Urgent | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Urgent in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BD10NER

Hi all

Some of ya might remember, i started my nephews bathroom last year complete rip out and new everything.
anyway i asked about his shower 10.kw triton, got good feed back and told nephew he needs qualified
part p reg sparky, job went ---- up when he lost job etc, but is back on the go again ...today a sparky has
gone and wired up the shower BUT he has used the old wire from old shower , the problem is if my memory
serves me i was told that a 10.5 kw needs to be wired with 10mm wire ? the old shower was 8.5 and 6mm wire.

I told my nephew that he should not have used the old wire, but sparky said i'm not the electrician he his ?
should he have given my nephew a part p certificate of the job. ?

DNO are responsible up to the meter. the meter is the responsibility of the supplier, which may or may not be DNO. after the meter is down to the owner of the propery.

Yes fella, but like i said before its nephews money up to him...and NO I HAVE NOT DONE IT....i am just relaying what i have found out today
thats why i'm double checking....micknew, if i wanted to do it i would've and used the correct wire..but i'm not qualified...be constructive or **** off you ********...i'm trying to help my family you ****ing moron.
It was so obvious that you were lying.
Glad you were found out
PS You have to be intelligent to be an electrician, you have no chance lol.

hi Andy and thanks. My local DNO is UKPN and they are disclaiming responsibility for a faulty cutout box upstream of the meter, it's a block of flats and the faulty cutout box is one for an individual flat. My problem is UKPN say they are not responsible, but I am trying to find out if that is right, and who is responsible? :)
Thanks Alan

if that cut'out is fed directly from the supply from outside, it's deffo their baby. ring UKPN and ask for the duty engineer. don't be fobbed off by some bint who ain't got a clue what you are talking about.

Thanks Richard, that diagram looks clear, does it come from some regulations that I could quote to UKPN? because it's a block of flats and UKPN says they are responsible only as far as where the cable enters the building from the street.

Also, if it's on another thread, do you know offhand which thread?

Thanks, Alan.
This is a diagram from one of UK powernetworks help sheets so they are pretty stuck if it is the service head, it is down to them, try and contact the duty engineer, if you can.
If this does not work then as it is also a problem with the fuse call the electricity supplier and if they come out to do something (!) then they will arrange with the DNO to repair.

hi Andy and thanks. My local DNO is UKPN and they are disclaiming responsibility for a faulty cutout box upstream of the meter, it's a block of flats and the faulty cutout box is one for an individual flat. My problem is UKPN say they are not responsible, but I am trying to find out if that is right, and who is responsible? :)
Thanks Alan
I have just reread this and I notice it is the individual cut out for one flat, this would normally be after the meter, as anything upstream of the meter would be supplied from three phase incomer and would not be specific to the flat.
If it is after the meter then you need an electrician.

Richard

Thanks for that and it is a lot clearer after talking to the supplier and DNO.

The cable comes in off the street to the multihead where it splits into individual cables for the nine flats. Each cable has a 60 A cutout as it leaves the multihead.

At each individual flat there is a second 60 A cutout (where this fault is) followed by the meter and then the distribution board.

UKPN is responsible up to the first cutout leaving the multihead, and then the landlord is responsible for the cable and the second cutout feeding the meter.

From the distribution board into the flat is a matter between the landlord and tenant, which is not my problem just now.

Thanks for help, Alan.

The above is what the suppliers EDF told me. Obviously it suits them to say that because it gets them out of doing anything. But it might be written down in some regulations, and if anyone knows where to find those regs it would be nice to know, for future reference, and it would be useful for anyone living in a flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Urgent in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net