Working in this heat | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Working in this heat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
is anyone else unlucky enough to be inside working during our glorious summer we so deservedly need?
iv been in a greenhouse working in 50+ heat for the last week
[ElectriciansForums.net] Working in this heat

going onto nights next week thank god

Next monday I am being sent to do some wiring for downlighters in a bedroom, lots of loft work coming up, however the owner told the boss to tell us to bring our swim trunks so we can have a dip in his big indoor pool :)

Its not hot get a life guys and try living and working here in Spain ...60m of chasing out today all tubed out and cable runs in oh and by the way min temp for tonight is 29deg with 76% humidity

i think i've been quite lucky with this heatwave, been working in some new builds that are jam packed full of insulation ever since it started getting hot. it's amazing how much cooler they stay than say, the garage, which is a sweatbox cos theres no insulation. and the loft is just out of bounds after 10AM!
also another thing i just learned this week, if anybodys having trouble sleeping cos of the heat, open up your loft hatch in the evening and all the hot air escapes into the loft and it cools the house

But then all the ghosties fly down and eat my brain.....
That said, they'd still be hungry.

Got a thermocouple and a calibrator to measure the temperature where I was working all day today, 62.4 degrees lol, absolute heat trap right at the top of a canopy over two gas fired furnace units. and also the coolest place in the plant outside of the office was 39 degrees lol. Of course the office is has a/c and everything else while we struggle to see with sweat pouring off us. Been like this for 2 weeks now...and many more to come. Sometimes I get as far as tying a noose to hang haha. All I do to cool down is take advantage of a memo from management saying "take some time out of your shift to take regular drinks of water" by taking that time around every 15 minutes haha. Also one of the units is more or less 100% humidity because of induction quenching etc. Literally cannot breathe if you have to climb a ladder in there :/.

I do not think there is a legal high limit, but it used to be that for office based staff if the temperature in the room was below 16 deg C then they did not have to work.

There certainly used to be, for factories anyway!! So long ago now i can't remember what they were. I remember one year during a heatwave the temperature rose to a level where the management had to provide on-going cold drinks to all the employee's. I can also remember them all willing the temperature to rise further so that they could all go home!! lol!!

i'm suprised at the lack of care regarding the heat, today a mate told me he was with some fitters outside on a roof of a nuclear plant in full PVC suits fixing something. this is a site that has endless risk assessments done every 2 seconds, surely this risk might crop up "risk of cocking up due to discomfort, frustration and heat exaustion"

There certainly used to be, for factories anyway!! So long ago now i can't remember what they were. I remember one year during a heatwave the temperature rose to a level where the management had to provide on-going cold drinks to all the employee's. I can also remember them all willing the temperature to rise further so that they could all go home!! lol!!

I started working in factories in 1986, and I've never known a single day when production was stopped due to the heat, even when the sweat has been running off our noses. Even the legal "low temperature" rule can be worked around...I worked for a couple of years in an asbestos feed mill, and it was often below freezing inside. The Company got around it by classing it as a warehouse, and no rules applied.

I started working in factories in 1986, and I've never known a single day when production was stopped due to the heat, even when the sweat has been running off our noses. Even the legal "low temperature" rule can be worked around...I worked for a couple of years in an asbestos feed mill, and it was often below freezing inside. The Company got around it by classing it as a warehouse, and no rules applied.

I didn't say it ever happened, as you say the management would have found one way or another to get around closeing the lines down. I'm going back way before 86, when the Unions were particually strong. Most of the Western European countries have an upper working temperature limit, even many of the Middle Eastern countries have one, but it's funny the ''official'' temperapture, never quite makes that limit...lol!!

Reply to Working in this heat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net