Search the forum,

Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

They returned next day removed the rcd fitted rcbo's throughout lol and didn't charge for it.... lesson learnt i hope, although domestic hasn't got the same enforcement of these regulations as the consequences are not as dire.

to be honest i follow what architect asking for..because its domestic installation its not designed to have rcbo ..

- - - Updated - - -

So why not all in one suitable/sized db?

Boydy

very narrow space and to many circuits..i cant fit single db ..its more easy to do on this way..

I can't understand why any commercial premises, ....and especially food and/or beverage outlets, such as Pub's, cafe's, restaurants and the like, would have a dual 17th edition CU/DB installed, it's just asking for trouble...

People going off about ''high integrity boards'', ...well you can't get much more high integrity than a RCBO CU/DB can you!! A damned sight easier to fault find on as well, if and when the occasion arises...

I can't understand why any commercial premises, ....and especially food and/or beverage outlets, such as Pub's, cafe's, restaurants and the like, would have a dual 17th edition CU/DB installed, it's just asking for trouble...

People going off about ''high integrity boards'', ...well you can't get much more high integrity than a RCBO CU/DB can you!! A damned sight easier to fault find on as well, if and when the occasion arises...

Absolutely. But that's where the word 'design' comes into play....it's not just simply formulaic that you do x,y,z. OK, the bulk of my work is domestic because that's whats defined geographically but I never just simply 'bung in a 12 way split' unless that is genuinely the best answer.

You use eyes, brain, experience and technical knowledge to produce the most applicable solution.

It would be a bit like a dressmaker only having one size mannequin, one type of material and the same pattern. They couldn't really lay claim to the title 'designer', could they?

Solar installs and other

I used to do some work for a solar company installing connecting and powering up solar installations (pannels where installed by a builder but connected by myself)
I have also decided to throw in a few images of a 12v system I installed in a boat (lights tv socket solar charger speaker system and light on front of boat) it's totally 12v the battery is kept charged by a solar pannel and if your wondering about the blue light that's to identify the light switch as there's one for the lights one for the horn and one for the flood on the front
it took two days to install the switch/ fuse box and wire up the battery all the led strips the tv socket horns and relays powering the horn and flood the fairy lights Wernt installed by myself the guys wife thought they would look nice she told me

later I will add the generator circuit I designed built from scratch and tested as soon as it's fully completed
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 209
Absolutely. But that's where the word 'design' comes into play....it's not just simply formulaic that you do x,y,z. OK, the bulk of my work is domestic because that's whats defined geographically but I never just simply 'bung in a 12 way split' unless that is genuinely the best answer.

You use eyes, brain, experience and technical knowledge to produce the most applicable solution.

It would be a bit like a dressmaker only having one size mannequin, one type of material and the same pattern. They couldn't really lay claim to the title 'designer', could they?

I think it is much more to do with comparing costs between a cheap 17th CU and an all RCBO CU.
It wouldn't really surprise me at all if that's where most so-called ''designs'' start and finish these days!!

2013-12-11 16.45.03.jpgFor a cannibas farm. They wired the ring main directly to the live supply coming from the common stairwell bypassing the meter. They must have wired it live as well, as there was no access to the incoming fuse. Into a connector block with the 100A meter tails.

View attachment 22003For a cannibas farm. They wired the ring main directly to the live supply coming from the common stairwell bypassing the meter. They must have wired it live as well, as there was no access to the incoming fuse. Into a connector block with the 100A meter tails.

This is posted in show us your installs? I think you need to work on your design and I think your finishing touches need a little tweaking but apart from that you've made a nice job. :hand:

This is posted in show us your installs? I think you need to work on your design and I think your finishing touches need a little tweaking but apart from that you've made a nice job. :hand:
Ha ha. I'm sure I would be more if I did this sort of work - reducing electricity bills by 60%. Just don't tell Scottish Power.

