Wall socket | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is it ok to spike a socket across an inner wall
Have wired in a few sockets and one is above a cross beam in an inner wall that i wanted to drop down but hole in beam only enough for one twin and earth
Cant get access to open or drill hole as its behind splash-back
But across from where i want socket in other side of wall in other room is socket (single wired end of ring?)
So can spike from it but would mean very short twin and earth (6ins maybe) would this shortness cause a problem

Does not matter i have just gone and done it my way
Thanks to those who tried to help
Happy new year
When we saw you were not getting the answer you wanted we knew you would do it your way anyway. I hope you don't have a fire. If the insurance finds out I doubt if they will pay out.

Happy new year
Happy New Year and a pleasant funeral. No flowers please, donations to the the "Out of Work Electricians Fund"

you could have a go at replacing your gas boiler next.

Happy new year

Doesn't surprise me that you've done it to be honest. I personally would have listened more and given more info, or if it was beyond your knowledge I would have said get an electrician in.

Scary.

The thing is, a spur off a spur will work fine until someone decides to plug in a few high powered appliances.

We don’t even know if it is a ring or radial yet, so could be everything is tickety boo.
It sounds like @Highlandbilly has decided to just go ahead and do it. I know I shouldn't reply to the DIY threads, as I am one of the team that thinks it's wrong to give advice to DIY as i think it makes it more dangerous. He sounds like a perfectly decent chap, but he has now wired a spur from a spur and he 'may' (I'm not saying definitely by any means) have been influenced to go ahead by this thread. Because he really wants it done he will block out the plethora of advice explaining why it is dangerous and will focus and use the one sentence in this thread that says it's ok to do it, he will allow that to be the basis of his decision to go ahead and do.

It sounds like @Highlandbilly has decided to just go ahead and do it. I know I shouldn't reply to the DIY threads, as I am one of the team that thinks it's wrong to give advice to DIY as i think it makes it more dangerous. He sounds like a perfectly decent chap, but he has now wired a spur from a spur and he 'may' (I'm not saying definitely by any means) have been influenced to go ahead by this thread. Because he really wants it done he will block out the plethora of advice explaining why it is dangerous and will focus and use the one sentence in this thread that says it's ok to do it, he will allow that to be the basis of his decision to go ahead and do.

I think he would have done it anyway to be honest, regardless of what was said on here.

But nobody said it was ok Steve or did I miss something.

But nobody said it was ok Steve or did I miss something.
I'm sure you're right Dave, I think I was in a grumpy mood! I need the boy to go back to school!!! ?

Well we all tried to get to the bottom of his statements about "end of ring" etc, but it all fell on deaf ears, lets hope the OP does not go deaf from the explosion.

I did a comment and it was deleted. as it was not appropriate. You see why I did it and legally you will be so erm.(that's a swear).... you cant get out of it, it was all here and you said it. You helped him to fix that Fan.

unless I messed the point of all the jokes here.

I did a comment and it was deleted. as it was not appropriate. You see why I did it and legally you will be so erm.(that's a swear).... you cant get out of it, it was all here and you said it. You helped him to fix that Fan.

unless I messed the point of all the jokes here
What fan, I think you have the wrong thread, that's a joke in itself. ?

unless I messed the point of all the jokes here.

I think you've missed something!

One thing I forgot to ask but have done it anyway
I did not have green/yellow sheeving for earth wire but used insulating tape (same colour stripped green/yellow)

This should be ok
And to a previous post can’t remember who by i never took spur to spur
I have swapped over heaps of white sockets for the black brushed ones and done a few spurs but how you guys put up with the stress when you hit a problem i don't know
I had a batton(not sure right name) going horizontal across about 3 inches under plug and hardly any access because of splashback
As you can see

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Wall socket
    020A8F3D-72DA-4093-A300-219C8A9E8B63.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 41
I did not have green/yellow sheeving for earth wire but used insulating tape (same colour stripped green/yellow).
not ideal but better than nothing. you can buy short lengths of sleeving on ebay , 10m,20m, for a coupleof quid.

how you guys put up with the stress when you hit a problem i don't know

all in a day's work. there are no problems, only solutions.

Reply to Wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net