TV keeps going off when kitchen light is sw on | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TV keeps going off when kitchen light is sw on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there everybody, came across a different problem in a domestic household kitchen which contained two fluorescent strip lights when you switched them on the tv in the living room would go off for a minute, I began by checking the connections in the fittings apart from were the earths were looped and not connected to casing everything seemed fine. thinking it could be the starter I changed these but to no avail the problem still existed I then noticed there was a cap across the live and neutral connector of each. I phoned my supervisor and old him the checks I carried out, he said that the fittings need to be changed but after thinking about the problem im not so sure. do anybody have any ideas much appreciated

its probably something silly could not spend to much time as I had another several properties to visit

brian

Last edited:
Agree with what you say Andy but with all the electrics/electronic stuff that there is nowadays, do you not think that this problem would have been discussed in the design stage? By the way I work in street lighting and the requests sometimes that I receive are really bizarrre

Tell me about it!

The most bizarrest request was to use my cherry picker to fasten a rastafarian doll to the top of a tree in the run up to Christmas.

You should have seen how chuffed they were. The whole street was out laughing and jeering.

I suggest switching the MCB for the lights off, and see if the TV works. The first thing I am thinking of, is that the socket for the TV has been added later, and whoever installed it spurred it off the lighting circuit for (laziness) "a quick easy job".
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of people on here seem to think it's fine to add a socket for an aerial booster in the loft or a high level socket for a TV and tap into the lighting circuit to save redecoration, as if fusing it down or using a 5A plug and socket makes everything OK.

I agree with Geordie though - it's always best to do what your supervisor has told you to do, even if it sounds wrong. Speaking up and telling them they're wrong may seem like the right thing to do but ultimately they're the one in a position to fire you if they feel you're undermining them.

Derek Acorah
Television presenter
Derek Acorah is an English celebrity, author and self identified medium. He is best known for his television work on Most haunted.

...And one of the law changes,that confirmed the saddening loss of acumen,in the great British public,was when all adverts for shows,such as his,had to include "For entertainment only..." :conehead:

I have come across a similar scenario in the past.
The spark that occurs when a light switch is operated, can cause a burst of IR radiation which matches info sent by the TV remote control.
Try blocking the TV IR receptor while switching the light.

not sure as they use cable tv and one of my sparky mates recon it could be an earthing problem due to high voltage back emf generated before start up of tubes

thanks anyway
Yes but what I mean is if they've tapped into the lighting circuit for the TV, then the TV will be using power from the same circuit as the kitchen lighting, so any 'noise' caused by the fluorescent lighting starting up is likely to affect the TV.
It might not be that, I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas around.

You're best off doing what your supervisor has told you to do.

Derek Acorah

In March 2014 he was convicted of driving without due care and attention and failing to provide a breath sample following a car crash. Acorah had failed a road side breath test but refused to give the required sample at a police station. He was banned from driving for 28 months and fined £1,000

I had no clue who he was looking at the earlier picture but I had a sneaky feeling he had something to do with spirits

Here's my idea; If your supervisor said the fitting needs to be changed then that's what you do whether you're sure or not!

He's the one getting paid the big bucks so it's his problem!

Golden rule when dealing with these management types is do exactly what you're told to do no matter how stupid it may seem to you as long as it isn't dangerous.

If you are asked to do something that you think is dangerous, ask for it to be put into writing and signed & dated and keep a copy!

Then after all that still refuse to do it as it's dangerous!

Then after all that still refuse to do it as it's dangerous!

totally agree. you yourself are responsible for your own safety and that of others. not some suit that's got more idea of flying to the moon in a chocolate spaceship.

Reply to TV keeps going off when kitchen light is sw on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net