Shall i give this lad a chance | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had my first CV through the door from a 16 year old who has previously done work experience with another local firm.

I have a CU change on Friday, what do you say, shall I ring him and see if he wants to tag along?

Got an extension next week too.

Any thoughts? Can it hurt to do so? Do I pay him and if so, what in? Biscuits and tea?

Unfortunately you as an employer are duty bound to provide ppe by the hse. If he is working for you he will be in your employment. But what will he really need? Steel toe caps? He may already have these from his previous experience. Hi vis vest and hard hat? You've prob got those in the van along with gloves and goggles so it prob won't cost you that much.

True, very true, I have a spare hat and hi vis etc, no spare shoes lol. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he sounds like a knob, ive taken a look on the Internet and he seems to like football as he is the captain of his local team, he has a job in a food establishment.

True, very true, I have a spare hat and hi vis etc, no spare shoes lol. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he sounds like a knob, ive taken a look on the Internet and he seems to like football as he is the captain of his local team, he has a job in a food establishment.
just make sure theres no clowning about from him on site then.....

Do you feel I should provide this?
hard hat=2.50, high viz vest=2.50, yes provide it, regarding steel toe boots, I would advise him he needs to get some, not because he is working with you but he will need them in anycase if he is considering this trade, not all employers supply footwear, but for the sake of a fiver you should have a spare hat and vest in the van anyhow?

don't forget to upgrade your pl ins. to cover yourself + 1 employee. won't cost much, but you'll be covered if he puts his foot through a ceiling. you will probably need employers liability unless you class him as self-employed.

I'm all for giving people a chance. And have done so. Sometimes it's worked out and sometimes come back to bite me on the bum. And I'm not into SM.

So, my two pence worth...........FWIW
It's a while since I dealt with employment but a couple of points.
If you employ him I think you will have to pay him not less than NMW which is currently £3.68 an hour for his age group.
I would put in writing at least the basic terms of employment - rate of pay, hours of work even if flexible, grounds for dismissal, and any other caveat you think appropriate.

I would also have a formal documented chat about what he may or may not do. Our new recruits have a two hour induction which, in my view, is totally OTT. Especially since the guy who conducts the wouldn't know one end of an electron from the other - personal whinge and done. But just make sure the lad knows the limits. What he may or may not do. Electricity is unforgiving. He needs to know that.

Probably this comes across as a bit official/officious and CMA. And I guess it is. But, should things go pear shaped, and I really hope they don't, you could save yourself a lot of grief, regrets, and financial pain.

Only just seen the thread.
Uk This lad has approached you, which shows he wants to learn, this is a good start, Also I tend to agree that £20.00 per day with Lunch thrown in is where you want to be.
If he is genuinley fired up about learning the trade and becoming an Electrician, then you will find he will think of the cash as a bonus or at least he should!
If he is purely about the money then I would say he is not for you. Regarding workwear, make sure he as decent trousers on, trainers and boots to cover all scenario's.
Finally take it a day at a time, or a job at a time, You say at the moment you don't have enough work for 2 people, but you will soon find how much more productive you become if you have somone assisting you.
Obviously you can't treat him like a slave, but it doesnt hurt to show him where everything is in the van, and what all the tools in your bag are called, Remember we have different names sometimes for tools, which youngsters don't know about.
Take your time with him,don't talk to him like crap but also don't wrap him up in cotton wool.
This could be the next chapter in you life and a start of bigger jobs and more revenue.
All the best with it mate and keep us upto speed.

Reply to Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net