Earthing to armour of SWA | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earthing to armour of SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Seen it quite often where the armour of SWA is not earthed, at all, just removed and cores used as live, neutral and earth.
IMHO this is completely wrong for the first installation (what were they thinking??) and should be rectified urgently if found on an EICR ie code C1/2.

What do you guys think? What code? I'm interested to find out.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Just as a little side note to your cats chomping ferrel rodent wild life - my family business for the past 20 years has been the manufacture and formulation of pest control products, namely rat and mouse poisons. We manufacture circa 10 tonnes per day of rat poison in the form of wax, grain, pasta and gel based products.

If your cats regularly kill mice and eat them (which is just part and parcel of being a cat) but have left a few half eaten ones laying around, as gruesome as it might be, its worth checking the contents of the mouses stomach to see if it has ingested any poison. With the use of rodent control poisons being so frequent and wide spread, the chance of secondary poisoning to cats, birds and dogs etc is quite common place. It would take a considerable amount of poison to actually kill your cat however, so no need for concern but just a word of advice.

might be worth checking. If someone has a rodent problem in your area then your cat may be frequently ingesting quantities of poison which accumulate over time.
but how many people will go knocking round neighbours doors asking `excuse me please...but i heard you have a rodent problem...is this true?`...how many would answer if they did?

I have been unfortunate enough to see most of the sins described here in person, I don't honestly see the issue people have with SWA, but then again, I'm bloody good at it!, well the smaller stuff anyway!. The worst I have seen was a flying SWA, poked through a knock out in a plastic CU, striped back and the cores terminated, and what about the armour? Well they diddnt chop it out like most do!, they sleeved every strand of armour individually with earth sheathing, and terminated them in the earth bar of the CU!!!, and this was in a site office!!! The mind boggles

I have been unfortunate enough to see most of the sins described here in person, I don't honestly see the issue people have with SWA, but then again, I'm bloody good at it!, well the smaller stuff anyway!. The worst I have seen was a flying SWA, poked through a knock out in a plastic CU, striped back and the cores terminated, and what about the armour? Well they diddnt chop it out like most do!, they sleeved every strand of armour individually with earth sheathing, and terminated them in the earth bar of the CU!!!, and this was in a site office!!! The mind boggles
The problem must have taken some thought, and time, to solve. At least they earthed it. Hope the sleeving wasn't oversized. Amazing.

Glands, What are glands? I can earth the armour with a bit of wire and insulation tape! (Tape removed for photo) [ElectriciansForums.net] Earthing to armour of SWA

but how many people will go knocking round neighbours doors asking `excuse me please...but i heard you have a rodent problem...is this true?`...how many would answer if they did?

You don't need to ask your neighbours - my point was if the mouse is acting a bit daft and a little slow, its probably dying as a result of poisoning. So if your cat is dragging in mice that look a bit wobbly, it might be worth checking. More frequently used baits will need to be digested in large quantities to do any fatal damage but the effects are cumulative.

I don't think people would take to kindly you to knocking on their door and suggesting they have a rodent problem haha - mind you my old neighbours when i lived in high wycombe had a wall of refuse sacks filled with household food waste stacked about 9ft high across the adjacent fence panels on their side. There were probably in the region of 80-100 bags of food waste and general sh*t that remained there for about 6 months until i complained for the 150th time and they eventually had a big house tidy out. You should have seen the stuff coming out of that house. Needless to say - we had a rat problem in our garden as a result

Its not really a moot point, we are given the opportunity to earth both ends of SWA, who could argue that it was not good practice?

SWA should be concentric cable imho.

Reply to Earthing to armour of SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net