What is a Domestic Installer ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave Buchan

Hi guys,

Here's an interesting one for you, if you look at the attachment on this post from the IET they define a domestic installer as " not an electrician "

If you go to the niceic website and click the 'FIND ELECTRICIAN' tab and select 'ALL ELECTRICAL WORK' it will display various domestic installers and approved contractors in your local area.

So is the domestic installer an ELECTRICIAN?

According to the people who write the national safety standards apparently this is not the case.......

Yet the guys who regulate them for crucial safety reasons seem to know otherwise.....

So who is right?

The IET

or

NICEIC

Attachments

• 2005_15_summer_wiring_matters_part_p_domestic_installer.pdf
    201.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Niceic website.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 131
An electrician

One whose occupation is the installation, maintenance, repair, or operation of electric equipment and circuitry.

So buy that definition my kids, who love turning lights off and on.... and off.... and back on...
Would be classed as electricians...... Still they're probably better qualified than me!

4 week wonder and they are calling them self a spark . It isnt right and the amount of "cock ups" we go to and have to rectify because ... DIY or 4 weeks specials have attempted works . You say has any recent work taken place and they say "no ... nothing for 15 year " their blatently has because new colours are in use. Rant over.

I was talking to an area engineer from "a scheme" a while ago....

He compared it to
First Aiders - That do a short course
& Doctors that are far more qualified and experienced..

Not sure I completely agree to be honest.

4 week wonder and they are calling them self a spark . It isnt right and the amount of "cock ups" we go to and have to rectify because ... DIY or 4 weeks specials have attempted works . You say has any recent work taken place and they say "no ... nothing for 15 year " their blatently has because new colours are in use. Rant over.
What is it about people on this site ?if you have been on the relevant courses and meet the criteria then you can do electrical work on domestic installations, we are all doing the same job to BS 7671, approved electricians didn't write this book . why do they think they're something that they are not,all the clever ones in this industry are dead and buried,Edison,Georg Ohm, Michael Faraday, James Clarke ,Werner von Siemens etc etc we are all wire pullers get real !!!

The terms Domestic Installer & Electrician can refer to completely different fields of work.
There are DI's who are fantastic at what they do & some who are crap, just as there are Electricians as bad & good.
Their description isn't important really, their work is what matters.

:nono:
What is it about people on this site ?if you have been on the relevant courses and meet the criteria then you can do electrical work on domestic installations, we are all doing the same job to BS 7671, approved electricians didn't write this book . why do they think they're something that they are not,all the clever ones in this industry are dead and buried,Edison,Georg Ohm, Michael Faraday, James Clarke ,Werner von Siemens etc etc we are all wire pullers get real !!!

Some better than others though. There are 3 letters which I am not allowed to say anymore for the fear of being banned (thanks)

All cod are fish, but not all fish are cod - think DIs and electricians. Just because someone is working as a DI does not mean that they are not an electrician as well. The important thing is that people undertake work that they are competent to do - unfortunately we have all read examples on here where that is not the case.
(Oh my - what has happened to the little yella fellas) :party::party::party::party:

BQBZVLVZxC0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The Electrician is the one holding the balloon... The rest are Domestic Installers :D

I am sick of these " domestic installers " and " be an electrician in four week wonders " , i served a four year apprenticeship and didn,t sit in a college class listening to a guy with patches on his arms to allow these schemes to cheapen my trade , Gas installers wouldn,t stand for it so why do we ?

I am sick of these " domestic installers " and " be an electrician in four week wonders " , i served a four year apprenticeship and didn,t sit in a college class listening to a guy with patches on his arms to allow these schemes to cheapen my trade , Gas installers wouldn,t stand for it so why do we ?

I rest my case!!!

its not my fault you missed the boat Focusphil , its apprentices that should be getting trained properly , not someone who has been working in a shoe shop for 10 years then decides to get his finger out his **** and get a decent job , goes on a mickey mouse course then thinks there a spark . experience is the answer , i,ve been doing this for 17 years and am still learning so what chance has a 4 weeker got , none thats what

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the way it is. I understand your resentment but if you are a 'fully qualified' electrician then you can take solace in the knowledge that you are more qualified than the DI but to do what they do presumably they are 'qualified' enough. Do people with no knowledge of electrical installation quit being a bus driver, for example, take a four week course and then have the competence to go into people's houses and do electrical work? Surely they must know what they are doing to a certain extent before taking the course.

