Which is the Wago? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which is the Wago? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all..

I was in two minds whether to post this thread as it will show me up as a fool, but it's worth it if it brings attention to the wago fakes.

I regret to say I bought some wago's from Ebay. From a dealer with excellent feedback and marketed as 'Wago', but it was still very foolish of me and will be not be repeated.

I noticed that when I gave a slight tug after fitting the conductor into the 'wago' some of them were pulling out, this had never happened before. I had only just bought them so I looked closely at the 'wago' and realised it wasn't a wago at all and had 'hupu' written on it instead of 'wago'.

I wrote to the company explaining my concerns, they state it is a good product and has been tested. I think it is of an awful standard. Luckily I had only used them in one house, so I can replace easily, but I suspect these are flooding the market as this one seller has sold many.

I realise you can tell the difference when you look closely, but they are pretty similar!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Which is the Wago?[ElectriciansForums.net] Which is the Wago?[ElectriciansForums.net] Which is the Wago?

Last edited:
Did they have any CE markings on the packaging or instructions. Certainly doesn't look like any markings on the product. I think I would be tempted to send samples to trading standards and one of the testing houses. If they were marketed as Wago's and not wago equivilant or similar then there is the additional fraudulent advertising. Whether it would get anywhere I don't know but at least you know you tried to start making people aware by posting the warning I here. I guess members who are also on other electrical forums will cross post to spread the warning.

I'd be calling wago, ebay, & trading standards. Mind you, last time I contacted trading standards about a dangerous electrical item being sold on ebay, they took a month to get back to me saying it was not an area of UK sales they were particularly bothered about.

The big green Wago logo looks like a clear clue lol.

I'd be after a refund and reporting the seller to ebay if they are claiming them as wago's, but you'll probably find in the item description they are not, and the item you have bought is what is described there.

Did they have any CE markings on the packaging or instructions. Certainly doesn't look like any markings on the product. I think I would be tempted to send samples to trading standards and one of the testing houses. If they were marketed as Wago's and not wago equivilant or similar then there is the additional fraudulent advertising. Whether it would get anywhere I don't know but at least you know you tried to start making people aware by posting the warning I here. I guess members who are also on other electrical forums will cross post to spread the warning.

No, nothing with the packaging. Alarm bells should have rang then, but my brain just saw a wago as they looked identical!

I'd be calling wago, ebay, & trading standards. Mind you, last time I contacted trading standards about a dangerous electrical item being sold on ebay, they took a month to get back to me saying it was not an area of UK sales they were particularly bothered about.

I have just written to wago, but I expect they are already aware as they have a page in this months Professional Electrician which mentions fakes.
The big green Wago logo looks like a clear clue lol.

I'd be after a refund and reporting the seller to ebay if they are claiming them as wago's, but you'll probably find in the item description they are not, and the item you have bought is what is described there.

Quite right 123! No real excuses, however you do tend to look at the top of the wago when you're connecting it, not the bottom. Even then I'm not sure I would have noticed it for some time, perhaps months if they had not been pulling out of the connector block when I gave a slight testing tug!

It looks extremely convincing, in all fairness they probably come out of the same factory.

i usually buy my ones from screwfix, HappyHippyDad, if you like Wago connectors, you should try the 4 port hellermantyton connector, very handy, also Screwfix do a 3 port push in by ideal I think it was which again is excellent.

happy, looking at pic #3, you is seriously going to have to do something about your man -----.they're casting huge shadows. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

It looks extremely convincing, in all fairness they probably come out of the same factory.

i usually buy my ones from screwfix, HappyHippyDad, if you like Wago connectors, you should try the 4 port hellermantyton connector, very handy, also Screwfix do a 3 port push in by ideal I think it was which again is excellent.
I didn't think they looked that similar at all. And if from the same factory...you'd think they would work!

happy, looking at pic #3, you is seriously going to have to do something about your man -----.they're casting huge shadows. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Trust you Tel!! I try and keep the pictures as simple as possible with nothing else showing, however I forget to crop pic 3 and somehow you manage to get the word '-----' into the thread!!! :smile5:

It is not just e-bay. Last year I bought 100 x 5 lever Wago's from an wholesalers, they were fake! They the got the "Wago's" cheaper from another supplier and got them in. I noticed within the first few I used that the grey plastic at the front where the cable terminal is opens/splits open when you pull the lever back!!!

Took them back and got a refund. I cant mention which national wholesaler it is due to being barred from their local branch for kicking off about another one of their inadequate products. All I can say is, they sell plumbing supplies as well. Hope the manager reads this post, I love for that little rounded door handle to have a pop at me.

Best look to change wholesaler then Paul. What other cheap fake "carp" have they been chucking your way?

Those jokers are history, never going to use any of their branches. The other "carp" (cough), well lets put it this way. Any LED security lights I install are on a stand alone PIR and not a built in version.

Getting back to the Wago's, only buy them from wholesalers you know and trust and check the packaging. God forbid that any electrician on here uses a fake connection Wago and sets a house on fire! Check what your buying and using.

Those jokers are history, never going to use any of their branches. The other "carp" (cough), well lets put it this way. Any LED security lights I install are on a stand alone PIR and not a built in version.

Getting back to the Wago's, only buy them from wholesalers you know and trust and check the packaging. God forbid that any electrician on here uses a fake connection Wago and sets a house on fire! Check what your buying and using.

Well if you're not happy with your Wagos, there's always solder & heat shrink! :leaving:

Well if you're not happy with your Wagos, there's always solder & heat shrink! :leaving:

On top of the ladders doing shop display lighting with trailing leads and a soldering iron! Not a chance with the management and their risk assessment lol. I could burn the whole place down!!!! If it's not a Klik system, I use Wago's. Easy to change fittings in the future etc.

I quite like heat shrink, dont use it often enough.

I have recently used heatshrink tubes with solder rings inside them, where Wagos were not suitable. I was a bit sceptical (actually they'd sat unused in my crimps & heatshink box for over a year), but they seemed to work quite well.

On top of the ladders doing shop display lighting with trailing leads and a soldering iron! Not a chance with the management and their risk assessment lol. I could burn the whole place down!!!! If it's not a Klik system, I use Wago's. Easy to change fittings in the future etc.

I quite like heat shrink, dont use it often enough.

Get a gas soldering iron, it saves all that trailing cable malarkey or plugging it in to heat up and running up the scaff tower with the hot iron to make the connection before it goes cold (I ran out of gas with one last DMX point to fit)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently used heatshrink tubes with solder rings inside them, where Wagos were not suitable. I was a bit sceptical (actually they'd sat unused in my crimps & heatshink box for over a year), but they seemed to work quite well.

Never used them. I'll get some next week and try them out. (not much need for soldering for what I do but it is always nice to know what is available, thank you).

Get a gas soldering iron, it saves all that trailing cable malarkey or plugging it in to heat up and running up the scaff tower with the hot iron to make the connection before it goes cold (I ran out of gas with one last DMX point to fit)
plug in soldering irons are only fit for the bin, a variable temp soldering station or gas iron

portasol ones are good, i grabbed a weller pyropen

Reply to Which is the Wago? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net