Test failed due to missing RCD | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
Recently joined the forum to ask for some information.
I recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
Any comments gratefully recieved

Peter

H
I don't want to get in between the two of you :rolleyes:, but my eldest has rented for over ten years, and moved several times due to work etc. Slightly off topic, first time he moved we cleaned. Ended up getting 'fined' for dust on top of mirrors etc. Next time he moved, we got a cleaning company in. Letting agent said wasn't clean enough, should of used one we recommend, fined! Next time we used one recommended by letting agent, fined 'cos it weren't one used by that particular housing association. Next one we used everyone recommended by all, tried to fine 'cos the oven that was professionally cleaned, wasn't cleaned enough! This time we had enough and said ********, sues us. Silence was golden.

I know there are some **** tenants out there, but the rest seem to have to pay for it. Rant over.

Hope your not like this Peter.

PS underlined wasn't quite right, we had to respectfully refer them to the fact we used who their all recommended.
He must have shared with my son. I could write a book mate, people who have no experience of this wouldn't believe half of it.

The eicr price was acceptable,the Rcd price (even if there were problems to sort out) it leans on the side of one big ---- take

Any problems installing a Rcd could and should have been identified by the eicr

Its a ten minute job to install and test
Add in some time to go and get the thing if needs be, a percentage knock up on the £45 cost and a contribution to overheads the job was maximum £90

Three friends of mine have rented out flats, all have had bad experiences with tenants and would never do it again. One friend bought a flat and has not had any problems or set foot in the flat for eleven years. It has cost a lot and taken me months to get the flat up to a good standard. I hope the tenants do not change me into a bad landlord.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination pro private rental
(Whatever happened to our millions of excellent council house stock ?)It was ripped to shreds in the name of the free market

Its your property,you worked to pay to make the investment and it should be kept in as good condition as found,it should also be given the respect as if it were the tenants own property

The rental market in the UK must be the wackiest and most useless system for all parties anywhere in Europe

The eicr price was acceptable,the Rcd price (even if there were problems to sort out) it leans on the side of one big **** take

Any problems installing a Rcd could and should have been identified by the eicr

Its a ten minute job to install and test
Add in some time to go and get the thing if needs be, a percentage knock up on the £45 cost and a contribution to overheads the job was maximum £90

Three friends of mine have rented out flats, all have had bad experiences with tenants and would never do it again. One friend bought a flat and has not had any problems or set foot in the flat for eleven years. It has cost a lot and taken me months to get the flat up to a good standard. I hope the tenants do not change me into a bad landlord.
So if these 3 friends have had bad experiences why did you follow in their footsteps, if i might ask?

I am not by any stretch of the imagination pro private rental
(Whatever happened to our millions of excellent council house stock ?)It was ripped to shreds in the name of the free market

Its your property,you worked to pay to make the investment and it should be kept in as good condition as found,it should also be given the respect as if it were the tenants own property

The rental market in the UK must be the wackiest and most useless system for all parties anywhere in Europe
Never was a truer word spoken.

A far better solution would have been rcbo's for the socket circuits.
I was just going to post the same Murdoch installing a RCD for the whole installation is asking for trouble the OP is going to like being called out when the whole flat has no electric due to a single fault rather than just tripping out one of the socket circuits.

I was just going to post the same Murdoch installing a RCD for the whole installation is asking for trouble the OP is going to like being called out when the whole flat has no electric due to a single fault rather than just tripping out one of the socket circuits.
Never mind anyone getting "called out" the point in question was the safety of the landlords Tenants. Would you be happy if one of your family was living in a rental with no RCD protection? I will assume a "no" to that one, you can always take another view of course.

Well, Murdoch, forgive me for being a little obtuse here, but I can't help but feeling your "disagree" is a little "--- for tat", to be honest. Maybe you would be cool with one of your family living in a rental with no RCD protection, I certainly would not.

Well, Murdoch, forgive me for being a little obtuse here, but I can't help but feeling your "disagree" is a little "--- for tat", to be honest. Maybe you would be cool with one of your family living in a rental with no RCD protection, I certainly would not. Given your previous posts I would suggest you are arguing yourself up your own --- to be honest matey.

First post on this site,

If this was a flat on a floor other than GF, code 3, if on GF, code 2 as it should have been installed to the 16yh edition. For the cost the spark in question could have fitted RCbo’s to the socket outlet circuits, carried out all retests and issued certs to cover the work

recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
Any comments gratefully recieved
WHAT IS THE TEST DATE ON THE CONSUMER UNIT AND NEXT TEST DATE !

First post on this site,

If this was a flat on a floor other than GF, code 3, if on GF, code 2 as it should have been installed to the 16yh edition. For the cost the spark in question could have fitted RCbo’s to the socket outlet circuits, carried out all retests and issued certs to cover the work
Really? How about if there are no RCBO's that will fit?

Nobody has mentioned that no RCD protection to circuits serving a room with a fixed bath or shower would be a Code 2. So I'm assuming the bathroom has a light and possibly a shower?
However, I agree that individual RCBOs would have been the best solution.

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net