Consumer unit fire - advice please | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer unit fire - advice please in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not only that, but the owners must have noticed a rise in their usual electricity bill, as all that heat is being supplied by a current draw, that is being registered the leccy meter!! Might be an idea for your insurers to ask for copies of the quarterly elec bills over the last 3 years...

it's a well known fact that tails can become a bit loose over time, due to expansion and contraction of the conductors and the terminals into which they are terminated. this is the main reason why screw terminal JBs have been banned if not accessible for maintenance. also, a meter change may have disturbed the tails. other factors like increased load due to a silly hi powered shower having been fitted might also have contributed to the problem. this was installed only about 18 months ( not by me ). fire brigade and DSNO had attended 11.00pm night before.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer unit fire - advice please

it's a well known fact that tails can become a bit loose over time, due to expansion and contraction of the conductors and the terminals into which they are terminated. this is the main reason why screw terminal JBs have been banned if not accessible for maintenance. also, a meter change may have disturbed the tails. other factors like increased load due to a silly hi powered shower having been fitted might also have contributed to the problem. this was installed only about 18 months ( not by me ). fire brigade and DSNO had attended 11.00pm night before.

View attachment 20458

Lol. Electricians forum page up in background...was that planned??

like others have said, funny how customer hasn't been able to smell anything, i got called out the other week customer says there is a funny smell from near the cu, that was a loose N, just a thought the work you did originally you would of provided a dist board schedule have an independent check done or tell insurance to check to see if any other points have been added a long shot i know but you never know

I always take a photo of CU's now whenever I install one, showing the inside, plus the cover on with all relevant stickers.
Doesn't help this situation, but something I'd advise all electricians to do.

I always take a photo of CU's now whenever I install one, showing the inside, plus the cover on with all relevant stickers.
Doesn't help this situation, but something I'd advise all electricians to do.

I do this but not for your reasons. I do so many tests that I take a photo of mains, db with cover on and db with cover off. Incase I miss something for one, and also because Ill remember the place if I see the board again. Address means nothing lol.

Wiped 300+ photos off my phone 2 weeks ago

Not only that, but the owners must have noticed a rise in their usual electricity bill, as all that heat is being supplied by a current draw, that is being registered the leccy meter!! Might be an idea for your insurers to ask for copies of the quarterly elec bills over the last 3 years...

In this case, 'all that heat' is due to increased contact resistance on a faulty terminal, which would lead to slightly reduced voltage on the load side. To produce an increase in current would require a line to neutral or earth fault with low enough resistance to draw an appreciable current, but not so low as to blow the main fuse. I suspect that this is an unlikely cause.

In fact, it doesn't take very much power to cause that sort of damage if present over an extended period. Imagine a GLS lamp of only, say, 25W, with a close-fitting thermoplastic cover. It would soon be a blob of melted plastic.

If it is a well known fact that tails can become loose, then surely the design of the termination is flawed. Plenty more out there then, just waiting to catch fire.

Along with the halogen dl's and cables covered in 10 inches of insulation. The more properties I work in, the more concerned I'm getting about the state of our housing stock, especially as showers get bigger and consumption goes up.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I always state on the cert that the screws were tighted to x nm . Whilst this does not help in your case it does show that manufactures instructions have been followed. I would never accept liability and its documented for all to see.

Ben

View attachment 20458
Did that come out of Nick Owens fire damaged board?!

You could always get your customers to witness connection tightness.
We do a lot of inspections in commercial settings and have started to use a thermal imaging camera but obviously on established boards that are working as we inspect so they are running the connected machinery.

You could always get your customers to witness connection tightness.
We do a lot of inspections in commercial settings and have started to use a thermal imaging camera but obviously on established boards that are working as we inspect so they are running the connected machinery.

I had a recommendation from our insurers to have a full thermal imaging camera survey undertaken in a large building on all DB's. I received a report within the week giving "no issues of concern", i week later we had fire alarm activation due to smoke in an electrical riser. The cause was a loose connection on a 100a fuse holder.

As old PAT testing proverb say............. it was fine when i left it !

Reply to Consumer unit fire - advice please in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net