Which consumer units are best | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a very old Wylex fuse board which is need to bring up to current standard Amendment 3.

I believe my property is supplied using a TN-S

I'm looking for a new consumer unit that is 11 or 12 way but not sure which brands are best as I plan on going for all rcbo.

So far I've seen Schneider, Hager and Wylex units

Schneider do one called Resi9 that's top of range but can't find any places that sell them, I can only see the Easy 9 for sale

Hager do one called Design 30

Wylex seem well stocked but I hear their rcbos are over sensitive and trip a lot, also they have had a recall in the past so I'm not sure on their quality in today's climate

I'm just wanting some advice on what you guys like to install, money isn't an object so I'm not after any budget stuff

Can anyone post pictures of their installs, be it cabinets or new metal consumer units

They are on isobar4 now but they are all backwards compatible as far as I know, which is also the same as the previous (v good) MK sentry range as they were rebadged MG breakers.

Not sure... I recently had dealings with a new Acti9 DB. The Acti9 branded MCBs fitted fine but Schneider branded C60 MCBs didn't seem to want to. I didn't confirm it with Schneider however.

The easy 9 boards look quite nice once fitted. However, there isn't much room inside them for dressing cables and the internal design might as well have been designed by a small child. Why would you have a main switch on the right hand side of the board with the left terminal for the neutral and the right terminal for the live is beyond me. I wonder if their amendment 3 will be any better.

Last edited:
I'm going to order the Hager unit myself for the electrician since it seems he's getting ripped off or he is charging more for this M2. just to confirm that these rcbo's are the right ones for domestic. These will be replacing two light circuits fuses, 6A B, two finals 32 B and cooker on 32A B

Unit is Hag114 VML114
Rcbo's Hag ADN106, ADN132

Gil-lec is best for prices on all these
Remember the board will only have a main switch in it no circuit breakers so there will be a lot of blanks to cover up..
The RCBO's are OK for domestic use.

Not sure... I recently had dealings with a new Acti9 DB. The Acti9 branded MCBs fitted fine but Schneider branded C60 MCBs didn't seem to want to. I didn't confirm it with Schneider however.

I may have been mistaken then, but I'm sure they are backwards compatible.
They are also still making the c60 and c120 MCBs

It could just have been me not jiggling it right. That's been the case in quite a few situations before.
nope there are different schneider breakers and there not all compatable with each other

[ElectriciansForums.net] Which consumer units are best

[ElectriciansForums.net] Which consumer units are best

the ic ones are acti9 i belive the other is the easy range but im not sure (we use ic range all the time)

Last edited:

Reply to Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net