Earthing to armour of SWA | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earthing to armour of SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Seen it quite often where the armour of SWA is not earthed, at all, just removed and cores used as live, neutral and earth.
IMHO this is completely wrong for the first installation (what were they thinking??) and should be rectified urgently if found on an EICR ie code C1/2.

What do you guys think? What code? I'm interested to find out.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

I've cleaned up the kebab.

I'd agree, there are some poor swa glanding off around.

I have found that using the Wiska boxes with their earthing bars very useful in providing a good mechanical connection while providing a reliable earthing continuity along its length.
poor aint the word...its clear that theres some going round `installing`..lol.....installing SWA who cant make it off/gland it.....pathetic really...

poor aint the word...its clear that theres some going round `installing`..lol.....installing SWA who cant make it off/gland it.....pathetic really...
I'm a complete novice in the electrical world yet I can see the benefits of glanding off correctly and actually find it very easy to do. I keep forgetting some people are just lazy.

I'm a complete novice in the electrical world yet I can see the benefits of glanding off correctly and actually find it very easy to do. I keep forgetting some people are just lazy.

I think it's ignorance rather than lazyness. Jobs on the cheap with people doing work they are not able, or qualified, to do.

I think it's ignorance rather than lazyness. Jobs on the cheap with people doing work they are not able, or qualified, to do.
it all boils down to competency.....or incompetency.....
SWA is a fact....its a very common cable...theres lots of it around....and theres no excuse for not glanding it rite....it isn`t hard to do......

well the benefits of glanding it correctly are security and continuity of earthed metalic covering.....thats the whole point of SWA....

Yes, I think it is laziness and the pressure to finish the job.

The key to success is to take your time get it right first time. You'll always be in demand and the customers will always have you back....... to do more work !
No excuse whatsoever for not installing swa and glands correctly, unless you don't know how to do the job. If you don't, you shouldn't be doing it. Simple.

No excuse whatsoever for not installing swa and glands correctly, unless you don't know how to do the job. If you don't, you shouldn't be doing it. Simple.

Difficult to make that call when you have a demanding corporate boss making you work silly hours doing four or five jobs a day.

There are a lot of 'competent ' sparks out there who just 'dog it in'. Its more than competence its a question of morality.

Difficult to make that call when you have a demanding corporate boss making you work silly hours doing four or five jobs a day.

There are a lot of 'competent ' sparks out there who just 'dog it in'. Its more than competence its a question of morality.
Agreed. And, as you insinuate, it sure brings the word 'competent' into question doesn't it ?
Priorities should always take precedent, unless your sat behind a desk squeezing every cent out of a job. That's when 'priorities' go ---- up on too many occasions. Why bother with testing and certification.lol!

Last edited:
I've cleaned up the kebab.

I'd agree, there are some poor swa glanding off around.

I have found that using the Wiska boxes with their earthing bars very useful in providing a good mechanical connection while providing a reliable earthing continuity along its length.

Which Wiska boxes are you talking about? We have recently completed a large Voice Alarm installation and all the speaker lines are supervised. The majority of the installation is in SWA and there is a break in the earth somewhere :'( thats todays fault find. Shame all the junction boxes are on walls 4 metres up! The only Wiska boxes i have used are from Neweys and i don't think you would be able to terminate an armoured into them?

Which Wiska boxes are you talking about? We have recently completed a large Voice Alarm installation and all the speaker lines are supervised. The majority of the installation is in SWA and there is a break in the earth somewhere :'( thats todays fault find. Shame all the junction boxes are on walls 4 metres up! The only Wiska boxes i have used are from Neweys and i don't think you would be able to terminate an armoured into them?

I use the small black ones 100*100*50 approx. You can get a brass sleeve that fits inside across the two SWA glands and secured by screwing brass screws down onto the glands. A secondary screw ties a fly lead to a cpc terminal. Its all internal and does not compromise the IP rating.

I don't fancy doing all that up a ladder 4m up in the sky though !

Reply to Earthing to armour of SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net