Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYBlues

Hi Guys
I’m no electrician but I’m going to do some electrical work in my bathroom and understand the issues surrounding Part P and the building regulations. However I would rather be up front and say I’m still going to tackle it (although I’m not a complete novice at electrical work, replacing my Consumer Unit a few years ago and rewired my kitchen).
I’ve done a electrical drawing of how I think the wiring could be done, I will be using Wago Light boxes and Wago Junction boxes. The lights are 9w each and although the fan isolating switch shows it in the bathroom area they are actually going to be installed in the airing cupboard nearby.

Because of the extracting fan units (Timed) I’m going to take the power for the bathroom and on suite straight from its own 6amp MCB on the RCD unit (protected after the 30mA breaker on the RCD)

Please feel free to comment on the drawing and if I’ve gone wrong somewhere or I need to incorporate additional protection / fuse please let me know.

There may be one additional shaving socket in the main bathroom depending on which mirror/cabinet I purchase.

Regards
DIYBlues

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!!

The biggest problem we have got is that anyone can purchase electrical parts from numerous outlets untill this changes and you have to produce some type of photo id proving you are qualified and registered to install the parts you are buying diyers of any standard of knowledge will carry on doing exactly what op is intending to do. Im affraid this includes qualified sparks who are not fully approved or part p there are hundreds of sparks out there who pay their fees to the scam providers plus all other expences trying to do it right. It needs a big public campain to show people how dangerous electricity can be.
Sorry to go on but ive spent 3 days last week finding numerous diyers efforts at one property that im suprise hasnt burnt to the ground by now.

The biggest problem we have got is that anyone can purchase electrical parts from numerous outlets untill this changes and you have to produce some type of photo id proving you are qualified and registered to install the parts you are buying diyers of any standard of knowledge will carry on doing exactly what op is intending to do. Im affraid this includes qualified sparks who are not fully approved or part p there are hundreds of sparks out there who pay their fees to the scam providers plus all other expences trying to do it right. It needs a big public campain to show people how dangerous electricity can be.
Sorry to go on but ive spent 3 days last week finding numerous diyers efforts at one property that im suprise hasnt burnt to the ground by now.

agree with you up to a point, but i have to disagree with the whole concept of having to pay these leeches annual fees to be able to work.

So do i tel but its like everything else i dont like having to do its here and dont think its going away soon so but why should i have to and others dont ? Who are how ever silly it sounds breaking the law.

The biggest problem we have got is that anyone can purchase electrical parts from numerous outlets untill this changes and you have to produce some type of photo id proving you are qualified
Sorry BES but, I can walk into Plumb Center on Monday, buy a boiler, a load of pipe and a load of radiators and go off and install a heating system without any questions being asked. Similarly with parts for my car, who at the local motorist's discount centre gives a damn if I know what I'm doing with brake pads (the only difference is my car has to have an annual safety check) I can buy slates for the roof and the guys at the merchants will wave me a cheery goodbye. Etc etc etc.
All the above examples require no proof of competence at all and they all could mean someone could die.

any qualified spark should be able to give LABC a copy of his qualifications and then be allowed to work unhindered. that is assuming that LABC should be involved in electrical work anyway, when their inspectors will happily moan about the lack of capping behind dry lining, yet merrily sign off a job that has just had 12" of fibreglass insulation stuffed all over halogen downlights.

True trev but i still think that people arent so aware how dangerous electricity can be . Out of 10 customer i visit id say 1 knows what part p is but if i ask them about corgi or gas safe as it is its about 5 out of 10 some saying they would never let someone work on thier boiler till they have seen some id or reg number that seems to tell me something.

I aggree tel job im on at minute never seen so much fiber glass cables all hidden. Found live cables taped together , old thermostat from ch still live feed attached under lagging old jbs with that many cables lid just on no sleeving on cpcs and lots more.

True trev but i still think that people arent so aware how dangerous electricity can be . Out of 10 customer i visit id say 1 knows what part p is but if i ask them about corgi or gas safe as it is its about 5 out of 10 some saying they would never let someone work on thier boiler till they have seen some id or reg number that seems to tell me something.
And the same people will happily work on their own cars, but restricting the sale of items will never happen. There are too many organisations with too many vested interests to make that anything more than a pipe dream mate.

A few questions for you, where would you draw the line? Would it be ok for a non plasterer to go to a shed and buy a bag of multifinish? After all there are inherent dangers with inhaling dust. What about a non bricklayer? can he go and buy a pallet of bricks?

I'm not deliberately trying to be difficult here and I actually support what you're saying, I just think that what your proposing has implications that would never be allowed.

Whether part P is a good thing for safety or not, the point is that many of us go through a lot of hassle and expense so that we can conform with the law, while others don't bother. It makes me mad when I hear that a sparky has wired up a new extension, but not issued a certificate because they have no test gear and are not registered....and what do LBC say to the homeowner? "oh, well you will have to find a registered electrician to do an EICR for you then." How about "Give us his name so we can persue this, as he has broken the law"?

We moan if someone doesn't pay their road tax, or insure their car, regardless of whether or not they are a good driver because we feel that if we have to do it, why shouldn't they?
Part P is the same to me... I have done it, so should they!

Rant over.

My main problem is the control of part P, it's been passed to bodies that are financially driven. I would rather be registered with a government agency, read LABC, and pay them a nominal fee for registration. There's parity throughout the system which needs rectifying before the DIY Daves can be reigned in.

Trev
Correct me if im wrong but dosent new zealand have a scheme that you cant buy any electrical equipment unless you are a reg electrician and some other countries as well.

if it were organised properly, only qualified sparks allowed to buy gear, the suppliers would still sell the same amount of gear, just not to the general pubic.

Reply to Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net