Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" | Page 19 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

How can we put an end to this drivel? Why is there people out there unqualified and inexperienced bluffing their way into work. Taking work from fully qualified time served lads?Theres a couple in my area. Driving round in vans with schemes tatooed all over them. They look the biz - the outfit. But I know they are not electricians. They are chancers bluffing their way through. The 17th Edition minimum requirement to have a schemes backing...its a farce. The problem I have is the customers can't differenciate from a fully qualified. 17th edition, 2391, tech cert nvq3 electrician from a 17th edition short course idiot! It boils my blood

came across this yesterday. spot the 3 faults.now tell me these 5 week couses make anyone competent. don't count the lid being off, as i removed it .View attachment 10990
I notice that although people have said 4, 5, etc indicating how many of your faults they have discovered, nobody has as yet put their head on the block and attempted to name them. No doubt, they would be afraid of being labeled a Electrical Trainee if they did and got anything wrong.Being a born coward, I'm not going to buck the trend, but maybe you can enlighten us as to what you think the 3 faults are.

Upvote 0
think i said it earlier.

1. sheath stripped outside the JB ( about 5" ). 2. cpc's cut off. 3. 5 cables in a small terminal, screws just about holding. 4. L/N conductors, separate entries. 5. neither the cables or the JB were secured.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im 33 and was a butcher for 16 years and wanted to be an electrician, i realised it was gonna cost me a fortune so i made sure before parting with my money that i chose the right way to enter the industry. i chose 2330 level 2 & 3 and 2382. wanna do my nvq but cant find employer at minute, just gotta keep trying. i gotta mortgage, 3 kids and could of been earning now if i chose the Electrical Trainee course but im in it for the long haul. hope it was i wise decision, not sure about the 50k a year though!

Upvote 0
Plenty of self employed electricians make equivalent to a 50k a year salary. I know a half qualified (2330 level 2 and 17th) 27 yr old who makes twice that.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify i'm not a Electrical Trainee, I did my l2/3 17th at lct and 2356 l3 with xs, I come from a building background also, I feel my comments were just and have yet to receive any replys which prove what I said wrong - if the only replies I'm going to receive be offensive you just reinforce the points I've raised, I come on here for a bit of a laugh and to get involved in topics which intrest me, it just seems a shame that when somebody puts up a point you have no answers to you just either ignore the post or get slanderous.

I honestley think this forum has become more of a baiting pit than anything else.

Regards AP

Upvote 0
Yeah strange one erm from a A1 sparky that is leaving the forces after 12 years I am looking at sub contracting and moving on in another career, now I have been fully qualified within armed forces but have also took the part P and 17th edition and testing & inspection whilst on re settlement again to get civvy qualifications.

So as long as you get the qualifications and get approved with a governing body then surely you are qualified and its down then to the persons competency's to gain knowledge and use the correct working practices.

So if the person proves himself competent then he is surely good enough to work as an electrician and also have the ability to figure problems out that he will cross.

Upvote 0
Yeah strange one erm from a A1 sparky that is leaving the forces after 12 years I am looking at sub contracting and moving on in another career, now I have been fully qualified within armed forces but have also took the part P and 17th edition and testing & inspection whilst on re settlement again to get civvy qualifications.

So as long as you get the qualifications and get approved with a governing body then surely you are qualified and its down then to the persons competency's to gain knowledge and use the correct working practices.

So if the person proves himself competent then he is surely good enough to work as an electrician and also have the ability to figure problems out that he will cross.

The problem is what what qualifications

IMO the only body that says you are qualified is the JIB all the others say you are competant but that then opens another debate

Upvote 0
i see it as a big white elephant with little more teeth than a new born baby.

yes i applied to JIB yes i got accepted then i got Refused as they decided my alternative qualification were nolonger suitable as they were not City and Guilds..

thats when it dawned on me that they are just a propping up tool for City and Guilds and Vice Versa...!
hmmm monopoly comes to mind..

i have many years experience just like many other sparks who get refused by the JIB as i dont have 2330.

i do however hold Mechanical , Electrical , Nuclear qualification ranging from level 2 to level 5 on the NQF. i hold IET membership to a respectable level and i have apprentiship papers in engineering,

i will never apply again as the more i look at it the more i think sod ya!

Upvote 0
Well as I said because someone has not served an apprenticeship it does not make them not competent.

I have NVQ 3 and a class 1 sparky qual in the forces but you know what, I still found the Part P Qualification, 2832, 2377, 2391 very beneficial and thoroughly worth while the crooks of it is its down to the professionalism of the person if he is willing to learn and get the necessary quals but also combine that with his own method of gaining experience what ever way he can, then I say good on him.

Upvote 0
My final word on it is I have a JIB gold card that reads ELECTRICIAN on it soon to be APPROVED ELECTRICIAN and to all the part p wonders who pull the pity phrase "I changed my career I have x ammount of kids and a mortgage..." and so on well my only advice is not to go through a career change at such an important time when people depend on you and sorry that you fell for the £50k a year lie lol

End of the day City & Guilds are recognised qualifications and have been for years and years so I will ALWAYS be an electrician, you guys are DOMESTIC INSTALLERS and will only ever be

Obviously this part p nonsense isnt working especially a few years down the line when all the faults start occurring its a matter of time untill its all changed and your all faced with another career change and us sparks can go back to our proffession

so you may tell your mates down the pub and your family that your an electrician if that makes you feel better then crack on but I KNOW what I am and you boys wont be around much longer.

Maybe start new gas regulations that let you start certing gas installs after a few days training lol

Upvote 0
Just joined this forum a couple of weeks ago. I've done part p and am going through the process of registering with a body like EIC or NAPIT. I wanted to do everything right and be insured and do a good job. Im a plumber and part p helps with little jobs around that. Like extractor fans and stuff. I want to do the 2391 straight away when registered. Over the next few years gain more quals and learn as I go along. Being 44 with kids and all the other stuff that goes with that. I have read through this whole thread.
I had no idea that I made you experienced time served treaded the boards Electricians want to puke and be so angry that you have to leave this thread because you want sleep.
I was looking for experienced sparks in my area that might help me along the way. Now I might just steer well clear or they might puke on me or throttle me, or both at the same time.
Sorry guys, I do feel your pain. Ive got jumped up security guards doing my day job.
Perhaps I'll go and puke on them. It might make me feel better.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Reply to Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net