Nothing very interesting just a ground lighting job. But it was an absolute pain to do

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389803134759.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 303
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389803174967.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 262
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389803204182.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 255
Yes in ducting all selv. What's the problem with that?

What about the ones marked up 230v ???
Can i ask why you chose SY ... its often misused and incorrectly installed and over the last 5yrs ive ripped out so much of this crap.. its design as a control cable the braid is a screening and is not mechanical protection, the outer clear sheath is unsuitable for outdoor use and whenever its is utilised as a power cable for LV the braiding should be earthed but a must is that it isn't used for earth.... not saying you have done any of this but interested to why this cable was chosen as i cant see any benefits with using it?

The 230v is for a commando socket below. Sy was chosen because the control side requires a screened cable with multi cores that is flexible enough to connect to the lights. sy seemed the best choice. All cables are glanded correctly with the braiding and no just using stuffing glands. What makes sy cable unsuitable for outdoor use.?

Just to add to that, the manufacturer of this cable states it should not be connected to mains voltage.

This is not entirely true ... the suppliers i know specify it shouldn't be used as a power supply cable as in tails or similar but it can be used to carry voltages up to its rating which means supplying motors like I use it for from inverters (400v 3ph) with screening to comply with relevant EU regulations...

Its misuse is the over promotion of wholesalers selling it as a rough service cable which it is not as it ends up been used for extensions etc which is totally unsuitable for ... ive had 3 accounts of people getting shocks of unearthed or corroded braiding because of a tack, nail metal bur etc piercing the live only making the braiding live!

I just seen a factory with all its machine supplies wired in sy with taped off screening and to say its been wired by an Electrician does make me wonder how this stuff has found its way to been utilised so many times for the wrong purposes...

Again it can be used with LV but you need to know its limitations and ensure its not used as a alternative to an extension or frequently flexing cable.

I totally agree DW, this is a quote from the manufacturer (It's changed wording slightly since the last time I looked)

SY Cables are not suitable for direct connection to the public mains.

This is not entirely true ... the suppliers i know specify it shouldn't be used as a power supply cable as in tails or similar but it can be used to carry voltages up to its rating which means supplying motors like I use it for from inverters (400v 3ph) with screening to comply with relevant EU regulations...

Its misuse is the over promotion of wholesalers selling it as a rough service cable which it is not as it ends up been used for extensions etc which is totally unsuitable for ... ive had 3 accounts of people getting shocks of unearthed or corroded braiding because of a tack, nail metal bur etc piercing the live only making the braiding live!

I just seen a factory with all its machine supplies wired in sy with taped off screening and to say its been wired by an Electrician does make me wonder how this stuff has found its way to been utilised so many times for the wrong purposes...

Again it can be used with LV but you need to know its limitations and ensure its not used as a alternative to an extension or frequently flexing cable.

We use a lot of sy but if its not protected e.g in trunking.

We tend to use swa if not

The 230v is for a commando socket below. Sy was chosen because the control side requires a screened cable with multi cores that is flexible enough to connect to the lights. sy seemed the best choice. All cables are glanded correctly with the braiding and no just using stuffing glands. What makes sy cable unsuitable for outdoor use.?

Just curious ... good confident answer!... makes a change to see someone using it correctly.

Thanks darkwood. Just out of curiosity as I assume you work on the control side is there a more suitable cable you would of used? Just thinking about next time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389898974261.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 357
If the SY is not 100% shielded from the sun then you should look towards another cable with UV protection attributes ..the outer sheath is so designed on purpose mainly for machine use and similar control needs as it is see through and any degradation of the shielding/braid can be easily inspected.

Because the sheath is clear it lacks a lot of attributes found in most cable sheaths and even the ones it gives like moderate acid and oil resistance only apply at room temp' and can't be guaranteed when subject it to temp extremes... How its use has been catapulted into this fits all solution when it is clearly unsuitable for most purposes the average Joe spark utilises it for...

