Urgent rcd !!! | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I had something very similar a while ago, changed this guys board, everything meggered out ok before the change N-E
changed the board to the cheaper duel RCD option, the second i juiced it up, trip trip trip trip, unplugged everything it held, the min anything was switched on in kitchen - trip
one min was the kettle , the next the cooker, then the toaster, then the kettle again, this went on fall afternoon, all test readings were normal and neutrals were not mixed up
I changed the RCD switches 4 times still same problem
in the end the guy ordered me to stop work as worried about the cost, and ordered me to refit his rewirable fuse board
I did this and the problem 'went away'
to this day have no idea what it was
i look forward to hearing what you find

Thanks all for all replies update retested again and now coming up with a lower reading on n-e on both downstairs rings but they pass I have checked all the appliances with a extension lead and they all work as soon as I put the kitchen ring on it stays on but then when anything is switched on it trips
I have managed to get everthing on from the first floor upwords on the same rcd however it will not allow the other rcd to operate but if I turn off the first rcd then the second one will operate but will not take any load I have narrowed it down to downstairs lights and three rings downstairs and two rings in the kitchen may have been conected Somehow ?

Thanks all for all replies update retested again and now coming up with a lower reading on n-e on both downstairs rings but they pass I have checked all the appliances with a extension lead and they all work as soon as I put the kitchen ring on it stays on but then when anything is switched on it trips
I have managed to get everthing on from the first floor upwords on the same rcd however it will not allow the other rcd to operate but if I turn off the first rcd then the second one will operate but will not take any load I have narrowed it down to downstairs lights and three rings downstairs and two rings in the kitchen may have been conected Somehow ?

How big is this house?:D
Are you telling us there are five 32A MCBs for the downstairs sockets alone??

How many ways is the board??

Seriously, can we have a picture of the wiring of your CU.

i ad this not so long ago on a rewire it turned out to be that the n was hit with the screw off a socket front so the rcd see the inblance with n - e so test between each circuit on n-e and im shore youll fined some thing

Sorry guys did not explain well, there is a downstairs ring and two rings in the kitchen/dining room, I'm based in chessington surrey and job is Wimbledon it's an old Victorian house which has a loft conversion and side !
10 way board will try and load pic does not look to bad :)

Crackin DB there chris nice use of Rcbos Vigies and Old style multi 9s could do with a small amount of "Tidying up " bets it also needs chart lol

my thoughts exactly been there seen that shops are the worst added to stuff disconnected n PIR put in list yards long nuffin done about it

Is the board from screwfix as this is usely supplied by them. I would go towards the 2 way lighting as I have come across this problem already.

ive just had the same problem that i was called out, ir test between all circuit conductors and ill think you find a connection between them (nail/screw though 2 different circuits neutrals/earths), when you find the problem resistance test them to show where the problem is. hopes this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net