what can i do | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss what can i do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dingledong

Just tested a flat no cpc to lights and switches , so on the report class 2 etc etc but the people are selling and there are 4 metal light fittings which are now pendants but I know from what's been asked and hinted he will put the metal lights back up nothing I can do to cover myself

People want a cert for a reason and they want one that shows.it's all ok so a passed one please ,they are selling ,buying ,letting , checking the builders electrical work who quoted cheaper than the electrician and all are given to someone else who wants to see satisfactory or in there mind passed if it says unsatisfactory then they can't let can't sell or want a discount on the house they are purchasing
I think only once has someone asked just for a report for themselves for their own use
So even though it's just a report it's for a reason it's usually for some one else and if it's a good report a passed report then things proceed if it's unsatisfactory then it wont

Who are you trying to protect to use the MOT that you seem to be comfortable with the installation passed with a load of advisories that if a buyer has any sense they will be negotiating a discount or are you not listing the advisories. You are treading a very dangerous path and appear to be leaving yourself wide open to litigation from the comments you have made

I explained to the customer every choice they had they chose not me
It seems you go around people's places and do what you want

I do not do what I want I do what I'm instructed to do by the client placing the order

I explain to my customer give them the choices maybe recommend a choice but at the end of the day it's there choice

If your MOT man offered you some part worn brake pads as yours were shot and would not pass would you accept them or get him to fit new ones

We have 2 companies down here who do w h at you seem to do fail it want to get paid then want to charge double for a PASSED cert plus the remedial of course . I think thAt ripping some one of personally

I never fail an installation as that is not one of the options offered on an EICR, unsatisfactory is what I would use if my customer is not happy with that then I'm thinking I need to give them your details
TBH I do not like your insinuations and attitude that any one who is not doing it your way are ripping people off, I could accuse you of things but I haven't

Same with my mot garage he will tell me what s wrong as he goes along , not just fail it and say e factly what your saying then tightens the nut up and does another mot so not cheap

The MOT garage I use does not do any repair work what he does do is a fair MOT at a good price (£27.50) my vehicle is checked over before it goes so the only items that may fail on the way to the garage are lamps of which I carry a few spares to change if need be

As has been said before, more and more of threads along the same lines are cropping up.

A few stick in my mind. Namely the EICR that resulted in the guy almost insisting the house be rewired and a new boiler fitted, and the issuing of a danger notice and removing the cut-out fuse.

The other thing is some people just can’t grasp the fact at the IET requirements aren’t retrospective. Despite the fact it is quite clearly stated in the first few pages of every edition I’ve come across since the 14[SUP]th[/SUP].

No ding, if I'm doing an EICR that's what they get, satisfactory or unsatisfactory with the reason. If they then get me to do the remedials I issue a cert to cover them cross referenced to the EICR, not another EICR + cert.
I do know what your saying but I am a nice person ( really ) they ask for a satisfactory cert or as most say when you talk to them a passed cert to send of to the housing assoc. Or the solicitors they want the report as clear as possible
I speak to the people I use their terms no fcu's no cu I speak like what they do so they understand what and why ; though most aren't interested

I do know what your saying but I am a nice person ( really ) they ask for a satisfactory cert or as most say when you talk to them a passed cert to send of to the housing assoc. Or the solicitors they want the report as clear as possible
I speak to the people I use their terms no fcu's no cu I speak like what they do so they understand what and why ; though most aren't interested
I too am a nice person however, when doing this type of work you have to be objective. If someone says I want a satisfactory certificate I tell them whether I feel it's likely to happen or not and why. I then tell them that I'll report on what I find and my opinions based on the regs. I then tell them that after getting the report we can discuss the remedials and how much it is going to cost.
After the remedials they get the appropriate installation cert which is cross referenced to the EICR so in effect, they have their satisfactory report. They've been told A B and C need to be done then they get a certificate for A B and C being done.
Where is the problem?
Doing it your way, and if it works for you then that's fine, you run the risk of someone having your trousers down.

People can ask for a "satisfactory cert" but if the installation isn't up to that level then they are not going to get one. I'll do minor bits to get an installation up to scratch but you have to draw the line some where. It's not being nasty it is just stating fact as you see it

I too am a nice person however, when doing this type of work you have to be objective. If someone says I want a satisfactory certificate I tell them whether I feel it's likely to happen or not and why. I then tell them that I'll report on what I find and my opinions based on the regs. I then tell them that after getting the report we can discuss the remedials and how much it is going to cost.
After the remedials they get the appropriate installation cert which is cross referenced to the EICR so in effect, they have their satisfactory report. They've been told A B and C need to be done then they get a certificate for A B and C being done.
Where is the problem?
Doing it your way, and if it works for you then that's fine, you run the risk of someone having your trousers down.

I use a similar song sheet it's tried and tested and worked for years, I find it easier to walk away from EICR's where the expectation is you will write out a satisfactory cert whatever had a few run in's with customers over the years one even threatened court action because his nearly 8 months pregnant wife suffered stress and a near miscarriage after a builder bodged some extension electrics and I told them there was no way I would or any other self respecting electrician would write out a satisfactory cert to release the money they needed to complete the project and the remedials were not an an hour or two's work

No I don't just do a satisfactory cert I tel them this and that need doing first and it has to be done to get a satisfactory cert
One council around here will not accept it your way trev because they can't seem to understand that you have done the work so it's n o w ok they say the original cert is unsatisfactory . So you will have to right another cert out with satisfactory on it

I dread to think what gets said about me in there, but be warned lads i will get in one day to see:59::59::59:

I dread to think what gets said about me in there, but be warned lads i will get in one day to see:59::59::59:

i think you should be made an honorary member. needs a gorilla in there. :grin:

Reply to what can i do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net