Electrian gone AWOL | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electrian gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jamesmf

Hi,

I've had an extension built and the 2nd fix electrical is all done and all the electrician needs to do is test and issue cert. Problem is I can't get hold of him.

I have tried asking other electricians if they will test but all so far have refused as they didn't do the design and install. Its all that's holding up my completion cert. from the council.

Other than track him down, what can I do? I have photos of 1st fix and the design, which I guess is no good.

Cheers

James

Not that sensible, the OP has said he has been trying to get hold of the Electrician without success, if someone owed me money and they were trying to get hold of me I would contact them lol, more than likely on Holiday :grin:

"I suggest it was Reverend/Mr. Green, in the Hall, with the revolver."
"I suggest it was Colonel Mustard, in the Conservatory, with the spanner/wrench"
"I suggest it was Professor Plum, in the Billiard Room, with the dagger/knife."
"I suggest it was Mrs. Peacock, in the Dining Room, with the Candlestick."
"I suggest it was Mrs. White, in the Library, with the Rope."
"I suggest it was Miss Scarlett/Scarlet, in the Kitchen, with the Lead Piping/pipe."

Not that sensible, the OP has said he has been trying to get hold of the Electrician without success, if someone owed me money and they were trying to get hold of me I would contact them lol, more than likely on Holiday :grin:

Hard to judge without all the details! As a few have mentioned - the OP's story doesn't ring true, he's not telling us something!

This could also be a ruse to get info on how to get an installation certified and not pay the electrician at all. The gentle art of knocking.
Two sides to every story etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I sent the following message to my local BC officer...

"I think I may be able to get a NAPIT approved contractor as it says on NAPIT’s website…

Approved Document P is quite clear that a scheme member can only self-certificate (in other words notify the work through NAPIT) if they have carried out the installation work (clause 1.19). All other routes involve the work being notified to a building control body (the local authority or an approved inspector) before work starts. From that point there are still two ways in which a NAPIT member could be involved.
Clause 1.22 allows an unregistered installer to submit the BS7671 installation certificate and says that the building control body will take this into account. If an appropriately qualified NAPIT members has carried out third party electrical inspection and testing for such an unregistered installer then they can complete the BS7671 installation certificate providing they follow the advice given in the question & answer above and only sign off the inspect and test element. The member cannot notify the job in this case.
Clause 1.26 allows the building control body to contract out inspection and testing. It is clear that the building control body must pay for this work and cannot require the householder to pay. In this case building control bodies would normally appoint a member of a Competent Persons Scheme. Again, the member cannot notify the job in this case.

So basically this says that I can get a NAPIT approved contractor to inspect and test but they can’t notify, which is fine as I will be notifying you once I get the cert.?"

And my BC officer replied...

"Your last statement in your email is exactly what we are asking for. You can get any suitable qualified electrician with an inspection and test qualification or the new supervisors qualification to carry out the test and provide the certificate. They do not need to be Napit, or a member of any competent persons scheme if they have the correct qualifications."

I have so far contacted 2 local electricians and both have refused to do it.

They apparently changed the rules in April this year. I quote the governments wording from their website...

"All electrical work in dwelling must be carried out in line with Part P of the Building Regulations. From 6 April 2014 a person who is registered with a third party certification scheme for electrical installations in dwellings will be able to check domestic electrical work that is undertaken by others and certify that it is compliant with the building regulations."

Not sure were to turn now!

Cheers

James

James did you follow any of our advice in previous posts.
Have you tried to contact the original electrician other than ringing his mobile, there could be a genuine reason why he can't come back.
I don't wish to imply anything about you but as I said previously it is very very strange for an electrician to complete all works and then just vanish without payment.

James did you follow any of our advice in previous posts.
Have you tried to contact the original electrician other than ringing his mobile, there could be a genuine reason why he can't come back.
I don't wish to imply anything about you but as I said previously it is very very strange for an electrician to complete all works and then just vanish without payment.

They just may do if its the OP covering his tracks!

Why don't you go and pay him a visit? You MUST have invoices with an address on!

I do ring him and email. When he does answer his phone, he says he is busy and will call me back but doesn't.

To be honest, I just want this sorted so I'm happy to employ another electrician to get it done.

^^^^ Agree
There is something not quite right here, could it be that.............................................. fill in the Blanks!

I do ring him and email. When he does answer his phone, he says he is busy and will call me back but doesn't.

To be honest, I just want this sorted so I'm happy to employ another electrician to get it done.

And you owe him money.

I simply don't believe this.

I reackon, at best, you paid him with no thought about getting the cert or notification..........

You neglected to tell us that bit 57 post's ago!

Reply to Electrian gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net