either....unsafe situation wouldn`t you think...especially near/on stairways...

and while were at it..
whats this?
so you would use..lets say a 20A OPD at origin...then no doubt 1.5/1.0 for your lighting...with no fusing down...on a 20A OPD?...
your having a jest arn`t you...
go away...lol....

I have to say, Im suprised the NICEIC would allow the installation of lights and power on one circuit as Glenn rightly says you'd loose both at once which goes against seperation of circuits in the regs. If we going to adapt that rule we might as well do.away with split load RCD boards.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Reply to radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net