Which rods.... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which rods.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all....

If anyone is still around;)

Well time has come to buy a set of rods, havent had a set for years always ended up snapping them and loosing all the different end bits. And also kept getting fibre galss splinters.

But had enough now of my MT2 lid which isnt really that great either so time for a change.

Any recommendations please...?

Thanks Sy:)

I've got the Super Six set of Super Rods Super Six Cable Rod Set. Not too much to spend and I've never needed more than what comes in this basic kit, though you can buy other accessories separately. Don't know how I could do without them. Never broken one yet and I use them all the time. Haven't tried the cheap sets but I've heard they aren't so robust.

CEF's own brand....Tec I think is the make, they're all amde of the same stuff pretty much. I pay £12 for a set of 10 1M rods with a few bits and bobs.

Got my last set from Screwfix, just the budget set 10x 1m rods, hook and a few other bits for about £18.
I have had 3 or 4 sets all the same just badged up differently. A set last me about 2 years but i use them for more than just pulling cables. Mate has a very posh set, and it even has a camera, posh fatherless person:cool:

Cheers........Howard

CEF's own brand....Tec I think is the make, they're all amde of the same stuff pretty much. I pay £12 for a set of 10 1M rods with a few bits and bobs.

Same here and never had any splinters from them either as they don't seem to be made of GRP.

Also had some of these for well over 12 months with none of them snapping [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013EXTKU/ref=asc_df_B0013EXTKU768215?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0013EXTKU]Draper 45274 Cable Access Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Last time i used mine was to get into a car lol the mrs had locked her keys in the car and called the AA but the guy came up and after using a leaver to prise open the door enough to drive wedges into the door seal couldnt get the release latch across and his metal wire kept slipping off it so out came my £10 cheap rods and within 30 seconds the car door was open lol i didnt mark the door one bit but his metal wire scrached the inner door GRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by a moderator:
i tend to include cheap rods, drill bits, augers etc into price of rewire, use them for the job then bin them, had decent stuff in the past but usually end up lost or damaged after couble rewires.

Why is it ? anytime I'm reading a thread about tools or equipment,even if I have them,I start thinking "I could do with that" or" I could do with a new one of those":confused:

Draper 45274 Cable Access Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY...
Nice one.... set of rods on the way £9 all in delivered :)
Why is it ? anytime I'm reading a thread about tools or equipment,even if I have them,I start thinking "I could do with that" or" I could do with a new one of those":confused:
LOL.... makes me laugh now I think about it, always doing it, just brought a carpet kicker from Argos as seen on here... also which haven't used much is a floor board nail puller thingy, just cant seem to get on with it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Because your a toolaholic as well ! :D

More to the point why is it when i have money everything is at full price but when im skint everything is on a 99% off sale GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

My normal answer to the old dorris in doors after she says YER BUT YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THOSE is YER BUT THIS ONES BETTER ! mind you her eqalizing answer to that 1-0 score is YER AND YOU HAVENT USED THAT ONE EITHER ! and im forced into a regular old DOHHHH

I used a rod as a front door key for over a year as lost key and found it easier than getting 1 cut. Could get in under 30 secs.
The blue rods are the worst for splinters. Super rod seem to be the best.

I have two set's of Super-Rod Mega Set's in the van. A great piece of kit, never needed more than one set, but you never know when you might need a second!:D

Just ordered that Draper set, seems like a very reasonable price for non-blue rods. Will report back when they've been used.

Hellermann have just brought out their own version of the super rods they look remarkably similar. Bet your bottom dollar they will be trying to plug them as much as possible at the Elex show this year, so they may try and undercut Super Rod to steal some business. As for me 2 mega sets of Super Rods and 1 standard set and still I want more :D

CS-SD - Cable Installation System - HellermannTyton

Correction they are made by the same people.

Got my last set from Screwfix, just the budget set 10x 1m rods, hook and a few other bits for about £18.
I have had 3 or 4 sets all the same just badged up differently. A set last me about 2 years but i use them for more than just pulling cables. Mate has a very posh set, and it even has a camera, posh fatherless person:cool:

Cheers........Howard

@Lenny.....Any idea if the thread size on those rods are the same as SuperRods.

I bought the same ones as SirKit Breaker and then bought the SuperRod QuickGrip set only to find the thread sizes were different. :mad:

Received the Draper set today - they certainly look better than the blue ones, they are nice and thin with quite a lot of thread to stop them unscrewing. They seem pretty flexible so hopefully won't snap, but also may be a little over-flexible for when poking around in a void with a lot of noggins in it. The hook is pretty small and I may fabricate or try and get hold of a bigger one. These are meter long rods so obviously the tube is a pretty big one.

Will report back when they've been used.

Right finally had the chance to give that Draper set a proper bashing on a commando domestic rewire.... and they're gold!

I was initially unimpressed as the first time I used them one of the brass couplers snapped, but I guess it must have been defective as I've had them bent round corners and up walls at acute 45deg angles.... have really given them a good going over and they've stood up to all the abuse. Well worth the pittance I paid for them, I'd say 1000 times better than the screwfix 'blue' set. These are really long rods, they also do a set of foot-longs which could be handy to mix-and-match these with for really tight spots.

i've got a cheapo set ( £12 ) which I use mostly. bought the all singing ones for £65 and use them when I know they will not get abused. LED on end is great for the mate in the attic to find. best one with the cheapos was fishing 6ft behind dry line to add extra socket in newly decorated bedroom. customer said " how the heck you managed to get the cables in there without chasing?" I love it when a plan comes together!

Last edited:

Reply to Which rods.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net