RCD Earth Leakage | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD Earth Leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

garysparky1

I Need a little help i recently fitted a new consumer unit for a mate. The house is empty and up for sale so i thought no problem as not in a hurry continuity was ok on all circuits IR ok ,Ze 0.09,PFC 2.95kA so i changed the board then powered up and the 80a 30Ma RCD tripped i disconnected each circuit and reset it tripped on each circuit. I've since gone back with a clamp meter and found 29-39Ma running through the bonding. I clamped ( on lowest setting)the neutral and line seperately on each circuit and got kitchen N-0.70 L-0.46Ma and downstairs lights N-0.47 L 0.10 surely these differences in reads are too high can anybody steer me in the right direction. :frown2:

To be truely compliant all final circuits would have individual rcbo protection.
Dual rcd boards only reduce inconvienience slightly from the loss of supply following a fault , thus are a marketing scam IMO

And i say it AGAIN.

If you do not wish to help the OP then done bother replying.

OT: Would someone be kind enough to explain what a 17th edition compliant consumer unit is please?

I have looked through and i can not find this quote.

If you look from the start i tried to help this person!

If someone is doing something wrong should we not point this out?

If he is likely to kill someone (disconnecting RCD) should we not point this out?

Sometimes it's called tough love!

I can feel a ban coming on!:eek:mg_smile:

So it's not a 17th edition board, i think you only have a clip on Amp meter, are you an electrician?

I don't see how it is 17th edition with only 1 RCD.

Yes you have a clamp meter, good for you. You have not said whether it is your only meter.

Do you have an IR meter.

You did not answer whether you are an electrician or not.

Thank you Mr Gary

Sounds like a 16th edition board

Gods sake, use an insulation resistance tester, trace where it's down and correct it, then alter board to make it 17 th compliant complete the paperwork and notify your partp body of the work.

I have looked through and i can not find this quote.

If you look from the start i tried to help this person!

If someone is doing something wrong should we not point this out?

If he is likely to kill someone (disconnecting RCD) should we not point this out?

Sometimes it's called tough love!

I can feel a ban comingon!:eek:mg_smile:

No bans yet Mr Cat.

the op is possibly on a wind up here, after all what qualified electrician would in all honesty fit an old split load and then go on a forum declaring so with a supposed fault?

Reply to RCD Earth Leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net