Tool Thieves!!! | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Tool Thieves!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was working on a job in Glasgow town centre, seen a guy in a grey hoodie cycle back and forth about twice every hour or so by the looks of it,thought it was strange and said to a few of the others working there that I thought the place was being scoped out, all looked at me like I was daft, then I was going into the site at half six in the morning the next day as it was a 7 start and just along the road from my digs, watched a man (think it was the person from the day before)walk along the side of the site a few metres in front of me, pull his hoodie over his head and pull the drawstrings to cover his face (the scaffolding actually had a 360 degree dome cctv camera, connected over the internet to a monitoring centre) and he put one hand up and grabbed the top of the fence, vaulted straight up and over in 1 go and about 3 seconds, it was about 8 feet high....went in and told everybody that somebody had just jumped over the fence (when the legitimate site entry gate was only 20 ft away to walk in if supposed to be there) and to watch their tools, the person was already gone as the people on site had a good fast check round to see who was where, a few minutes later it turned out that one of the joiners had lost a nearly new drill and charger complete in its box...must have been in and out of there like a shot and been waiting until after we had unlocked and opened the containers....

I'm a third year apprentice and at my last firm I continually had trouble with fully-qualified sparks stealing tools from my toolbox. Stealing is one thing, but the fact that those blokes were on 2-3 times more than me an hour really got my goat considering how much it cost me to amass a nice set of tools on apprentice wages. Thankfully I've got shot of that God-awful job and the cretins that work there now, though.

At my new firm one of our vans got done over this week and the thieves stole all of the handtools, drills and some other stuff, but they left the tester behind. It amazes me how many stories I've heard about break-ins where the thieves have left arguably the most expensive thing there is.

B*******, that is as low as you can go on site. What filth. Mate, that is just so wrong, that a Trademan would do that to you. I hope that things are better for you on your new firm, AND I hope you bump into the scumbags that you used to work for one day in the pub - purely so that you may discuss with them what tramps they are of course...
After all we're NOT allowed to advocate threats, or violence on this forum. However I do hope that you get to meet them again one day.
How about telling us who they are, and where their from matey?

I trust no one if i do a "site" TYPE JOB. I liker nice "kit" and have a habit now of marking it all and taking pics of those marks etc

what gets me is the pathetic excuses the guys come out with if caught. They truly do not care . We ahd a plumber on a job who tried to rob my Makita radio. the next day his company where told they had lost the job and we would employ another team. We also explained why etc. That guy lost 4 blokes work for 2 weeks and i heard got "smacked and sacked" on the spot.

@ Millwall Ken

Trust me, I confronted those responsible at the time over it. I remember one time I went into a customer's house after my break and I couldn't find my terminal. The customer then told me that she saw my supervisor go into my toolbag and take it. I saw him later that day and asked for it back, then he lied to my face about it even though I told him that a customer saw him take it! Rather than give it back after being caught red-handed, he proceeded to lie to cover-up his own bulls**t. I had plenty of instances where my tools were broken and not replaced as well. I hated working there. I'm much happier at my new firm now, though.

sounds like when somebody uses your 30 quid CK or Irazola Driver to chisel at the sides of a wall raggle or open a tin of paint and bursts it or when somebody swaps your brand new screwdriver set or Knipex sidies with their old crappy mangled ones then moves job....

That would drive me mad

On her last job i did one of the "team" left a rather tasty "Facom" Mole grips on top of a bookcase . He was not shocked at all to get them back a few hours later when i met him again at the clients showroom. The idea of stealing tools etc is alien to me and luckily the other members of that team .
On any job theft should mean been banned from that site .

Mostly the problem we've had with site theft have been from agency people, I work for a contractor where everybody knows each other and has worked on the same sites for 5 to 10 years, so the suspicion can easily be directed. If the site agent contacts the agency then normally they refund, if the culprit is not found out first (thengodhelpthem).

Scumbags are scumbags directly employed or not. Was on a job a few years ago went for a brew tools locked up but brand new Makita 18v drill and my £20 wind up radio were under my jumper. Came back the radio was gone, only people in there were the cleaners. I asked where my radio had gone but got the dont know what your on about crap. But at 6'7" and a ex young guvnor (MCFC hooligan) they had a very bad day and were never seen on site again. Never got my radio back but it was worth it. :)

Reply to Tool Thieves!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net