Using terminal blocks within a CU | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can't see an issue either, using crimps. After all, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that what Waggo's are effectively?

No, Wagos are a constant pressure sprung connector. The problem with crimps is that all copper will "move" when electricity flows through it (which is why you will find what was a tight connection on a switch or socket has become loose a few years later), and if this occurs within a crimped connector then contact can be lost. With multistrand cable, this doesn't occur, as the strands have been displaced to a point where movement is negligible.
All that said, provided the crimp is fixed with a good quality ratchet tool, and the cable either side is supported with heatshrink (preferably adhesive lined), then you will find that the connection will usually give years of service.

just received some butt connectors from line products. they are push-in, spring clamping the cables ( like wagos ) but are inline. slightly bulkier than crimps. think they're rated at 20A and accept up to 2.5mm.

just received some butt connectors from line products. they are push-in, spring clamping the cables ( like wagos ) but are inline. slightly bulkier than crimps. think they're rated at 20A and accept up to 2.5mm.

Just tried to find them on their web site but couldnt see them. Do you have a link Tel??

Just tried to find them on their web site but couldnt see them. Do you have a link Tel??

nope. i phoned farrel at line products and asked him if he had anything like it and he sent me some. i knbow he's not got any in stock as he sent me all he'd got. he promised to order some more asap.

if you can imagine a 2 port wago split and opened out so that cables came in from left and right instead of parallel, then it's something like.

All this to avoid not wiring in numbered order?

Is there a reg that says you must wire in order? And would anyone trust someone to have done this without checking anyway?

No there is no regulation it's simple just number the cables and then put them where you can, I can't see all the fuss lol

Thanks for all your replies. It was just for the main bonding that I was thinking about using a connecting block. I was also enquiring if putting the neautrals not in same order as the MCB's would cause a problem/be a danger for the next electrician? As I was taught to wire them in sequence as it were.

Cheers

No there is no regulation it's simple just number the cables and then put them where you can, I can't see all the fuss lol

That reminds me, I must find my thimblejigs... (teflon coated cable label applicator for you new pups)

Far from a new pup iv been an apprentice trained monkey for 16 years , there are numerous number applicators on the market, why would you want to use a frying pan ?

Hi there guys, not even sure if this will post! it's been about a year since I joined the forum but haven't been in it since until recently, I was interested to ask if you do use crimps/ heat shrink/ good quality crimpers etc would you have to derate current carrying capacity of the circuit or is it negible. Would it be suitable for a ring final and would it be classed as a mf join, cheers

Thanks for all your replies. It was just for the main bonding that I was thinking about using a connecting block. I was also enquiring if putting the neautrals not in same order as the MCB's would cause a problem/be a danger for the next electrician? As I was taught to wire them in sequence as it were.

Cheers

Crimp or new cable basically.

Reply to Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net