Pop onto RS Components web site and you'll find many better suited to your needs that don't have the limitations SY does although RS's downfall is it doesn't cut to length so Scatts maybe a better option .. the problem is most general wholesalers don't stock any other shielded cables so i assume this is a reason for its explosion into the scene of misuse as SY was promoted as a suits all cable with added mechanical protection ...a lot of uses took this as a open door for blindly misusing it.

The problem with screened cable is the expense of suitable glands but as SY has flooded the market it has seen a budget gland enter the market that is affordable.... if you venture for more suitable alternative expect the reality check of expensive glands to enter the arena again.

Spent £50 on a panel receptical and Free-plug with extended screen clamp other day - extortionate just to connect a cable to a panel :O/

Last edited:
heres a couple of my last jobs.first one is a new switch room upgrade which im still on with. then a control panel controlling the temperature on two mixing vessels using PT100 probes
samsung phone 172.jpgsamsung phone 173.jpgsamsung phone 176.jpgsamsung phone 177.jpg

Is that standard to use unistrut as a cable containment system?? ...photo's #3 + #4

Are they unprotected/uncontained singles going in to that emg beacon?? ...photo #4

If the SY is not 100% shielded from the sun then you should look towards another cable with UV protection attributes ..the outer sheath is so designed on purpose mainly for machine use and similar control needs as it is see through and any degradation of the shielding/braid can be easily inspected.

Because the sheath is clear it lacks a lot of attributes found in most cable sheaths and even the ones it gives like moderate acid and oil resistance only apply at room temp' and can't be guaranteed when subject it to temp extremes... How its use has been catapulted into this fits all solution when it is clearly unsuitable for most purposes the average Joe spark utilises it for...

Pop onto RS Components web site and you'll find many better suited to your needs that don't have the limitations SY does although RS's downfall is it doesn't cut to length so Scatts maybe a better option .. the problem is most general wholesalers don't stock any other shielded cables so i assume this is a reason for its explosion into the scene of misuse as SY was promoted as a suits all cable with added mechanical protection ...a lot of uses took this as a open door for blindly misusing it.

The problem with screened cable is the expense of suitable glands but as SY has flooded the market it has seen a budget gland enter the market that is affordable.... if you venture for more suitable alternative expect the reality check of expensive glands to enter the arena again.

Spent £50 on a panel receptical and Free-plug with extended screen clamp other day - extortionate just to connect a cable to a panel :O/

Surely if it's underground in ducting then sunlight isn't a problem. Daz

The beacon comes pre-wired but it goes through a bushed entry,thanks.

Shame there is no bushed entry into the beacon. Listen, we have several of these pre wired beacons in our plant rooms etc, ...all have been provided with rigid or flexible conduit containment. NONE have been left with the wiring left swinging around in free air, without protection....

As for the unistrut being used as containment, do me a favour!! Any industrial Engineer worth his sort, would be screaming at you for that installation to be provided with a bona fide containment system....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, the cable was temp to power up DBs while the job was ongoing. i can only have power off at weekends so alot has to be temp to keep production running.

oh right sorry i see which one you mean now, a right balls up. full of asbestos flash strip, no earth bar and all 15 DBs off one busbar with one isolation point.

heres a few of the installs i done since i finnished my training
theres some decorative work from a regular customer of the company i do work for aswell as another (solar firm) mostly solar there but thats all i did for 18 months and was a very busy 18 month most the time it was 7days a week all day and over time
IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0153.jpg

each install below took 2-2.5 days with the odd 3 days to all put together

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0164.jpg IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg IMG_0320.jpg

Last edited:
No i don't have any issues to deal with, ....I'd pray for yourself mate, you still obviously think you're living in your'e own little Utopia....

Nice when you get to terminate and mount these kind of jobs ... all your tools by you - radio on and you get to stand back and admire what to others looks like a complicated feat ;)

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net