Using terminal blocks within a CU | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

se7aq

Can you use terminal blocks within a CU if cable is not long enough to be wired in numbered order, or the main bonding is not long enought to reach main bonding terminal in CU..?

Could this cause problems for future electricians if the neutrals are not in numbered order..? This may need to happen to ALL cables within CU.

Thanks in advance for your feedback best sarcastic answer wins a Mars Bar but sensible answers also welcome.

This has been covered quite extensively, and the search function will give you lots of opinions...
However, to save you time....
Yes, you can use block within a CU, but it will look like a dog's dinner. The generally preferred option is to either take your cables into an enclosure, connect them neatly in din-rail connections and then feed new cables into the CU, or alternatively, some electricians like to extend existing cables by crimping and heat-sleeving. I would only recommend this method if you have good quality crimps and ratchet crimping pliers.
The other option which isn't ideal, but looks better than terminal block, is to use Wagos.
Main bonding should be continuous. The only way to extend this is with soldering or crimping.
Sorry if this wasn't sarcastic enough :)

It's an easy decision for me:-

I use those butt crimps with a glue lined heat shrink covering and a quality pair of crimping pliers.

Good joint which is not obtrusive!

lol i had a niceic electrician tell me solder is rated at 2A :dizzy2: when i removed his connectors blocks and soldered the wires he had cut too short in the first place i was like solder with 2A rating are you for real :83::banghead:

line butt connectors for up to 2.5mm for me. push-in and only slightly more bulky than a crimp.

Same, exactly my method tel.

Although in fairness i can't say i haven't used a chock-block in the past, because unfortunatley i have (once or twice) - many'o'year ago. Wouldn't use them now, not ever.

Time to confess lads - guarantee most of you have used the dreaded chock-block in a CU at somepoint for a very quick unprofessional fix at least once in your careers lol.

lol i had a niceic electrician tell me solder is rated at 2A :dizzy2: when i removed his connectors blocks and soldered the wires he had cut too short in the first place i was like solder with 2A rating are you for real :83::banghead:
You done what!!! We dont use solder on mains wiring because conductors can have a high operating temperature as stated in BS7671. this can cause the solder to soften and the joint to fail. Soldering does not constitute a sound electrical and mechanical joint as per the regs.... so what professional body are you a member of?? I hope your work wasnt in a special location!!

Reply to Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net