16a socket | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 16a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi all, hopefully just a quick one.

Been asked to install a 16a commando socket in commercial premises for table saw.
It will be on a dedicated 20A radial cct.
Although the appliance is rated at 15A, it does state to allow for currents of up to 18A for start-up.
So my question is relating to the commando socket, would a 16A socket be considered suitable, will it handle the 18A short term current?
Or should I be specifying a 32A commando socket?

Opinions please?

In my opinion, no one should be installing a 16A socket on a 20A MCB. This means an appliance could draw 20A through a plug and socket that is only rated at 16A! There are no fuses in these plugs like domestic ones don't forget.
If the appliance draws more than 16amp it shouldn't have a 16amp plug fitted.

Well you live and learn. I still don't like the idea, a device rated at 16A can stil be expected to carry 20A.

Maybe I am just over cautious :)

The 20A mcb will be protecting the cable mate not the socket.
As long as the cables are adequately sized and the total load doesn't exceed 16amp then there's no probs.

Just out of curiosity what size breakers do you fit to your ring mains with all them lovely 13amp rated sockets on them:)

I think your missing my point - The socket has a maximum current carrying capacity of 16A and is allowed to carry 20A

I obviously fit 32A breakers to a ring main, the difference here is that the 13A fuse in the plug limits the socket outlet to only carrying 13A (The 13A plugtop was invented for this very reason) - There is no fuse in a 16A plug to do this.

Hi all, hopefully just a quick one.

Been asked to install a 16a commando socket in commercial premises for table saw.
It will be on a dedicated 20A radial cct.
Although the appliance is rated at 15A, it does state to allow for currents of up to 18A for start-up.
So my question is relating to the commando socket, would a 16A socket be considered suitable, will it handle the 18A short term current?
Or should I be specifying a 32A commando socket?

Opinions please?
Why don't you just fit a 20 amp rotary isolator and hard wire it in. Fit a type C 20 amp MCB Job done. After all if you fit a 16 amp socket it has to be protected by an RCD or RCBO.

Why don't you just fit a 20 amp rotary isolator and hard wire it in. Fit a type C 20 amp MCB Job done. After all if you fit a 16 amp socket it has to be protected by an RCD or RCBO.

why??????

Reg 411.3.3
Socket outlets with a ratted current not exceeding 20 amps that are for use by on ordinary person should be protected by an RCD

correct, but as it's industrial, who's to say that persons using it are not skilled or instructed?

Reply to 16a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net