The simple job of a new ceiling light | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss The simple job of a new ceiling light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

screechyboy79

Has me in a state of confusion...

We live in an early 80's house so the wires coming from the ceiling are 3 red, 3 black (one with blue tape, assuming they ran out of red) and 1 earth. Our new ceiling light has 3 blue, 3 brown and 1 earth.

I have tried a multitude of combinations and have failed to get the light to work at the same time as the switch i.e if the light does come on the switch does nothing. Other attempts have stopped other lights downstairs working correctly.

Could you possible advise how you would deal with this situation? I feel like i have tried nearly every combination.

Thanks in advance

My understanding electrical wiring particularly the wire colors have changed quite a bit over the last 30 years i wanted to give someone who wanted to help me some idea of time in which my house was wired.

Honestly, normally you get abuse for not providing enough information!

Thanks to everyone who provided a sensible answers/opinions or suggestions, I think its time to hand over to an electrician.

View attachment 21992

Tried as previously suggested and pictured (attached)

All the other lights work downstairs but this one does nothing looks like its NYE by candle light in our house.

Can't the supplier of the lamp offer you any advise?? (note the B&Q label) lol. Honestly, if your having that much trouble you should get a sparky in. At least then they'll have the correct test equipment

My understanding electrical wiring particularly the wire colors have changed quite a bit over the last 30 years i wanted to give someone who wanted to help me some idea of time in which my house was wired.

Thanks to everyone who provided a sensible answers/opinions or suggestions, I think its time to hand over to an electrician.
the only really sensible thing you have come out with throughout...

better to be safe than sorry....

Abuse, or a bit of mickey taking. In all honesty, why are you attempting to carry out the task without a little common sense. You bring it on yourself so just take it. I'm sure the vast majority of people in the trade have had to take it at some stage in the past, so stick your chin out.

Thought an electricians forum might be able to offer me advice and solve the problem, that's what you are here for right? I was hoping to get this working without the expense of an electrician if it was not necessary, lesson learnt there for sure.

This not the first time I have fitted a new ceiling light but I wouldn't be on here if i wasn't in need of some assistance this time. Had some very useful and friendly replies to start with shame about the unnecessary levels of sarcasm and attempted whit toward the end.

Thought an electricians forum might be able to offer me advice and solve the problem, that's what you are here for right? I was hoping to get this working without the expense of an electrician if it was not necessary, lesson learnt there for sure.

This not the first time I have fitted a new ceiling light but I wouldn't be on here if i wasn't in need of some assistance this time. Had some very useful and friendly replies to start with shame about the unnecessary levels of sarcasm and attempted whit toward the end.
wrong!!

well it is necessary....

stop being tite...

@ibf I'm really not sure how asking for advise on this forum is bringing it on myself, I have done what I can with the knowledge and tools that I have and was asking if anyone here felt that I had made a glaringly obvious mistake.

Clearly I have not as thus far nobody has been able to identify the problem.

@ibf I'm really not sure how asking for advise on this forum is bringing it on myself, I have done what I can with the knowledge and tools that I have and was asking if anyone here felt that I had made a glaringly obvious mistake.

Clearly I have not as thus far nobody has been able to identify the problem.
eh?....

so i guess its all our fault now is it...

a standard response from someone who came in here....didn`t provide any real info...then found out no-one was prepared to stick their neck out...i bet you think this is novel dont you...

trust me your not the first...and i`m sure you wont be the last either

next...

Clearly I have not as thus far nobody has been able to identify the problem

The old common sense thing again. Use it.

Are we supposed to be magicians. You HAVE made a glaringly obvious mistake but YOU and you only, are the one in a position to deduce what it is.

how you have it wired in the pic looks right. all i can think of is that you may have screwed 1 ( or more) terminals onto the insulation, or something similar.

Reply to The simple job of a new ceiling light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net