Currently reading:
UK fast track 2365 level 2 and 3 via TradeSkills4U - is it a good idea?

Discuss fast track 2365 level 2 and 3 via TradeSkills4U - is it a good idea? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first post and I apologise if I have done anything wrong.

I am severely in need of help and reassurance on the pathway I am aiming to go through to train to be an electrician.

The current chronological pathway I am looking to follow is:
-fast track C&G 2365 level 2 and 3 via Tradeskills4u link: C&G 2365 Level 2&3 Diploma Course Package | Tradeskills4u - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course
  • become a mate, then become an improver (become an improver as soon as possible, if possible avoid the mate step)
  • become gold card member through completion of NVQ3 followed by AM2 exam through a work based portfolio while working as an improver.

I really need help from people in the industry as I have key questions:
  • from your experience in the industry, is it likely I will be able to get mate and improver employment following my fast track 2365 level 2 and 3 qualifications.
  • are there better providers for fast track 2365 courses in the south east? Tradeskills4u has mixed feedback
  • through this pathway, am I restricting myself to domestic electronics? In the long run I would like to do industrial following some time in domestic
  • importantly, does it make sense to do it this way!

Background: I have studied a degree in biological sciences and found that the type of employment I will get through graduate jobs just don't pay well, graduate jobs are near impossible to find, as well as the fact I feel the working environment for most of these jobs does not match me. I am looking to be an electrician due to an interest in electronics and wanting to work in an environment with problem solving on a daily basis, a well as a good outlook for long term growth in the sector.

The reason I would like to pay money to fast track the 2365 courses is that, being 25, I want to have a career as soon as possible. While I understand college is cheaper, as far as I understand, it will still take a couple of years just to get the 2365 level 2 and 3. Will this route speed things up for me?

I really appreciate any feedback you can give me. My family is not a trade family, I have no contacts around me who I can ask for help with this so I feel quite overwhelmed - especially in light of the investment that fast tracking the first two courses entails. End note: I understand that the fast track will be very full on but I am good at studying.

The fast track will get you the technical qualifications quicker but will not get you the necessary experience any quicker.

To be an electrician, especially a good one, you need experience and there is no fast track route to that.
Hi Dave, is it realistic to gain experience by becoming a mate then an improver following the succesful completion of the 2365 2 and 3? Or will I have a hard time finding mate jobs followed by improver jobs from your experience?

Upvote 0
Another option is an apprenticeship, which gains experience at the same time as knowledge. Not necessarily easy finding someone to take on an adult apprentice, but then neither is it necessarily easy finding an opening as a mate or improver. A lot of people looking for work as a mate or improver might find themselves stuck in a loop on temporary contracts on which they'll be a glorified labourer. If a company takes someone on as an apprentice, they'll be trained to that company's standard and more likely to be offered continued work if halfway competent.

Look at job openings and there are twenty vacancies for sparks for every mate or improver position.

Upvote 0
Hi Dave, is it realistic to gain experience by becoming a mate then an improver following the succesful completion of the 2365 2 and 3? Or will I have a hard time finding mate jobs followed by improver jobs from your experience?

Mate isn't really a defined term so what experience you gain will depend on how the mates are treated in a particular company.

Within some companies electricians mate can be a labouring position with no training element at all whereas other companies use the term synonymously with apprentice.

Upvote 0
Mate isn't really a defined term so what experience you gain will depend on how the mates are treated in a particular company.

Within some companies electricians mate can be a labouring position with no training element at all whereas other companies use the term synonymously with apprentice.

In these parts it's generally used to describe a labourer who works with an electrician - someone who can help pull in cables or get stuff.

Upvote 0
Another option is an apprenticeship, which gains experience at the same time as knowledge. Not necessarily easy finding someone to take on an adult apprentice, but then neither is it necessarily easy finding an opening as a mate or improver. A lot of people looking for work as a mate or improver might find themselves stuck in a loop on temporary contracts on which they'll be a glorified labourer. If a company takes someone on as an apprentice, they'll be trained to that company's standard and more likely to be offered continued work if halfway competent.

