Wago connectors? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wago connectors? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andrew692003

Hi lads,

I like the look and idea of these Wago connectors, never used them before but starting to think I need to get into the 21st century.

Anyway heres a few questions.

I do mainly private housing and commercial work so I do quite a bit of lighting(recessed) etc. so

1 - There are so many different connectors, what are the most common used for lighting etc that you use?

2 - Do you find the small Wago enclosures the best for housing these when recessing lights etc. or is there a better product out there you prefer?

3 - Would I be best to buy one of those kits for £75 or just buy a selection and see what I use more regularly?

4 - Where's the cheapest place to buy these fellows.

5 - Anything I need to look out for when using these connectors. Pro's and con's etc?

I would imagine I would only ever be using these connectors when joining/terminating 1.0mm - 2.5mm not sure I would use them for larger cables or if there would be any need for that really.

Anyway any info/links would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Andrew, if I were you I would get the little box with a few of each type in them.

I use them a fair bit, they do the din rail type as well for say extending cables for a cu change. all in place and nice and neat. Ashley also do a good m/free box with the push fits inside as well.
imo the wagos save a load of time when installing as well so the little extra they cost pays back in time. also helacon have some good connectors on the market.

try Meteor Electrical Wholesaler |Trade Electrical Supplies | Free Delivery UK and Ireland

and see if they have them in stock or if they can get them in for you.

Just as Phil says, great advice. When wago came out I bought some off the shelf from the wholesalers and I've never looked back since. Just buy a few different sizes in the small packs, see if you like them and what sizes you need and then buy a shed load, you will thank me for this after you've used them. (ps I'm not on commission)

Thanks for the advice guys. I see there are a few links at the bottom of the page discussing the same so I'll check that out. Couldn't be arsed to search last night!!

Cheers again.

try cpc farnell for wagos. if you are going to use for flex ( e.g. on downlights ) you need the lever type. a good fast fit enclosure is available from "line connectors ".

So a wago is like a replacement for junction boxes/terminal strip? heard everyone saying how good they are but no clue as to application. Durr ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So a wago is like a replacement for junction boxes/terminal strip, heard everyone saying how good they are but no clue as to application. Durr ?

a quick solution to joining cables. no screws so can be fitted inaccessible. google wago and have a shufty.

a quick solution to joining cables. no screws so can be fitted inaccessible. google wago and have a shufty.

Do these Wago and similar items come with any form of certification stating that they do comply with the wiring regulations that enables them to be used in inaccessible locations?

I contacted them once about this as I believe they were not ideal for concealing (mainly because I could pull the connections back out with a little twist).
They confirmed their compliance and so I said I'll be quoting them if they were to ever fail. They seemed happy with that.

They do make the job a great deal easier.

Regulation 526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following

(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing, or appropriate compression tool

So I guess this is where they comply? :)

No the opposite in fact, it's where they don't apply. Reg 526.3 had (v) conditions that had to be met in order for a joint to be deemed inaccessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, and as the regs stood before the amendment the Wago never really complied to any of the 5 conditions in this reg.

On the DPC that came out last year a (vi) section was inserted

(vi) Equipment complying with a product standard with specific requirements to confirm that access for inspection,
testing and maintenance is not required, including for connections to the equipment made by the installer.

Which I think interprets to a Wago connection where the product standard is met. As I have not got my copy of the BGB I don't know if this proposal was kept in.

Note This was copied by me at the time and sent by email in response to the IET request for consultation.

Personally I found the box set a bit of waste, once I'd figured out which type I use the most, which are the 2s (yellow) and 4s (orange) in the 773 series - and mostly for lighting apps. I've used the bigger 3s (red) on some rings -they'd supposed to be good up to 6.0mm2.

Also get yourself some of the 224 series to try out - the 112 is great when you are connecting up flex cord to T&E. The 222 series are problem the most adaptable, so have some of the 3s in you van as well!

Hellerman Tyton do a similar connector.

The Wago boxes are okay for bigger circuits, but I've found them too big in some lighting apps, and now prefer to use the LINE boxes (www.line.ac) - although Wago are supposed to be bringing out a smaller box soon....

Reply to Wago connectors? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net