Search the forum,

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like an for amateur radio. It's not unusual for them to pick up stray voltage from mains wiring. Small antennas like that aren't too difficult to handle, unlike the big outdoor antennas which could have thousands of volts on them in relation to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an for amateur radio. It's not unusual for them to pick up stray voltage from mains wiring. Small antennas like that aren't too difficult to handle, unlike the big outdoor antennas which could have thousands of volts on them in relation to the ground.

I did wonder if it was some sort of antenna, In my past life in the Royal Navy I fiddled with radio stuff a lot but if the 'snakes wedding' wrapped around the larger cable was the original feed, it would be a bit to large for a tuned circuit so to speak, I may be wrong. What would be ideal is to see what is on the other side of it in the neighbours loft...

A few from a Dom PIR I did today........just had a whole new bathroom install mind, shower, fan, center light etc all connected to this lot.

An 8 way 3036 CU with upfront VOELCB & nowt else!!!!:skull:

One of these photos reminded me of a fault I came across a few years ago...whilst working in house installing some additional lighting the customer mentioned that her two boys were getting shocks from a brass wall light in hallway..upon investigation I found that the light was fed from an adjacent switch. The switch contained a two core feed and a three core flex from the wall light..obviously DIY. The switch itself was a two way switch ..the neutrals were twisted together, the red from two core to switch common and the live from light to L1..guess where the earth from light was connected...L2 so when the light was switched off the whole fitting was live...

Yes! I got a problem with my electric circuits at my home.I am not able to run my appliances which demands a power supply more than 15 Amp......What to do?

Re: Tell us about your faults !

I was called back three times! Lady said her computer lines were down so I tested them and they had failed so I had pulled three new lines. Found a rat that kept eating my wires for lunch. Took me 4 hours to find where the rat was eating. So I invited the rat to dinner and gave him some peanut butter then SNAP! The trap broke his little neck, Job complete. Tangent Electric | Seattle Electricians and Electrical Contractors

IMG-20110906-00007.jpg

Installer left a drill hole for the swa tag on top of the 3 pole isolator. on the particular one he decided to crimp the earth seperatly leaving a hole exposed for the lovely british weather !

IMG-20110419-00065.jpg

the "electrician" signed this job of for a landlord ive started workin for in liverpool. the 1st thing i spotted was a lack of that green stuff he didnt like. i'll let him of for not using earth sleeving. lousy but not lethal... the board was a mess like the rest of the installation.

......however i wont forgive him for not realsing the utilities had not provided a earth link !! for their TNCs sytem...so he just left it. and off course just left the earth bonidng to gas and water floating above in tray work.

HI, first post so treat me gently please! At work we have a moveable electric hoist unit that travels round and gets plugged in via a fly lead on a spring loaded cable extension drum to one of various sockets. The sockets are fed as a radial and are 3P+N+E, all fed from the same 4-pole 30ma RCD. The oddity to me is that the hoist itself has a 500ma RCD i.e. after the 30mA RCD. We KNOW we have a fault somewhere on the hoist itself and are looking into that. What I can't figure though is why the RCD's are this way round, it goes against the principles of discrimination to my mind. Neither RCD is anything special that I know i.e. time delayed etc. Not suprisingly when it faults the 30mA trip at the dis. board is generally the one to go (I'm not personally there to investigate). The install is probably nearly 20 years old so I can only guess regs then were less stringent. To my mind there is a pretty high risk of the hoist electrical cables being crushed etc and posing a risk to the operator. I've looked at my regs and OSG and appreciate all the bits about it being commercial premises and under the supervision of skilled / instructed workers etc so possibly allowing for omission of RCD's. Rough plan is to check out that the 500mA RCD is working correctly (with an RCD tester), find the fault causing the 30mA to trip and then we're back to having it working but again with the 500mA RCD. As an aside the socket outlets would have been done by the builder and the hoist supplied by A N Other contractor. Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts please on why the RCD's could be this way round? Main issue is, is it considered "safe" with the 500mA jobbie in place. Thanks.

You hit the nail on the head, the age of the equipment. The 500mA RCD doesn’t protect the cable at all, the 30mA is doing everything. So this may sound a bit drastic, chuck the 500mA away. What do you need it for? PS would like to see you test it, the 30mA will have operated long before the 500mA has even thought of doing anything! Unless you bridge the 30mA to do the tests.

This was on a small private wharf, where I was asked to add a hookup point for a second boat.

DCP03244.JPG DCP03242.JPG

A "keen volunteer" did the original installation for them - on the outside of the shed. It was "waterproofed" by a piece of plastic sheet draped over the board. It brings a whole new meaning to special location.

No RCD, Boat supply from TNCS not TT, borrowed neutral on lights, back of cu open to fingers etc., everything wired either in 2.5 T&E or odd bits of flex, mysterious taped up cables... I could go on, but won't.

I explained that a few other bits and pieces needed to be done before I could add the second hookup point. They agreed.

Can anyone help me with a problem I came across regarding a Radioteleswitched meter.

I got called to a house because the storage heaters weren't working. I check the circuit breakers and all were on, tho noticed that the internal breakers of the radioteleswitch meter were tripped, resetting it, the heaters worked again. I got called out 2 weeks later for the same problems. After resetting the meter, I discovered one of the storage heaters wasn't working, after having a closer look I found that the thermal cut out had melted, is there any reason this would cause the meter to trip rather than the circuit breaker?

Hi, I'm new tothis - I need to do 6 posts to get me started apparently. I’d like to asksomeone’s advice about my bathroom window extractor fan.
The glazierinstalled the window with the fan about 2 years ago, I done the electrics.
When I firstswitched it on it appeared faulty. It took about 5 minutes to work. It seemedto be ok after that (but a bit noisy) but recently it occasionally doesn’t startup until a few minutes after power up.
Anyone got anysuggestions?

Got called to a house the other day, fault on ring final.

Have you had any work done recently?

Yeah i had some shelves put up on friday

When did the eletric go?

Friday

SOme clever b@stard only put up shelves above a CU in the cupboard, went straight through two legs of the ring on two sets of shelves!! Still, keeps us in work ;-)

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock