Automatic cow brush motor connections ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Automatic cow brush motor connections ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi , i went out to a automatic cow brush that had melted its 1ph motor the other day and after stripping the unit off the wall , due to the size of it we decided that the client would take it in to a re winders local to him as i by the time i had gone back to the yard to fetch one of our plant trailers and took it and fetched it back from our usual ones it would have been around a 140 or so mile round trip .

The trouble is that the ones he used , did the usual favourite trick that most re winders seem to like doing of removing any trace of how to re connect it !
Normally i either know how anyway or we mark and photograph the old one prior to removing , but as it was sent as a whole unit ( brush and frame ) i had expected that they would have had the courtesy to have just reconnected the wires into the new motor they have fitted and not just chop the cable instead !

The unit has a small pcb that has a 1ph feed in , a feed out and return for a micro switch that sensors when the cow wants to use it and then the feed out via 4 conductors to the single phase motor ?

This one has me stumped and as we do not deal with the re winders he used , we are getting the old " Your electrician should know this ! " , any ideas appreciated !

It is a 1ph electric cow brush made by Agricow

Hopefully the pictures tell more of the story !?

Hi Tony , this was my first port of call , ( i did not want to get one of your infamous " Let me just Goggle that for you ! " replies :13:) but i could not find a definitive answer at that point , but will give it ago again now .

Outspoken thanks for the reply , i will do as Tony suggests again , as it is better to understand than just copy . And then i will probably end up just copying what you have said anyway !!!!:bucktooth:

Ok...Try this..

Remove both bridges, you do not need them on this.

Terminal 4 (control board) connects to U1 (Blue feed to Cap)
Terminal 7 (control board) connects to W2 (Z2 core)
Terminal 5 (control board) connects to U1
Terminal 6 (Control board) connects to U2

The control board should then do it's thing as before.

Am i right in thinking that is a typo for terminal 4 and should go to z1 via the blue lead on the capacitor ?

Here's the two wiring options

[ElectriciansForums.net] Automatic cow brush motor connections ?

You need to strap U2 to either Z2 or Z1 depending on rotation direction.

Bear in mind your motor may also have a thermistor that needs wiring to the control board. I couldn't make out your control diagram very well.

Whatever you do check two things immediately when you start it running.
1 Running current, mustn't exceed what's on the motor info plate. If it does it's probably wired wrong. Marginally high run current will overheat the bearings and it will fail in a few weeks maybe, very high run current will result in the stator windings breaking down to low IR.

2 Rotation direction. Will probably be critical and if incorrect it may throw the primary or secondary drive or damage other components so check it before linkages are refitted.

Last edited:
I'm torn between appearing ignorant and being curious but I can't help myself any longer. What the hell is the cow brush for? I realise from its name it's a device for grooming cows but why? Is it just for their pleasure or is for health reasons? Just for my curiosity can you post a few pics of the entire contraption?

A bit of both , but mainly pleasure !
They bloody love it ! And this one is apparently on the go near on full time .
Cows love to scratch , if you get just the right spot on their lower back you can actually get them to fall down !:devil:

The drawings that i have posted are for a newer control pcb ( The only ones i can find ) , and it appears that it is an option if required .

I do not know if this one is set for that option as it has jumpers and not dip switches as in the drawings i have got , but the brush does definitely look like it has only gone in one direction .

If the control board runs the motor in both directions then you'll need to remove both straps in the terminal box and I'd guess with the four wire connection it could be bi-directional. To be honest there's way too many variables for my liking. If it was my job it would be on the workshop bench by now and I'd be testing the outputs from the board.

I suppose there's no point asking for a photo of the motor connections before you sent it for rewind? If not I'd speak to the agents and get the connection info from them, at the end of the day they should be able to supply you with a circuit diagram that has the U1, U2, Z1 and Z2 connections shown on it.

As per post #1 , i did not bother as i expected the re winder to reconnect the new motor and not just chop the cable .
And as it was not our re winders they are just giving the standard " Doesn't your electrician know what he is doing" ! .:censored:

They charge enough , it would be nice to find a helpful one someday !

Hi , i went out to a automatic cow brush that had melted its 1ph motor the other day and after stripping the unit off the wall , due to the size of it we decided that the client would take it in to a re winders local to him as i by the time i had gone back to the yard to fetch one of our plant trailers and took it and fetched it back from our usual ones it would have been around a 140 or so mile round trip .

The trouble is that the ones he used , did the usual favourite trick that most re winders seem to like doing of removing any trace of how to re connect it !
Normally i either know how anyway or we mark and photograph the old one prior to removing , but as it was sent as a whole unit ( brush and frame ) i had expected that they would have had the courtesy to have just reconnected the wires into the new motor they have fitted and not just chop the cable instead !

The unit has a small pcb that has a 1ph feed in , a feed out and return for a micro switch that sensors when the cow wants to use it and then the feed out via 4 conductors to the single phase motor ?

This one has me stumped and as we do not deal with the re winders he used , we are getting the old " Your electrician should know this ! " , any ideas appreciated !

It is a 1ph electric cow brush made by Agricow

Hopefully the pictures tell more of the story !?
isn`t this the common lesser spotted cleaning lady?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Automatic cow brush motor connections ?

One more question occurred to me, did you find out the reason the original motor burned out? It's possible the control board may have caused it...just a thought, it might be worth investigating before the rewound motor suffers the same fate.

Reply to Automatic cow brush motor connections ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net