A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign | Page 28 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think we should all go into the shops and go on and on at them to remove these items, has anyone compiled a list of all these shops that sell this rubbish ?

Re: Fatally Flawed

New to the Forum but keep dipping in every now and again. Have some work coming up at a local PCT surgery so will pass this on to the practice manager. Good post and worth knowing about.

Cheers

Would like to say I have successfully managed to get a charity service provider to children and young adult with learning disabilities named Cornerstone to stop using these awful things. It was helpful that my gf happens to be in a position within the charity to pursue this matter. Also working on getting the largest local government council in the UK "Highland Council" to do so also, I have already advised many of their properties to do so and a lot are thankful of the knowledge passed others dont give a rats --- but would be nice to get it issued from there Technical Services department and make it council wide.

I have always thought of them as a danger and continually remove them from sockets when ever I see them. I now also put a label on the ones I remove saying " Danger do not use for safety reasons" and add for further details go to....and quote the web site url

The fact that they have a label on as a warning will make responsible people think twice about re using them. If people question me about removing them I tell them I have a duty of care to do so under the health and safety at work act 1974 so I could be breaking the law if I left them in and now that I have told you about it and you are now aware if you continue to use them, you will be breaking the law. I then state that even if there was no law you would not want to put anyone in danger would you?

Apart from the occasional whimper about how much they cost to buy I have had no problems once I do my explanation routine :)

Re: Fatally Flawed

Its the first ive heard about this totally disgusted u c these socket covers everywhere now even my kids schools

I came to the forum to ask something entirely unrelated and found your post. Im shocked! ( Pardon the pun..)
I have 3 kids and have only needed to use these things because my 2nd girl is "curious".

I cant believe it never registered with me before about the danger of these things.

Once I get away from the PC ill be removing them...

What I would also add is that these things highlight the sockets that aren't covered and so bring all of them to the attention of a 2 year old instead of leaving them "as-is"

Well done guys.

If i recall, someone once mentioned making them out of Aluminium, because it is stronger, less likely to break, and because it isn't magnetic, you wont get a shock.

I didnt see any at the trade show though! maybe they didn't catch on eh!

Cheers............Howard

Back in November Terminator mentioned the letter which John Madden wrote to Wiring Matters (Issue 45) in response to the Mark Coles article on this subject. The printed version of Wiring Matters Issue 46 is just out and includes my formal response letter. The new issue is not yet online, but my letter can be seen at www.shocked.org.uk - the letter as published is slightly shorter due to space issues.

Please keep the campaign going!

Best wishes to all,
David

At last, issue 46 of Wiring matters is now on-line:
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/46/complete.cfm

i have just taken my little boy for his 1st year check up. when i was in the building i saw hundreds of these in sockets. I didnt say anything as i was planning to after our appointment, but during she said make sure you have 'plug safety covers' i then butted in with actually it is a socket and these no place in any building. i gave her an explanation as to why but she just looked at me like i didnt know what i was saying, i even demonstrated to her! With that i left but i did manage to catch a chap in a suit with a clipboard listening to me, he asked me to email over the information and concerns with regards to actually taking them all out and in their 'parent packs' expressing the non use of them and if any doubt to seek somebody who knows. is there a letter or website i forward him on to get these out?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back