Do 'fully qualified' Motor Engineers complain about Kwik-Fit as Four Week Wonder Brake and Exhaust Fitters or Neurosurgeons complain about Nurses?

Apart from that as long as 'Joe Bloggs' (sorry Joe) is allowed to buy the parts and do electrical work himself with absolutely no training and ABSOLUTELY NO knowledge of the regulations - albeit with inspection by the LABC if they know and bother to subit their work - then, surely, the fact that a DI has had some training is better than the situation before Part P.

Until the Government make electrical work illegal for the public then the situation will not change but even that would not solve your problem.
As far as I know this is not going to happen. Part P was introduced under the pretense of safety but more lives could be saved in a year by banning motor transport for one day. That's not going to happen either.

my point is that there is nothing to stop me going to university and studying for a medical degree at the age of 32. however if I want to be an "electrician" I have to have chosen the profession at 16 to get on an apprenticeship. if I didn't do that I "missed the boat" so hard luck

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is running the risk of going the same way of all the rest that have been closed. Lenny and Jason have made it clear enough that personal remarks and insults will not be tolerated.

I for one think the JIB and qualified electrician has been done enough over the last week and for one am getting a little tired of reading and having to moderate posts regarding it.
keep it civil

peoples life choices change over the years. I ended up in retail management after my A levels. I should be entitled to change careers if I wish and not be excluded from something if I didn't choose it when I was 16, ill advised and unwise.

Last edited:
peoples life choices change over the years. I ended up in retail management after my A levels. I should be entitled to change careers if I wish and not be excluded from something if I didn't choose it when I was 16, ill advised and unwise.
:iagree:Not many kids at the age of 16 know what they want to work as for the rest of their lives, I was one of them. Besides the electrical industry is an occupation for adults (so to say). I'm not against anyone changing careers but they need to know what they are getting into first. Back to the thread. The description of an electrician in my eyes = A person that has had adequate tutoring to enable them to pass a multitude of relevant exams coupled with enough experience of the area of what they are working in.

Hi guys,

Havnt had time to read ALL the posts made on this thread, or the last before it was moved from the Tool list thread, but i have read enough of such threads on here in the last 6 months to get the general idea.

I feel like im sitting in a AA meeting...So...Hi everyone, my names Ben, i went on a 7 weeks intensive electrical course....Gasp, Sigh,Boo, etc etc.

However, at the tender age of 23, having just finished a criminology degree at University and realising that a career within the police in this...modern cultural climate...wasnt going to happen. Young, fit, healthy, keen, etc, just isnt enough to make a policeman. however.

I have a 16 month old son, and i needed to get in a position where i can support him financially as BEST i can, as soon as could so was left with choices. one of which was to re-train and get some quals doing something.

Now i understand all you guys who have been training for years and really EARNT your quals are bitter, bent out of shape, angry and all those things about people like me who are seemingly running in and stealing your lime light...because quite frankly thats all im seeing, is people getting all bent up about someone having not jumped the same hoops as them but at the end of the day, we are all trying to do the same thing. earn a living to support what we love or just keep our heads dry and food on the table.

I care less about those jumping up and down making a fuss about it, we all do what we have to do, to get on in life. i didnt have 4 years spare to take the same route as you "proper sparks" have done, i had to get on and fast. That comes with experiance sacrifices of course, but us 5 day wonders, are really trying our best either way.

Have some patience guys and support each other, no matter what route we decided to take to get there.

Ben

...sorry for the essay

What is it about people on this site ?if you have been on the relevant courses and meet the criteria then you can do electrical work on domestic installations, we are all doing the same job to BS 7671, approved electricians didn't write this book . why do they think they're something that they are not,all the clever ones in this industry are dead and buried,Edison,Georg Ohm, Michael Faraday, James Clarke ,Werner von Siemens etc etc we are all wire pullers get real !!![/QUOTE]

Well you maybe a wire puller son ..........................but not all of us are

It is a very rare beast nowadays that goes through their entire working life without career changes and, if government predictions are to be believed, then a lot of people presently working will end in jobs that have not even been invented yet.

Reply to What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net