Service Head | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Service Head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tuttle

-
Arms
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] Service Head

I don't think I've seen a service head like this before, I've only got the picture to go on at the moment and it's not that clear. I can't see a fuse anyway.

I'm assuming that what I can see in the picture is a cover that either opens or comes off and presumably has, or should have, a seal on it somewhere?

If this is the case then what sort of fuse / fuse holder would be used inside. Is there likely to be lots of exposed hazardous live parts under the cover?

Maybe if I could get a proper look it might be clearer to me, but at the moment I've only got the picture to go on.

Can anyone enlighten me please? :)

Be upfront and tell them that you need the fuse pulling but the head is 70+yrs old - it is their duty to replace it at no cost to you. Ask them at the same time if they will fit an isolator at no charge - if not just buy a REC2 (not a lot of money, can't remember offhand but 24 quid or so) and have it ready with tails for them to connect to new head. As said above - do NOT mess or attempt to tamper with that head, you will regret it!

they will most likely be 60A fuses...
rewireable pots...
dont ever attempt to pull em by hand....

Yeah, I'm definately not touching it, sounds far more dangerous than working live to me, but I'd like to avoid that as well :)

What I'd really like to know is if it is dangerous if not touched, i.e. a hazard to the householder, in which case I can ask the DNO to change it or is it really only a danger to DNO engineers in which case I guess it's up to them whether they change it or not?

Yeah, I'm definately not touching it, sounds far more dangerous than working live to me, but I'd like to avoid that as well :)

What I'd really like to know is if it is dangerous if not touched, i.e. a hazard to the householder, in which case I can ask the DNO to change it or is it really only a danger to DNO engineers in which case I guess it's up to them whether they change it or not?
the DNO are replacing cast cutouts for free....and their well behind with this program as well...

Maybe if I could get a proper look it might be clearer to me, but at the moment I've only got the picture to go on.
It belongs to a relative who unfortunately lives quite a considerable distance away from me.
They had an isolator fitted not that long ago, knowing the guy who fitted it I suspect he did it live, he's an old boy and that's how he works.

Problem is, they've had kitchen fitters in since and they added a second CU for the kitchen. The new CU is connected via henley blocks before the isolator switch, so the switch only isolates one of the consumer units. Can't imagine why they thought that was a good idea. It would have been easier for them and everyone else concerned to connect after the switch. :mad2:Thanks guys, it doesn't sound like something I want to be touching.

That's what I'm wondering.....................why ask all these questions if someone else has done the work and your relations are miles away?
Who took the photo............You?

It belongs to a relative who unfortunately lives quite a considerable distance away from me.
They had an isolator fitted not that long ago, knowing the guy who fitted it I suspect he did it live, he's an old boy and that's how he works.

Problem is, they've had kitchen fitters in since and they added a second CU for the kitchen. The new CU is connected via henley blocks before the isolator switch, so the switch only isolates one of the consumer units. Can't imagine why they thought that was a good idea. It would have been easier for them and everyone else concerned to connect after the switch. :mad2:Thanks guys, it doesn't sound like something I want to be touching.

That's what I'm wondering.....................why ask all these questions if someone else has done the work and your relations are miles away?
Who took the photo............You?

Because someone else hasn't done the work.

The first guy, who fitted the isolator switch, is no longer around. I don't know why the switch was fitted, someone obviously thought it was a good idea.

The second guy, who they didn't like very much and came with the kitchen fitters, installed a two way CU for the kitchen.

Now they want the main CU and the kitchen CU replaced.

Because someone else hasn't done the work.

The first guy, who fitted the isolator switch, is no longer around. I don't know why the switch was fitted, someone obviously thought it was a good idea.

The second guy, who they didn't like very much and came with the kitchen fitters, installed a two way CU for the kitchen.

Now they want the main CU and the kitchen CU replaced.

Sorry mate you missed my point..................why get involved now when you obviously wanted nothing to do with it in the first place?

"If this is the case then what sort of fuse / fuse holder would be used inside. Is there likely to be lots of exposed hazardous live parts under the cover?"

You really shouldn't be asking this mate to be honest !
You should know surely?

Sorry mate you missed my point..................why get involved now when you obviously wanted nothing to do with it in the first place?

You're jumping to conclusions. There's no "obviously" about it. It's not that I wanted nothing to do with it in the first place. The guy who fitted the isolator switch was a local electrician and a friend of theirs. I'm sure they would be getting him to fit a new consumer unit now if they could, but sadly he died a couple of years ago (natural causes, nothing to do with electricity, like I said he was an old boy).

And ..............they might be exposed hazardous and live................ex wife springs to mind actually !!!
yeah....what they generally have is like tuffnol boards seperating the fuses.....but its all exposed live parts in em....
the lid has panhead screws to fix on the upper portion of it in the pic...the lower part acts as a kind of `spreader chamber` where the crutch of the incoming is formed...usually loaded up with resin ....

Reply to Service Head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net