Currently reading:
Fraudulent EICR

Discuss Fraudulent EICR in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for your expert advice and thoughts on the EICR that was issued back in April 2021 for the house that we rent and live in.

When the inspection was carried out, the electrician said that it was Unsatisfactory due to 2 C2's.

They were:
1. Db1 has no RCD protection on any of the circuits to allow for faster trip out times under fault conditions.
2. Batten light fitting outside the bathroom is broken.

There were 3 C3's also.
(Not necessarily a issue)

He said that he needed to get the go ahead from the landlord to do the remedial works which was understandable.

After 2 weeks we chased the landlord through the letting agent who said that they couldn't get hold of the electrician to find out when he would do the remedial works that the landlord had agreed to.
A week or so later the letting agents sent copy of the EICR report which was Satisfactory.
The report had the 2 C2's and 3 C3's noted and stated that the work had been carried out and rectified.

This was not the case and had not been done.

A month later the electrician arranged through the letting agent to do the remedial works.

When he arrived I challenged him about the EICR and he said "Your landlord wanted a Satisfactory report and that's what he got".

So nearly 2 months after the inspection was carried out the works were done a month after the EICR issued as Satisfactory.

We queried it with the letting agent and they said "You have a Satisfactory report and we can't do anything as we're not qualified electricians."

He used his NAPIT membership number to authenticate the report and they told me that at the time the inspection was carried out his membership did not cover doing EICR's and a few months later his membership was revoked by NAPIT.
They wouldn't tell me why.
They told me they couldn't do anything about it as the landlord needed to complain as the contract was between them.

Anyway fast forward to now and we believe we have been left with a fraudulent EICR for 3 years.

Please could you guys tell me where we stand and what we can do about it as we don't know where to turn?

TIA guys.

So the works have been done? Ie, rcd protection added and broken fitting replaced?

Any electrician can do remedial work, not the one that did the EICR in the first place.

I don’t think it’s fraudulent. It just looks like the electrician submitted the. certificate before doing the work because the landlord was bugging him….
“There’s the paperwork… I’m having a bit of an issue just now, but I’ll get on it very soon”

Of course, it isn’t right, but as it is just now, the C2’s listed have been rectified… yes?

The important thing is you have a property with a safe electrical installation… which is more than a lot of tenants these days.

If the repairs have NOT been completed, then that’s a different matter.

So the works have been done? Ie, rcd protection added and broken fitting replaced?

Any electrician can do remedial work, not the one that did the EICR in the first place.

I don’t think it’s fraudulent. It just looks like the electrician submitted the. certificate before doing the work because the landlord was bugging him….
“There’s the paperwork… I’m having a bit of an issue just now, but I’ll get on it very soon”

Of course, it isn’t right, but as it is just now, the C2’s listed have been rectified… yes?

The important thing is you have a property with a safe electrical installation… which is more than a lot of tenants these days.

If the repairs have NOT been completed, then that’s a different matter.
Thanks for the reply littlespark.

Yes the works have been carried out.

Surely it is fraudulent because basically the document is Not Satisfactory as it's contents deem it to be contrary to its status.

It is also my understanding that if an EICR is Not Satisfactory the landlord should have forwarded a copy to the Local Authority, followed by something that indicates that works have been carried out and is now Satisfactory.

This has not happened in this case and the landlord has failed in his legal duty to ensure that due process was followed.

The electrician has knowingly created a document that is not factually correct and used his NAPIT membership to qualify the work when his membership does not extend to it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fraudulent EICR in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock