Which Tester | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newmodel

Hi, just learning and am about halfway through a domestic electrical course and need to practice my practical skills a little as I don't get to do much on site.

I was looking at the world of multimeters and, let's be honest here, there's shed loads!

I've pretty much decided Fluke and Megger are the top boys here but what tester would suit me best.

I will be doing domestics only, I can't see myself going into commercial and industry area to be honest so what is a good tester that will cover all domestic situations and standard test eg continuity, polarity, insulation resistance, Ze, Zs etc

I've read a few reviews and these come up a lot.....

Fluke 117 Digital Multimeter LCD, 6000 counts CAT III 600 V

Fluke 116 HVAC Multimeter with Temperature and Microamps

Are these as good as the reviews say and will this cover me for all household situations?

Any info or advice would be helpful thanks http://www.------.org/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I don't mind if these are overkill either as long as I get a good bit of kit.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you buy 2nd hand (or new come to that) make sure it comes with a calibration certificate or you'll be needing to spend a further £75 or so!

Testers are like shoes - you need to spend wisely and as much as you can as you need to have a device you can trust and will do everything you need.

The forum has a sponsor - test meter - if you can afford new they have a very useful comparison matrix

Welcome

Hi, just learning and am about halfway through a domestic electrical course and need to practice my practical skills a little as I don't get to do much on site.

I was looking at the world of multimeters and, let's be honest here, there's shed loads!

I've pretty much decided Fluke and Megger are the top boys here but what tester would suit me best.

I will be doing domestics only, I can't see myself going into commercial and industry area to be honest so what is a good tester that will cover all domestic situations and standard test eg continuity, polarity, insulation resistance, Ze, Zs etc

I've read a few reviews and these come up a lot.....

Fluke 117 Digital Multimeter LCD, 6000 counts CAT III 600 V

Fluke 116 HVAC Multimeter with Temperature and Microamps

Are these as good as the reviews say and will this cover me for all household situations?

Any info or advice would be helpful thanks http://www.------.org/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I don't mind if these are overkill either as long as I get a good bit of kit.

Hi,your choice of multimeters,does not include these tests within their capability. This is normally catered for by the use of an MFT.

You need to have a clear idea of what ranges and functions,you require,and choose the best machine,within your budget,that does so.

I am afraid,you will not find any "one" device,which will either carry out all of the tests a domestic electrician needs,or comply with all of the safety requirements,required during safe testing.

Your course tutor will or should confirm this for you,and if not....be afraid...:winkiss:

Op is it a multi meter or multi function tester that you require because as Peg rightly points out they are 2 different testers.

For all the requirements you have mentioned, IMHO Metrel make good multi function testers at an affordable price. However, for a robust throw in the bag multimeter, the 117 has served me well, and has some good functions.
Others will disagree as it is made in China :)

if your after a multimeter fluke has the largest range but your thinking of an mft.

megger 1552,1720 or fluke 1652,1652,1654 are ones to look at.

if its a multimeter your after look at a second hand 179

What MFT are you using on your course? It may be wise to get the same, even just make, a second hand one perhaps with (calibration cert) for the time being, until you've become more confident and spend more cash in the future, just a thought. These are expensive pieces of kit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I thought MFT were the same as MM, guess that's a rookie mistake lol The help was much appreciated, I'll look through my options and see what will best suit my needs.

With a MFT is it still a good idea to get a separate Voltage tester or do most MFT's do this function?

Thanks guys, I thought MFT were the same as MM, guess that's a rookie mistake lol The help was much appreciated, I'll look through my options and see what will best suit my needs.

With a MFT is it still a good idea to get a separate Voltage tester or do most MFT's do this function?
most do test voltage but you will want another voltage tester.

afterall a multimeter is a lot cheaper to replace and doesnt really need calibrating if your only doing electrics (i usually have a dmm and a voltage indicator in my bag)

Reply to Which Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net