Look at job openings and there are twenty vacancies for sparks for every mate or improver position.
Yes I have noticed that mate and improver jobs are pretty hard to come by. I'm really hoping that there is demand in the sector in light of renewable energy advancements and this changes, otherwise I'll just have to be a mate until I find a company to work for as an improver, I'm hoping by being open to moving to find the work I can overcome the shortage of listings.

Having looked for apprenticeships as well, I can confidentally say that this option is even more dire, especially for my age group. Another factor is that the pay rate is so bad that I may as well work as a labourer or a mate in the mean time instead. And yes I agree, I have noticed a far more fruitful offering for fully qualified electricians.

A key factor behind the decision to train to become an electrician instead of utilizing my degree is that even a mate or a general labouring job actually pays as well as or better than most graduate jobs available to me; hopefully through competency I can get my foot in the door and make it work.

Upvote 0

Thank you for this, I think what I will do is clearly outline my intentions to build experience by ontacting companies directly as well as getting any mate jobs I can get if I have difficulty getting work with a company that is willing to provide more rigorous training. Out of interest, have you seen people succesfully progress to gold card status through this route?

Very much appreciate everyone's help so far in this thread. Kind regards, Max

Upvote 0
Out of interest, have you seen people succesfully progress to gold card status through this route?

I don't know much about gold cards as I have never had or needed one in 20 odd years of being an electrician. I have seen, and helped, people qualify as electricians through the non-apprenticeship route you are talking about though.

Upvote 0
Yes I have noticed that mate and improver jobs are pretty hard to come by. I'm really hoping that there is demand in the sector in light of renewable energy advancements and this changes, otherwise I'll just have to be a mate until I find a company to work for as an improver, I'm hoping by being open to moving to find the work I can overcome the shortage of listings.

Having looked for apprenticeships as well, I can confidentally say that this option is even more dire, especially for my age group. Another factor is that the pay rate is so bad that I may as well work as a labourer or a mate in the mean time instead. And yes I agree, I have noticed a far more fruitful offering for fully qualified electricians.

A key factor behind the decision to train to become an electrician instead of utilizing my degree is that even a mate or a general labouring job actually pays as well as or better than most graduate jobs available to me; hopefully through competency I can get my foot in the door and make it work.

In these parts it's rare to find a mate on site. Generally you'll have an apprentice who's learning the trade if an extra pair of hands are needed.

In theory a first year apprentice of any age could be limited to the first year apprentice wage, but that would be down to the individual company and my experience of working as an adult apprentice was very different and it's not uncommon to pull down a higher wage than many graduates part way through an apprenticeship. Conversely, the best paid sparks earn of the basis of experience and ability - do you think someone fresh from a fast track course is going to hit peak earnings faster than an apprentice who has learned on site from day one?

You need to look at this from a different perspective if money is the prime motivating factor. Qualifications are an entry ticket, but ability is what determines how much you earn or whether or not you remain employed. Free rides exist, but those guys tend to achieve poor rates of pay and most companies will have an underperforming spark out the door after a short trial period. You could gain qualifications and hang out your shingle as a domestic spark, but that requires a wealth of knowledge that isn't strictly related to electrical work and it won't be fun having a customer looking over your shoulder when things aren't going as expected. Basically I'm trying to point out that this isn't a means of earning easy money and if the economy slows down competition for jobs will become fierce. It's a dog eat dog world that loads of tradesmen quickly exit when jobs aren't plentiful.

The opportunites are out there, but it's not a straightforward process. Lot's of people take the route you're looking into and come out the other side with a successful career, but many pay significant sums to learn and never manage to get beyond the classroom. If you're serious about this it can be done, but nothing will fall into your lap.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to fast track 2365 level 2 and 3 via TradeSkills4U - is it a good idea? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back