Urgent rcd !!! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well what else can he do at this hour?? If the house is unoccupied, then I would suggest leaving everything off until the morning, but otherwise, put it back to how it was, as I am guessing it was working fine beforehand, and restart tomorrow.

Mind you, now reading back to how it sounds (and how it must look - no disrespect at all Waitees ) , I would switch it all off and get a either 2 new RCD's or better still a new c/unit kit .

Sav

Hi mate, put all circuits on one RCD , if rcd now sets, you have mixed or borrowed neutrals, While the other Rcd is now not feeding any think try test sequence, may also have a duff rcd.
Hope this helps.
regards KJ

what happens if you put all the circuits on one rcd.....if it stays in then go back in the AM and find the borrowed neutrals.

At this hour you will only get tired frustrated and make mistakes. Put them all on one rcd

Last edited:
i would dissconect each circuit and then connect 1 at a time making sure you connect your neutrals to the right neutral bar when you connect a circuit and it trips redo IR test lighting circuit could be shared neutrals best of luck

With regards to the two RCDs rated at 63A and 80A this is quite common with some Wylex boards I have installed. Nothing wrong with that. Just divide up the circuits appropriately.

right guys i have double checked the neutrals and i have not got them mixed.

I have installed loads of these wylex boards with no probs but this is just silly.

I have brought 2 new rcds and they do the same thing.

from main switch:

Cooker circuit 40a
top floor sockets 32a
4 sockets on one ring in kitchen 32a
Downstairs ring32a
1st floor lights 6a

kitchen ring & dining 32a
1st floor sockets 32a
immersion 16a
loft conversion lights 6a
downstairs lights 6a

10 way wylex,

This is where it gets weird ! all the breakers are off and the rcd that controls the first lot wont go on, then if you switch a circuit on , on the other side it goes on.

even tho the lights downstairs are turned off at the mcb if you turn one of the dead lights on it trips the rcd, sometimes both !

The next one is the kitchen, there is 4 or 5 sockets which are on a ring then another ring doing the other half of the kitchen and dining room. both these rings had been split on two different rcds, however one of them will not come on and there is no load. So i tried putting them on the same rcd and same problem this one circuit will still not allow the rcd on ???

I have also found some other nasty stuff in the house, its just had so many bob the builders come round and think (hey it works) and thinks everything is fine and the prices they have been charged !!

Line-neutral fault between 2 different circuits on 2 different rcds?? Nightmare to test for, had something similar ages ago which turned out to be this. Clip neutral bar 1 and continuity test all lines in bay 2, then vice versa. Do earths as well for a laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update this is driving me mad

Retested everything fine,

I can now get the kitchen rings on but as soon as you put any load on it trips

I can notice when I turn off immersion mcb a slight popping sound which does not sound great.

Got a feeling both lights up and down have borrowed neutrals but what could cause the kitchen ??

This driving me bonkers !!!

So you have IR tested the whole installation and it passed N - E with no problem?

In other words there is no chance whatsoever of a neutral to earth fault?

borrowed neutrals are my guess, im imagining up and down lights are terminated in opposite sides of board ( diff rcd's) try combining the lighting onto one RCD site and see if that does the trick

if youve sorted out the lighting then it could be appliances mate, if your loading up the kitchen then its prob appliances, how old are they, do they look in a crap state, un plug everything and power up , if it holds and all dead tests have been ok then a pound to a penny it will be the cooker or the kettle, or the ruddy toaster

Reply to Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net